Doom 3 delayed apparently

Old July 30th 03, 10:30 PM
Gamer4Life

I truelly never really liked halflife. THe early multiplayer part of it
wasn't very smooth and lack luster. Counter Strike was ok.

Doom in it's day was a great game and launched a new era. I can rember the
long hours playing in the computer centers network with many people at work.
At that time it was the only 3D game worth playing, even though later others
tried to copy it. Yes it was 3D even though a ruff presentation of it.

The new Doom III is looking great and will continue ID's master ability.
Of course a new era in Graphics chips and cpu's are needed.
"Craig" wrote in message
Idiot. It was game of the year by everyone's account. The mods just

extended
the half-life of Halflife .
"k y l e" wrote in message
"Trevor Marsh" wrote in message

even though it won't be anywhere near as good a game as HL2. ID have

always
made great 3D engines but with the exception of the original Doom,

Hang on, back in 1992/93 Wolf 3d, Spear of Destiny and DOOM were
groundbreaking, and had not been seen before. As a pioneering 3d engine,

it
was amazing! Ok, you can say it really was 2d, but back in the day, the

fact
you could move around a map and see and shoot everything in front of

you,
and open the doors etc, was an experience akin to a virtual reality

thrill
ride, even on a 33mhz 486 with 4mb ram! Geez, give Id some
credit...Half-Life when it came out was a bit ho-hum, it was

CounterStrike
that truly got people excited.

their
single player gameplay has been somewhat suspect. Great multi-player
gameplay though....

Trev

I've never had any problem with the single player premise of the

original
Doom. Shoot monsters, use the map to navigate through a level, find

keys,
find the exit. Simple and effective, it works for me. Simple concepts
usually work the best, PacMan etc..the ole KISS rule...

Old July 31st 03, 08:10 AM
tq96

Doom in it's day was a great game and launched a new era. I can
rember the

With all of the FPS clones that have flooded the market, I'm almost sorry
Doom ever came out. Doom was a great game and there were great ones that
followed it, but I think the PC game market is sorely lacking in
creativity.
Old August 1st 03, 02:49 PM
k y l e

"tq96" wrote in message
Doom in it's day was a great game and launched a new era. I can
rember the

With all of the FPS clones that have flooded the market, I'm almost sorry
Doom ever came out. Doom was a great game and there were great ones that
followed it, but I think the PC game market is sorely lacking in
creativity.

I think I know what you mean - all these FPS that have come out, focusing on
war (medal of honour, vietcong etc) and intrigue and real-life situations.
Even in the 'fantasy' realm, Unreal 2 is more like a movie plot than
something truly original.

Postal 2 is the best FPS out there at the moment - fresh, brash, and
outrageous! A bit like the old "Doom" spirit - most FPS these days requires
the player to think rationally, strategically and calculating, rather than
to think on one's wits, in an unfamiliar environment. I think your "the PC
game market is sorely lacking in creativity" comment is indeed a fair call.
I hope the release of Doom 3 will help to remedy the situation.

Old August 1st 03, 04:17 PM
Gary Sinnott

On Sat, 2 Aug 2003 01:49:54 +1200, "k y l e" wrote:

"tq96" wrote in message
[...]

For some reason, somebody reviewed Postal 2 as being one of a tired
genre, unoriginal, a mindless shooter & so on. I like the idea of it
- a little mindless relaxation sometimes beats a game where the
mission is king. Okay, so you might have to do something in each
level of the game but, on the whole you can have some fun/revenge and
nobody gets hurt.

I like most FPS anyway but sometimes, games like Postal 2 can be fun -
look at Serious Sam... total mayhem and splatter with impossible
odds. Loved it as a change from the way FPS games normally go.

Gary

Reply to gary at data dot mildenhall dot com