Detonator 51, 5900, and image quality

Old September 16th 03, 03:25 PM
Anders Albrechtsen

"magnulus" wrote in message

"Tim Miser" wrote in message
t...
Can you name those games that don't work with a Radeon 9x00?

Blade of Darkness, Rally Masters. There are probably others, just

haven't
tested out every single game I own. In addition, the following games had
problems for a long time with ATI hardware (but finally the problem was
resolved):

Blade of Darkness works fine with the OpenGL raster.

Splinter Cell- you could see lights through walls, etc.

Only with FSAA turned on. This is applicable for all cards although Nvidia
disabled FSAA support for Splinter Cell in recent drivers.

Metal Gear Solid II: Substance- totally fvcked

There's a patch which fix these ATI specific problems (missing shadows,
corrupted FMV).

Deus Ex- detailed textures caused wierd banding

Not entirely correct. Anisotrpic filtering doesn't work in Direct3D, but
there's a new OpenGL renderer which corrects all these problems and improves
performance immensely for all cards, including Nvidia.

Only 1 game (Blade of Darkness) has any problem at all on NVidia

hardware,
and the bug doesn't make the game unplayable.

Slow menu problem right? Well that isn't Nvidia specific. anyway I prefer
OpenGL although there're some problems with the fog getting too thick on one
level.
---
Anders

Old September 16th 03, 06:05 PM
John Llort

in the past, and

I'll freely admit my bias is slightly towards NVidia, simply because they
RUN EVERY GAME I OWN with very little quality loss, and ATI, sadly cannot
live up to that claim.

Feedback anybody?

I like my 4600 since it runs all my current games but honestly if I was
planning on upgrading for future next generation games it is not going to be
a Nvidia 5xxx series card. I think nvidia made a mistake pushing a 500
dollar card and it cannot run the first real DX9 game at a decent framerate
VS a 200 dollar ATI. I would not be surprised if it leaves a bad taste in
peoples mouths and the next card purchased be a ATI.

Old September 16th 03, 09:11 PM
Lenny

And BTW, my conclusion is Gabe Newel, until he shows me the screenshots,
is bought and paid by ATI. Sad, because I really like Half Life.

How can you draw conclusions about HL2 from your Q'n'D comparison of
Aquamark? That's like, totally bizarre man.

Anyway, if you had done the dissecting screenshot bit like some other, more
thorough people, you'd seen textures are blurrier (and in some cases, colors
less vibrant) in the new detonator release, showing Nvidia's skimping on the
quality to gain framerate.

Old September 17th 03, 07:56 PM
TheHasselhoff

Can you name those games that don't work with a Radeon 9x00?

BF1942 needed a patch from EA before the ground textures wouldn't
intermittently flash on/off. (I think it was the 1.31 patch that did it.)
UT2K3 would lock up, in the menus of all places, unless I used the Omega
drivers (which doesn't make sense, but it worked).
TRON 2.0 played like crap (1-2 fps) until I found a tweak someone posted on
the official Tron forums.

It goes on & on.

Old September 17th 03, 07:59 PM
TheHasselhoff

Blade of Darkness works fine with the OpenGL raster.

So, in other words, a workaround must be made to get the game running
correctly.

Old September 17th 03, 08:47 PM
Anders Albrechtsen

"TheHasselhoff" wrote in message
Blade of Darkness works fine with the OpenGL raster.

So, in other words, a workaround must be made to get the game running
correctly.

Yes.

Metal Gear Solid II: Substance- totally fvcked

There's a patch which fix these ATI specific problems (missing shadows,
corrupted FMV).

So, in other words, a workaround must be made to get the game running
correctly.

Yes.

Deus Ex- detailed textures caused wierd banding

Not entirely correct. Anisotrpic filtering doesn't work in Direct3D, but
there's a new OpenGL renderer which corrects all these problems and

improves
performance immensely for all cards, including Nvidia.

So, in other words, a workaround must be made to get the game running
correctly.

Yes.

Please let us know if you have a point.
---
Anders

Old September 17th 03, 08:52 PM
Anders Albrechtsen

"TheHasselhoff" wrote in message
Can you name those games that don't work with a Radeon 9x00?

BF1942 needed a patch from EA before the ground textures wouldn't
intermittently flash on/off. (I think it was the 1.31 patch that did it.)

Rubbish.

UT2K3 would lock up, in the menus of all places, unless I used the Omega
drivers (which doesn't make sense, but it worked).

Again, Rubbish.

TRON 2.0 played like crap (1-2 fps) until I found a tweak someone posted

on
the official Tron forums.

Rubbish. The game runs fine with my Radeon 9800 Pro without any special
tweaks.

It goes on & on.

The only things that go on and on a

1. Nvidiots who claim Radeon cards have all kinds of issues with games.
2. Nvidias "driver optimizations" which inflate banchmark scores at the
expense of image quality.
----
Anders

Old September 17th 03, 11:10 PM
TheHasselhoff

Please let us know if you have a point.

If you don't see the point, I don't think you ever will.

Old September 17th 03, 11:14 PM
TheHasselhoff

Rubbish. The game runs fine with my Radeon 9800 Pro without any special
tweaks.

Oh - so, just because these games worked for YOUR system, means that they
must work on mine, as well? That, my friend, is what is rubbish.

1. Nvidiots who claim Radeon cards have all kinds of issues with games.

They do. Of course, Nvidia had the same kinds of issues when 3dfx was on
top - which is why I didn't buy an Nvidia card until after 3dfx support in
new games was, on the whole, dropped. I don't care about blazing fps, I
want a stable computer that runs everything I'm playing, without having to
search the net for tweaks & patches.

2. Nvidias "driver optimizations" which inflate banchmark scores at the
expense of image quality.

Which ATI is, of course, also guilty of - writing drivers that are optimized
for single applications, simply to make the cards look better to customers.

Old September 17th 03, 11:35 PM
Anders Albrechtsen

"TheHasselhoff" wrote in message
Please let us know if you have a point.

If you don't see the point, I don't think you ever will.

There isn't any point. The games are working fine.
---
Anders