Open GL

Old August 9th 04, 12:27 PM
Granulated

On Sun, 8 Aug 2004 21:11:05 +0100 "Danny" meeped
:

Pat wrote:
I'm new at this, but what is open GL and what is the benefit? I'm
going to be upgrading my video card, but right now I have a Radeon
7500. I have a AMDXP 2000+. Should I install 1.0 gig DDR? What do
I need to do to play DOOM 3?

You need a better video card for a start, and not ATi - they're apparently
addressing their Opengl shortcomings but it's taken 2 years and their Doom 3
drivers are highly BETA.
Opengl is basically the best option if you're on an Nvidia card - where
Direct3D could be accused of being bloaty openg is more streamlined and
'pure'.
For a new card I'd recommend the 6800 GT or Ultra without hesitation - it is
an outstanding piece of technology.
As for the RAM, yes, if you can, get another gig - can never have too much
RAM. Your CPU will be a bottleneck though - I don't know if you'd be able to
play at medium settings with it even *with* a GT...

OpenGL ROCKS !!

(8¬ D)
--

) ___ ______
(__/_____) /) (, / )

Old August 9th 04, 12:30 PM
Granulated

On Mon, 09 Aug 2004 09:28:45 GMT "Sleepy" meeped :

Half-Life 2 (due shortly) will use D3D.

Half Life 2 will also have an OpenGL option.(unless they removed it post-leak !
)
(just like the original...which I always used because it gave me a considerably
better frame rate at the time)
--

) ___ ______
(__/_____) /) (, / )

Old August 9th 04, 03:06 PM
Danny

ccs wrote:

--
"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like
administering medicine to the dead." -- Thomas Paine

Actually you are both wrong. It means Open Graphics Library.

This man is correct.
Argh.

Old August 9th 04, 03:08 PM
Danny

McGrandpa wrote:
Martin S. wrote:
Open GL is short for Open Graphics Language. It was suppose to be an
alterative to Direct-X back when Direct-X was shaky at best. It never
really took off in a big way for the home market, except at ID
Software.

Except iD huh? Hah! Unreal,

Unreal was Glide.

UT,

D3D.

Half-Life

Opengl and Direct3D. Actually a mix of code that one - 10% of quake code,
20% of Quake 2, and 70% Valve's own.

and *MOST* 3D games
through the Q3A period were either OpenGL or either OGL or DX. And
it appears that 3Dfx Voodoo cards are what really caused the huge
surge in use of OGL in PC games.

Correct.

Open GL existed before there was ever DirectX. Open GL subset was
being run on the PC in DOS (even before Windows 3.1, I ran it in Win
3.0) for image viewing, animations, and some other things I never
figured out. OGL has grown a lot since then. Just like Windows has.
McG.

Let's face it - OGL is the king.

Old August 9th 04, 03:09 PM
Danny

Granulated wrote:

You need a better video card for a start, and not ATi - they're
apparently addressing their Opengl shortcomings but it's taken 2
years and their Doom 3 drivers are highly BETA.
Opengl is basically the best option if you're on an Nvidia card -
where Direct3D could be accused of being bloaty openg is more
streamlined and 'pure'.
For a new card I'd recommend the 6800 GT or Ultra without hesitation
- it is an outstanding piece of technology.
As for the RAM, yes, if you can, get another gig - can never have
too much RAM. Your CPU will be a bottleneck though - I don't know if
you'd be able to play at medium settings with it even *with* a GT...

OpenGL ROCKS !!

(8¬ D)

Knew I'd see *you* somewhere else Gran

Old August 9th 04, 04:19 PM
J. Clarke

Danny wrote:

YanquiDawg wrote:
Direct X has more 3D features than OGL

And yet this doesn't stop id from making the most advanced game engine
ever seen with OGL...

and MS is adding more all the
time. AFAIK,OGL hasn't been updated in years.

But the point of OGL is it's open! By being open it doesn't have to be
universally updated by an all-encompassing body - it's like Linux - an
individual user can do what they need to with it. This is why it's so much
a better option than D3D.

Since it's an interface standard, it _does_ need to be "universally updated
by an all-encompassing body" or you end up with a hundred different
mutually incompatible versions of it.

Personally,I'd rather
see OGL as the leading app,but the 800 lb. gorilla stomps anything in
it's way.

I concur there's more commercial polish in D3D, however synchronously
there's more bloat.
Financially speaking, OGL is a vastly better option.

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
Old August 9th 04, 04:54 PM
Danny

J. Clarke wrote:
Danny wrote:

YanquiDawg wrote:
Direct X has more 3D features than OGL

And yet this doesn't stop id from making the most advanced game
engine ever seen with OGL...

and MS is adding more all the
time. AFAIK,OGL hasn't been updated in years.

But the point of OGL is it's open! By being open it doesn't have to
be universally updated by an all-encompassing body - it's like Linux
- an individual user can do what they need to with it. This is why
it's so much a better option than D3D.

Since it's an interface standard, it _does_ need to be "universally
updated by an all-encompassing body" or you end up with a hundred
different mutually incompatible versions of it.

Tell that one to id.

Old August 9th 04, 05:09 PM
McGrandpa

Danny wrote:
McGrandpa wrote:
Martin S. wrote:
Open GL is short for Open Graphics Language. It was suppose to be an
alterative to Direct-X back when Direct-X was shaky at best. It
never really took off in a big way for the home market, except at ID
Software.

Except iD huh? Hah! Unreal,

Unreal was Glide.

THAT depended on your vid card and driver! GLide was for 3Dfx Voodoo.
there were actualy several options for renderer. Including a default
OpenGL, Direct3D, S3Metal, Software, and 3Dfx OpenGL (which would hang
the entire system big time if used and there was no Voodoo card in)

UT,

Nope, same. several options for renderer. Check the .ini file

D3D.

Half-Life

Opengl and Direct3D. Actually a mix of code that one - 10% of quake
code, 20% of Quake 2, and 70% Valve's own.

and *MOST* 3D games
through the Q3A period were either OpenGL or either OGL or DX. And
it appears that 3Dfx Voodoo cards are what really caused the huge
surge in use of OGL in PC games.

Correct.

Open GL existed before there was ever DirectX. Open GL subset was
being run on the PC in DOS (even before Windows 3.1, I ran it in Win
3.0) for image viewing, animations, and some other things I never
figured out. OGL has grown a lot since then. Just like Windows has.
McG.

Let's face it - OGL is the king.

I agree, only Mr. Greedy doesn't. You spell his name M$.
I'm just a lowly McG. I spend money

Old August 9th 04, 06:10 PM
Danny

McGrandpa wrote:

Unreal was Glide.

THAT depended on your vid card and driver! GLide was for 3Dfx Voodoo.
there were actualy several options for renderer. Including a default
OpenGL, Direct3D, S3Metal, Software, and 3Dfx OpenGL (which would hang
the entire system big time if used and there was no Voodoo card in)

Unreal was primarily written for Glide. Sure there were other options but
none ran anywhere near as well as Glide.

UT,

Nope, same. several options for renderer. Check the .ini file

They'd improved the D3D for the Unreal engine big time. It was about now
that Nvidia were emerging big time.

Let's face it - OGL is the king.

I agree, only Mr. Greedy doesn't. You spell his name M$.
I'm just a lowly McG. I spend money

Scum.

Old August 9th 04, 06:25 PM
J. Clarke

Danny wrote:

J. Clarke wrote:
Danny wrote:

YanquiDawg wrote:
Direct X has more 3D features than OGL

And yet this doesn't stop id from making the most advanced game
engine ever seen with OGL...

and MS is adding more all the
time. AFAIK,OGL hasn't been updated in years.

But the point of OGL is it's open! By being open it doesn't have to
be universally updated by an all-encompassing body - it's like Linux
- an individual user can do what they need to with it. This is why
it's so much a better option than D3D.

Since it's an interface standard, it _does_ need to be "universally
updated by an all-encompassing body" or you end up with a hundred
different mutually incompatible versions of it.

Tell that one to id.

You clearly have missed the point. Yes, id sells a product that works with
some versions of OpenGL. So what?