Not OT, right on topic: Ridiculous prices+rich(?) people=inflation in the market

Old August 8th 04, 12:47 AM
Mark Leuck

"GT-Force" wrote in message
Hi,

I just can't help but see that people are not ****ed off, but in fact

paying
these ridiculous graphics card bills.

I remember the days we were paying $65 for a really good graphics card.
Although I know that todays's cards are way way different than those

days',
I still think that especially latest generation cards are way overpriced.
$600?!? $500? Please, even $400?

The reason why you paid $65 for a real good card is because it wasn't a real
good card

I remember putting ram chips in an Oak VGA card, at that time graphics
accelerators did not exist and even that crappy Oak card was over $100

Always remember: If no one buys them, the prices WILL go down, and quick!
The rich, or dumb, pull the prices up, and keep them up by paying for

these
ridiculous price tags; and we all loose!

These cards (6800/800) are not what makes profit for ATI and Nvidia, they
always release the flagship products first for publicity then later bring
out the low-end stuff

The companies will milk the bejeesus out of us, if they can, nad they

will.
Why would not they? If I could sell something for the most that I could

sell
it for,i.e., not for what it's worth, why would I sell it for any lower,
right?

Nobody is forcing you to buy anything

Same applies to latest (especially hyped) games, a very good example is
Doom3. $55 for a game? Good God! No way I am paying that. Card prices are
already inflated, I am not going to help inflating the game prices now.

I just paid $44 at Frye's although the first rule of thumb in retail is
"charge what the market will bear"

Come on people, THINK and ACT! Please...
I thought that the 'computer community' was a little smarter than this.
Let's not be herd by the marketers of these companies.

What do you think? Spell your guts, it's your turn.

GT

Somehow I doubt its anyone but you who isn't thinking

Old August 8th 04, 12:47 AM
Mark Leuck

"Sham B" wrote in message
t.net...
Same applies to latest (especially hyped) games, a very good example
is Doom3. $55 for a game? Good God! No way I am paying that. Card
prices are already inflated, I am not going to help inflating the
game prices now.

Its all marketing. They know that x% of the buying population will pay

$55, and after that, another
y% will pay $30.00, and finally, it will sell for $20.00

Play them at their own game and buy in when you feel good with the price.

Quake 3 Arena goes for $10.99 at Amazon at the moment

$9.99 at Frye's, they were also selling Quake II at the same price

Old August 8th 04, 12:50 AM
Mark Leuck

"PRIVATE1964" wrote in message
I'm sorry but $55 is not that much for a game in 2004.
I remember buying Fleet Defender when it came out at Compusa. It was $50

for
that flight sim in 1994 when I bought it. I also remember other games

being
around $50 in 1994 when they first came out. If you want it right when it

comes
out be prepared to pay a higher amount.

I remember buying a Jumbo Jet Simulator and a submarine game for the Atari
(forget the name) for $50 each back in I think 1982

The Sub game was pretty neat but the Jumbo Jet Simulator was garbage, both
made by Thorn/EMI

Old August 8th 04, 12:52 AM
Mark Leuck

"tq96" wrote in message
edge state of the art. Total cost, 8 years ago, over $500. Total cost
today, at least $550. So how have things changed costwise, exactly?

Several years ago, NVidia's flagship product was the TNT2 Ultra. The

price
was about $250. Now it's the Geforce 6800 Ultra @ $500. That's a 100%
increase.

Better card tho

Old August 8th 04, 02:23 AM
PRIVATE1964

I remember buying a Jumbo Jet Simulator and a submarine game for the Atari
(forget the name) for $50 each back in I think 1982

The Sub game was pretty neat but the Jumbo Jet Simulator was garbage, both
made by Thorn/EMI

My point was. The prices haven't really changed since a long time ago. If
inflation was involved Doom3 would cost probably $75 or higher.
People seem to be so spoiled these days. They find such little things to pick
on. I'm not talking about the original OP here...just in general.
I've been reading a lot of posts in the forums about Doom3 and the complaints
are just so damn picky.

That's another thing. Now that you mention it I seem to remember games for the
Atari 2600 being close to $50 when they first came out also.
Old August 8th 04, 03:30 AM
Augustus

"tq96" wrote in message
edge state of the art. Total cost, 8 years ago, over $500. Total cost
today, at least $550. So how have things changed costwise, exactly?

Several years ago, NVidia's flagship product was the TNT2 Ultra. The

price
was about $250. Now it's the Geforce 6800 Ultra @ $500. That's a 100%
increase.

I bought a 64Mb Geforce2 GTS Pro when it was new. It was close to $400 Cdn.
They've always been high.

Old August 8th 04, 04:40 AM
Biz

"JK" wrote in message
Why must you buy the most expensive card? There are obviously those
who are willing to buy it though, otherwise it wouldn't be made. Think
of how much fancy cars, boats, etc. and other hobbies cost.

tq96 wrote:

edge state of the art. Total cost, 8 years ago, over $500. Total cost
today, at least $550. So how have things changed costwise, exactly?

Several years ago, NVidia's flagship product was the TNT2 Ultra. The

price
was about $250. Now it's the Geforce 6800 Ultra @ $500. That's a 100%
increase.

not really when you factor in the time value of money some economica
geeknoid I'm sure could say for sure, but $250 back then, is probably like
$400 today...

Old August 8th 04, 05:56 AM
The Black Wibble

"GT-Force" wrote in message
Hi,

I just can't help but see that people are not ****ed off, but in fact

paying
these ridiculous graphics card bills.

I remember the days we were paying $65 for a really good graphics card.
Although I know that todays's cards are way way different than those

days',
I still think that especially latest generation cards are way overpriced.
$600?!? $500? Please, even $400?

Always remember: If no one buys them, the prices WILL go down, and quick!
The rich, or dumb, pull the prices up, and keep them up by paying for

these
ridiculous price tags; and we all loose!

It would make no difference because lowering the price would make the
shortage of 6800 based cards more endemic than even now. nVidia can't
produce enough 6800 chips to satify demand which is why the prices for the
cards are so high. So you're just gonna have to wait until the volume of
cards produced is greatly increased before the competition for them is far
less than the now thereby causing prices to drop.

The companies will milk the bejeesus out of us, if they can, nad they

will.
Why would not they? If I could sell something for the most that I could

sell
it for,i.e., not for what it's worth, why would I sell it for any lower,
right?

Think! To "milk the bejeesus out of us" you'd sell 1000 $600 hyper-wobblets
pulling $600,000 in revenue rather than sell 20,000 $400 hyper-wobblets and
get $8,000,000 in revenue? This is benefiting you?

Tony.

Old August 8th 04, 06:20 AM
PRIVATE1964

I think the memory industry is ripping us off.
I remember in around 1985 when I purchased 8 megs of memory for around $200.
Now I can only get 1Gig of memory for around $200.
Same thing with the hardrive companies.........those *******s!!!
Old August 8th 04, 06:37 AM
The Black Wibble

"PRIVATE1964" wrote in message
I think the memory industry is ripping us off.
I remember in around 1985 when I purchased 8 megs of memory for around

$200.
Now I can only get 1Gig of memory for around $200.
Same thing with the hardrive companies.........those *******s!!!

They're milking us, I say... milking the little people! Those corporate
swine!

Tony.

Not OT, right on topic: Ridiculous prices+rich(?) people=inflation in the market GT-Force Ati Videocards 31 August 10th 04 05:05 PM
oops.. steve General 6 April 28th 04 01:43 AM
AMD Barton 2500 prices [email protected] General 1 January 2nd 04 01:15 PM
AMD slashes prices upto 40% Jerry McBride Overclocking AMD Processors 1 December 9th 03 04:46 AM
Higher prices for CDRs they say in a news article Mutley Cdr 7 November 9th 03 10:04 AM