Far Cry sucks the big one....

Old April 24th 04, 08:13 PM
Bruce Tyler

On Sat, 24 Apr 2004 15:17:44 +0100, "Danny"
wrote:

"Bruce Tyler" wrote in message
.. .

Funny you say this as I just updated my graphics drivers from 53.06 to
56.72 and FarCry literally took-off... I have an XP3000, 1Gb PC3200
and an FX5700 and I played virtually the whole game with the 53.06
drivers, then the 56.72's were recommended to me and I was told that
they would deal with textures a lot better and speed things up a
little too... Well,, they did both - the textures a "far-cry" better
than what they were 24 hrs ago and FarCry frame rate has gone up by I
would estimate about a 100% increase in speed...

Try the Starstorm driver - better image quality and framerates than even the
60.72's.

What are Starstorm drivers and where are they fpund..???

NO - I am not exaggerating. They really did speed up a hell of a lot..
Before, as the game started, I could actually count the frames as they
rolled by and in many other parts of the game I could also.. Now with
56.72 drivers, there is little or no frame rate decrease AND I have
set the graphics options a notch higher all-round...

I sort of have to agree with you on the game content though... I was
really enjoyng this game until the experimental mutants came along...
Sometimes, I swear that games writers have little or no imagination,
as this theme turns up in every second or third game = BORING,,
BORING,, BORING..!!!

What started out as a man on man warfare, soon turned into a "Lets
kill the mutants" type of shooter... I rapidly lost interest... I DID
however, finish the game today...

I fnished it yesterday.
SPOILERS BELOW...
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
One hell of a fight Doyle put up eh 'Please don't kill me'
When the Doyle hologram thingy came up after you kill Krieger, it was the
worst attempt at a twist ever.
The whole plot was tacked on and utterly confusing. One minute one thing was
happening, then the next second they're talking about something you've no
idea about.

I was somewhat confused the whole way through this game as there
appeared to be several themes within themes... I have just restarted
the game.. This time I am playing it at the hardest degree of
difficulty (Realistic) as a friend told me that the AI was etremely
good and that it was very hard to survuive but I have found it is
actually easier to survive if you are smart enough and quick enough.
Always hide under a bush before shooting. Shoot very infrequently and
only when your victim is the only one in view and aim for the head.
They can sometimes drop like flies...
Old April 24th 04, 11:25 PM
tq96

What are Starstorm drivers and where are they fpund..???

After two (2) seconds on Google, I found this.
http://forums.guru3d.com/forumdisplay.php?&forumid=47
Old April 24th 04, 11:36 PM
Danny

"Bruce Tyler" wrote in message

Try the Starstorm driver - better image quality and framerates than even

the
60.72's.

What are Starstorm drivers and where are they fpund..???

The other reply tells you. I recommend the XQ drivers.

I was somewhat confused the whole way through this game as there
appeared to be several themes within themes...

Pretty much.

I have just restarted
the game.. This time I am playing it at the hardest degree of
difficulty (Realistic) as a friend told me that the AI was etremely
good and that it was very hard to survuive but I have found it is
actually easier to survive if you are smart enough and quick enough.

A friend of mine is going on realistic - he is now at treetops.

Always hide under a bush before shooting. Shoot very infrequently and
only when your victim is the only one in view and aim for the head.
They can sometimes drop like flies...

I found it tough on easy

Old April 25th 04, 03:48 AM
John Lewis

On Sat, 24 Apr 2004 18:01:52 +0200, Walter Mitty
wrote:

(John Lewis) brightened my day with his incisive wit
when in he conjectured that:

On Fri, 23 Apr 2004 22:47:39 +0200, wrote:

On Fri, 23 Apr 2004 11:46:23 GMT, v56k
wrote:

The buggiest game

So it's actually a game ?

I thought it was a marketing demo for whichever hardware companies
paid the developers.

If you want full graphic detail in Far Cry, you will pay for
appropriate hardware. However, Far Cry is set up to cater for a full
spectrum of PC capability -- just set the options appropriately, or
let the game decide for you in Auto setup mode. The game scales
beautifully. No loss of game-playability with reduction in eye-candy.
Plus the editor is the most comprehensive, flexible and easy-to-use
game-editor since the Duke Nukem 3D Build editor.

This is ludicrous fan boy garbage. There are game playability issues with
scaled AI and eye candy. The most obvious being that Guards can see
straight through foliage unless you have an uber-system running at 3.4
Gigz etc.

Actually regardless of system-speed. They see through the foliage
auto-generated by the game-engine at the higher Environment settings.
They do not see through foliage "placed" in the scene, except as
conditioned by the foliage descriptors. See the editor for type of
foliage and placement methodology. The subject was discussed
in detail in earlier postings.

In addition, the auto scaling is far from optimum.

Yes, appropriately conservative for those not used to fine-tweaking
video performance.

John Lewis

Having said all that (I hated the demo to be fair), the game is receiving
much applause in the action games newsgroup.

Old April 25th 04, 07:49 PM
F r e e

sorry, but YOU have a problem not me nor FarCry.. please learn to write =
properly a Subjectline

--=20
F r e e=20

"v56k" escribi=F3 en el mensaje =
F r e e wrote:
u got memory problems hahahah
=20

=20
From the looks of things my problems are nothing compared with =

yours....
Old April 25th 04, 08:33 PM
Bruce Tyler

On Sat, 24 Apr 2004 09:27:27 -0500, Chris Walken
wrote:

I couldn't agree with you more regarding this aspect of the game Bruce.
I may be mistaken but isn't the story line for FarCry basically a ripoff
of RTCW? Seems almost identical to me.

Ahhhhh,, a copy of RTCW = My "EXACT" thoughts... We must have
similar tastes in games.. I was thinking just that too... I really
liked RTCW but I was somewhat bemused when you dropped into that
underground cave with all those "creatires in it"... That sort of took
the wind right out of my sails. I have to confess to being quite hyped
up when I started playing RTCW but the novelty wore off a bit at this
point... RTCW holds a special place in my list of all-time favourites
though...

Attention game developers! Constantly growling, moaning mutants become
annoying very quickly!

Old April 25th 04, 10:58 PM
Sept1967

You buy First Person Shooters for the story plot?

Save yourself the price of a PC , and software, go buy books.

How about Escape from Castle Wolfenstien invented the "Insane 'Badguy'
creating monsters" plot. Doom stole it from there, so did Blood, Doom2 also,
then Quake, then Q2 , then UT and Q3 just did away with a "plot" and you
just kill each other, then Unreal, Half-Life, and Unreal2 adds aliens, then
RtCW uses the same "plot" , and now Fry Cry borrows it back.

The "Mad Scientist" makes monster badguys plot, with hero killing everything
that moves, story line, will be here as long as there are mice on PC's.

Personally I liked the way Alien -vs- Predators2 weaved a tri-story line
into one big picture.

Old April 26th 04, 01:49 AM
Bruce Tyler

On Sun, 25 Apr 2004 14:58:38 -0700, "Sept1967"
sept1967@highstream.(Erase)net wrote:

You buy First Person Shooters for the story plot?

Naaa,, but my tastes in games has evolved a little.. Soldier of
Fortune II Double Helix is a great FPS game. It started out man-on-man
and ended up this way. It kept my imagination pin-pointed and alert
all the way through...

Another thing I enjoyed about FarCry was the fact that it all happened
on one island AND with inovative ideas like driveable vehicles, boats
and even the gliders...

I guess anyone who relies on a PC games' plot for entertainment has a
poor lifestyle indeed but if there is no variation amongst games, you
may as well put your hand in the lucky-dip and grab the first one you
feel, play it and say "Now I have played them all"...

Old April 26th 04, 11:35 AM
Nada

v56k wrote:
The buggiest game I have ever run

You haven't tried "Breed", have you?

ATI SUCKS!!!! DO NOT BUY ATI PRODUCTS OR YOU'LL BE SORRY!! Tim Reed Ati Videocards 53 January 30th 04 06:43 AM
ATI Customer Service sucks John Capriotti Ati Videocards 17 November 25th 03 10:28 AM
ATI Sucks Axel GeNuS Ati Videocards 1 November 7th 03 08:46 PM
ati video on demand is great - export sucks Nicholas Tse Ati Videocards 1 August 28th 03 05:11 PM
P4C800 raid sucks. Clif Asus Motherboards 19 August 6th 03 05:00 PM