Doom 3 delayed apparently

Old July 23rd 03, 09:54 AM
Darthy

On Wed, 23 Jul 2003 03:32:21 -0400, "MICHAEL"
wrote:

Anybody remember Daikatana?It was hyped to the hilt for years,too,then sunk
like the Titanic when it came out.

Well, this is a different thing... Daikatana, when it came out had
sub-standard graphics, bad AI and stupid countrols... And killing
little robotic spiders all day is not fun.

Doom3 is not being hyped the way Daikatana is.

Maybe if these game developers concentrated on gameplay and plot instead of
maxing out the graphics to a point
where half the computers out there can't run them,they'd have more
success.

Most games have weak plots... when has DOOM, Unreal or Quake had a
"STONG PLOT"? Gameplay is #1, Graphics is #2.

But yeah, I gather that is what happened to DukeNukem... 4+ years
late... If it ever comes out, I doubt anyone would care. They
need to just fix any bugs and put it out - without hype. If people
like it, they do... don't try to make it into some Super Game... and
sell it for $20 or so... who knows... who really cares.

Unreal 2 doesn't seem to be flying off
the shelves,in fact most places have cut prices on it by $10.00.

Unreal2 is old enough to warrant the $10 off in most places.
GTA-Vice City is about a month or so old... but Best Buy had it on
sale for $30.

Do you have sales figures for Unreal2 to determine its sucess or
failure?

Here's my take: UT2003, super graphics - plays well on a GF3 (minim
required) with LOW graphic modes. On the TI4200, fairly high details
and with the ATI-9700/GF5900 - MAX details without a sweat.

The game looks good, its fairly solid now. The maps and skins are
AWSOME. But the game as a few flaws...

1 - Game feels odd, kinda like Quake (UT shouldnt be a Quake), but
worse - the WEAPONS SUCK, the stupid designers built in **** to mak
some-what good guns unfun to use... the the OLD Sniper Rifle in UT was
replaced with the Lightning Gun (These weapons ALWAYS SUCK) - which
most people feared WOULD SUCK and it DID, worse thatn *I* expected.
Which was made worse with a DELAYED shot and a TINY forced little
SCOPE window (If you have a 19" monitor, the scope would be about 5
inches scross ARGH). its ****.

Look at the sniper rfile in Unreal 2 and its an AWSOME weapon, nice
SCOPE effects, excellent range and a super-ZOOM feature that rocks.

Heres a site with them both side by side:

http://ap.terrabox.com/new/newpics.htm

Go down to the 11th thumb nail, it shows UT2003, and #12 shows
Unreal2. or search for the word "****ty". Be sure to look at the
China map screen shots linked at the top, looks like a cool map.

Oh, a bit off topic, below is a link showing how a few changes in
UT(original) INI file can make the game look better:
http://ap.terrabox.com/sshots/shots2.htm

The other problems with UT2003 is the ability to find other live
players as NPC (bots) are counted for server population!! Or howabout
other PLAYER views of your team mates. etc etc

Hopefully, UT2004 will FIX these little problems! BTW, there are
some servers out there for UT2003 which uses MOD weapons, such as a
proper Sniper Rifle, the rocket launcher holds 6 shots and a few other
cool weapons that TOTALLY MAKES UT2003 a fun and playable game!

I rarely play on PLAIN UT2003 servers... the wepons SUCK.

When 512K of video RAM was a lot!

Death to Palladium & WPA!!
Old July 23rd 03, 03:18 PM
Danny

wrote in message
On Tue, 22 Jul 2003 23:47:16 +0100, "Danny"
wrote:

Till March 2004 - just thought you might want to know.
http://www.warp2search.net/modules.p...icle&sid=13369

This Doom hype has been going on for how long now ? 3 years ?

Back in the day, people were saying you should buy Geforce 3 to play
the up-and-coming Doom III.

It was originally announced in June 2000. A release date was *never*
mentioned until this year, when November 2003 was touted. It's had a delay,
it's not the end of the world. If it's delayed again I think we have room to
be concerned. But what's important is it turns out as good as it can be.

Old July 23rd 03, 03:20 PM
Danny

"MICHAEL" wrote in message
Anybody remember Daikatana?

How can I forget that.

It was hyped to the hilt for years,too,then sunk
like the Titanic when it came out.

That's because it was an appallingly poor game.

Maybe if these game developers concentrated on gameplay and plot instead

of
maxing out the graphics to a point

Which didn't really happen in Daikatana. The graphics were based on the
Quake 2 engine and it looked horrendously dated.

where half the computers out there can't run them,they'd have more
success.Unreal 2 doesn't seem to be flying off
the shelves,in fact most places have cut prices on it by $10.00.

Due to the bad/average reviews it got.

Old July 23rd 03, 03:20 PM
Danny

"Neil E. Baird" wrote in message
If they keep this crap up, I wont even bother buying it if and when it

comes
out. This is crazy.

You know you're kidding yourself.

Old July 23rd 03, 03:20 PM
Danny

"staf" wrote in message
. au...
then wouldnt they be .........doomed?
)

'ho ho'

Old July 23rd 03, 03:22 PM
Danny

"k y l e" wrote in message
"Neil E. Baird" wrote in message
If they keep this crap up, I wont even bother buying it if and when it

comes
out. This is crazy.

I see it from the other point of view. Give them time to get it right and

get it to look GOOD,

I agree.

and to make Half-Life 2 a P*O*S.

Disagree. I await HL2 with a heck of a lot of anticipation too.
Huge fan of the original and the sequel looks excellent.
But I still vehemently object to people comparing the 2 - they're very
different games albeit in the same genre.

It's marketing
strategy mixed with buying time to perfect a few things. I might play the
old DOOMs again in the meantime til the new one comes along, to whet my
appetite. No sweat, patience is a virtue.

I'll continue to play through the games I currently have, Doom 3's absence
isn't ruining my life!

Old July 23rd 03, 03:30 PM
Danny

wrote:

Anybody remember Daikatana?It was hyped to the hilt for years,too,then

sunk
like the Titanic when it came out.

Well, this is a different thing... Daikatana, when it came out had
sub-standard graphics, bad AI and stupid countrols... And killing

Exactly.

little robotic spiders all day is not fun.

*ahem* - Doom features arachnatrons.

Doom3 is not being hyped the way Daikatana is.

Not the same way no, but to the same intensity, yes. Daikatana was hyped by
Ion Storm as the dawn of the Messiah, Romero's finest hour.
Doom 3 is hyped by the fan community - id just make the odd announcement
here and there.
It's Doom - they don't need to hype it.

Maybe if these game developers concentrated on gameplay and plot instead

of
maxing out the graphics to a point
where half the computers out there can't run them,they'd have more
success.

Most games have weak plots... when has DOOM, Unreal or Quake had a
"STONG PLOT"? Gameplay is #1, Graphics is #2.

Doom did have a strong plot - 'bloke on earth hears his m8s up on Mars are
being killed off by demons from hell after a portal scientists up there were
working on gets hijacked, and now bloke has to sort these demonic dudes
out' - it's the stuff of Hollywood, I tell you.

But yeah, I gather that is what happened to DukeNukem... 4+ years
late... If it ever comes out, I doubt anyone would care. They

Vast majority of gamers have forgotten about DN4.

need to just fix any bugs and put it out - without hype. If people
like it, they do... don't try to make it into some Super Game... and
sell it for $20 or so... who knows... who really cares.

Unreal 2 doesn't seem to be flying off
the shelves,in fact most places have cut prices on it by $10.00.

Unreal2 is old enough to warrant the $10 off in most places.
GTA-Vice City is about a month or so old... but Best Buy had it on
sale for $30.

Games go on sale pretty quickly these days.

Do you have sales figures for Unreal2 to determine its sucess or
failure?

Well I don't.

[...]

Why on earth did a post about Doom 3 turn into a review of UT2003?

Old July 23rd 03, 05:44 PM
Danny

wrote in message
On Wed, 23 Jul 2003 01:17:47 +0100, "Richard Dower"

wrote:

.. .
wrote:

Till March 2004 - just thought you might want to know.

http://www.warp2search.net/modules.p...icle&sid=13369

This Doom hype has been going on for how long now ? 3 years ?

Back in the day, people were saying you should buy Geforce 3 to play
the up-and-coming Doom III.

Well now we can say we have to buy a GeForce 5 to run Doom III.

I just recently read that it had just gone Gold and was coming out early

Aug..

So what are you meant to believe..

Read this where.

Old July 23rd 03, 07:28 PM
Trevor Marsh

"MICHAEL" wrote in message
Anybody remember Daikatana?It was hyped to the hilt for years,too,then

sunk
like the Titanic when it came out.
Maybe if these game developers concentrated on gameplay and plot instead

of
maxing out the graphics to a point
where half the computers out there can't run them,they'd have more
success.Unreal 2 doesn't seem to be flying off
the shelves,in fact most places have cut prices on it by $10.00.

snip

Mainly because there was no game there. I finished it in just under 10
hours and was very disappointed.

Trev

Old July 23rd 03, 09:14 PM
Larry Roberts

I just hope they have good joystick support. I'm handicapped,
and can not use a mouse, and keyboard combo to play FPS. I have yet to
see any of the new FPS have half decent working joystick support, if
it has it at all.