Far Cry sucks the big one....

Old April 23rd 04, 09:47 PM

On Fri, 23 Apr 2004 11:46:23 GMT, v56k
wrote:

The buggiest game

So it's actually a game ?

I thought it was a marketing demo for whichever hardware companies
paid the developers.

Old April 23rd 04, 09:59 PM
John Lewis

On Fri, 23 Apr 2004 12:51:28 GMT, v56k
wrote:

Danny wrote:
"v56k" wrote in message
.. .

The buggiest game I have ever run and the only game which I have to
constantly restart to try and get rid of glitchy graphics, sticking
frames etc etc etc.
The game itself is good which only adds to the frustration - when they
say the first game Crytech have produced I can start to see what they
mean........

It does have a few oddities to be fair - I get glitchy textures occasionally
which flash, and sometimes the ground below helicopters goes grey.

If you have the V1.1 patch, there is one known severe graphics bug.
Turn the Shadow Quality down to Medium or below to avoid it.

I also had one really bad glitch where the entire environment messed up.
Besides these, no real issues.

Well first off I had to load the Forceware 60. drivers to make it work
without juddering.
Then it somtimes shows beyond a certain distance grey (trees etc are
just grey blobs) - other times I fire it up and its fine.
Now I have got as far as the "Regulator" map and it freezes occasionally
(I have to reboot the PC) and runs very jagged - slow frame rate etc.
A right royal pain.
I have tons of games and so far this is the only one to have caused me
these sorts of problems...

Pentium IV 2.8Ghz
GeForce5800Ultra
512MB RDRAM 1Ghz (PC1066)
Ultra-160 SCSI 36Gb drive

Freezing/ unexpected-slowdown is probably due to overheating of the
GPU or video memory ( or CPU). Far Cry thoroughly exercises your
system, GPU, memory CPU. For example. with binoculars ON, your CPU
temp will suddenly shoot up - probably processing a bunch of FP
calculations.

No problem other than the aforementioned Shadows bug with
my FX5900 and 56.72 driver. However, I monitor/control all my
system and GPU temperatures very closely and well within
conservative specs.

Crytek has produced a surprisingly UNBUGGY game. The problem
in the V1.1 patch is trivial to avoid. Wonderful game-engine.

John Lewis

Old April 23rd 04, 11:08 PM
v56k

v56k wrote:
The buggiest game I have ever run and the only game which I have to
constantly restart to try and get rid of glitchy graphics, sticking
frames etc etc etc.
The game itself is good which only adds to the frustration - when they
say the first game Crytech have produced I can start to see what they
mean........

Well for anyone who's interested I finished the game and think that it
is indeed a memory problem - ie. not enough - checked my event log in
windows (xp) and swap file too small messages appearing - also lost of
HD activity when the slow downs and jerks occur - my system uses approx
190MB on it's own but even so the FarCry box says 256Mb ram total to
run....hmmmm - I have 512...... Anyway - great game and great AI but
could have done without the hassles.....Will be interested to see if HL2
and D3 give me the same problems.
Old April 24th 04, 01:32 AM
tq96

is indeed a memory problem - ie. not enough - checked my event log in
windows (xp) and swap file too small messages appearing - also lost of

Those messages most commonly appear when there's a bad memory leak in a
program and it consumes all available virtual memory.
Old April 24th 04, 09:54 AM
§

v56k wrote:
The buggiest game I have ever run and the only game which I have to
constantly restart to try and get rid of glitchy graphics, sticking
frames etc etc etc.
The game itself is good which only adds to the frustration - when they
say the first game Crytech have produced I can start to see what they
mean........

works fine on my old machine -
Athlon XP 2500+ (1.8GHz)
Albatron KX18D Pro
256 GeiL DDR3200 RAM
and a Geforce 4 MX 440
all settings on medium, resolution 800x600
no overclocking

Old April 24th 04, 01:46 PM
Bruce Tyler

wrote:

The buggiest game I have ever run and the only game which I have to
constantly restart to try and get rid of glitchy graphics, sticking
frames etc etc etc.
The game itself is good which only adds to the frustration - when they
say the first game Crytech have produced I can start to see what they
mean........

Funny you say this as I just updated my graphics drivers from 53.06 to
56.72 and FarCry literally took-off... I have an XP3000, 1Gb PC3200
and an FX5700 and I played virtually the whole game with the 53.06
drivers, then the 56.72's were recommended to me and I was told that
they would deal with textures a lot better and speed things up a
little too... Well,, they did both - the textures a "far-cry" better
than what they were 24 hrs ago and FarCry frame rate has gone up by I
would estimate about a 100% increase in speed...

NO - I am not exaggerating. They really did speed up a hell of a lot..
Before, as the game started, I could actually count the frames as they
rolled by and in many other parts of the game I could also.. Now with
56.72 drivers, there is little or no frame rate decrease AND I have
set the graphics options a notch higher all-round...

I sort of have to agree with you on the game content though... I was
really enjoyng this game until the experimental mutants came along...
Sometimes, I swear that games writers have little or no imagination,
as this theme turns up in every second or third game = BORING,,
BORING,, BORING..!!!

What started out as a man on man warfare, soon turned into a "Lets
kill the mutants" type of shooter... I rapidly lost interest... I DID
however, finish the game today...
Old April 24th 04, 03:17 PM
Danny

"Bruce Tyler" wrote in message

Funny you say this as I just updated my graphics drivers from 53.06 to
56.72 and FarCry literally took-off... I have an XP3000, 1Gb PC3200
and an FX5700 and I played virtually the whole game with the 53.06
drivers, then the 56.72's were recommended to me and I was told that
they would deal with textures a lot better and speed things up a
little too... Well,, they did both - the textures a "far-cry" better
than what they were 24 hrs ago and FarCry frame rate has gone up by I
would estimate about a 100% increase in speed...

Try the Starstorm driver - better image quality and framerates than even the
60.72's.

NO - I am not exaggerating. They really did speed up a hell of a lot..
Before, as the game started, I could actually count the frames as they
rolled by and in many other parts of the game I could also.. Now with
56.72 drivers, there is little or no frame rate decrease AND I have
set the graphics options a notch higher all-round...

I sort of have to agree with you on the game content though... I was
really enjoyng this game until the experimental mutants came along...
Sometimes, I swear that games writers have little or no imagination,
as this theme turns up in every second or third game = BORING,,
BORING,, BORING..!!!

What started out as a man on man warfare, soon turned into a "Lets
kill the mutants" type of shooter... I rapidly lost interest... I DID
however, finish the game today...

I fnished it yesterday.
SPOILERS BELOW...
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
..
One hell of a fight Doyle put up eh 'Please don't kill me'
When the Doyle hologram thingy came up after you kill Krieger, it was the
worst attempt at a twist ever.
The whole plot was tacked on and utterly confusing. One minute one thing was
happening, then the next second they're talking about something you've no
idea about.

Old April 24th 04, 03:27 PM
Chris Walken

Bruce Tyler wrote:

I sort of have to agree with you on the game content though... I was
really enjoyng this game until the experimental mutants came along...
Sometimes, I swear that games writers have little or no imagination,
as this theme turns up in every second or third game = BORING,,
BORING,, BORING..!!!

What started out as a man on man warfare, soon turned into a "Lets
kill the mutants" type of shooter... I rapidly lost interest... I DID
however, finish the game today...

I couldn't agree with you more regarding this aspect of the game Bruce.
I may be mistaken but isn't the story line for FarCry basically a ripoff
of RTCW? Seems almost identical to me.
Attention game developers! Constantly growling, moaning mutants become
annoying very quickly!
Old April 24th 04, 04:42 PM
Dude

no problem at all with my 9800pro, friends neither...all with ATI video cards..

allmost finish the game, not a single glitch.

thsi game rule.

"v56k" wrote in message .. .
The buggiest game I have ever run and the only game which I have to constantly restart to try and get rid of
glitchy graphics, sticking frames etc etc etc.
The game itself is good which only adds to the frustration - when they say the first game Crytech have produced I
can start to see what they mean........

ATI SUCKS!!!! DO NOT BUY ATI PRODUCTS OR YOU'LL BE SORRY!! Tim Reed Ati Videocards 53 January 30th 04 06:43 AM
ATI Customer Service sucks John Capriotti Ati Videocards 17 November 25th 03 10:28 AM
ATI Sucks Axel GeNuS Ati Videocards 1 November 7th 03 08:46 PM
ati video on demand is great - export sucks Nicholas Tse Ati Videocards 1 August 28th 03 05:11 PM
P4C800 raid sucks. Clif Asus Motherboards 19 August 6th 03 05:00 PM