A sudden change of electricity can damage a video capture card?

Old June 27th 03, 03:14 PM
Fogar

Default A sudden change of electricity can damage a video capture card?

Hi,
some days ago a sudden change of electricity has ruined my HD and I
has had to purchase a new HD.
When I add the programs for the editing video, I notice the sofware
for editing doesn't work correctly anymore.
That sudden change of electricity could also have ruined my capture
video card?
Yet when I go on "Device Driver" it is everything ok.
The drivers are ok. It seems impossible a damage because it works with
12 volts, at least I believe. Will the motherboard be ruined?
Some technicians analyzed my PC but nobody understands anything.
Will I have to replace the PC or my capture video card ?
thanks Fogar
Old June 27th 03, 03:34 PM
rstlne

If a surge made it through your power supply back through the system then
everything could be damaged, at the same time you might have only 1 problem,
and once it's gone everything will come back to normal. I would strip the
system down to barebone and see if it works at that level, if so then start
adding parts to it, ram first, floppy next, ect ect, if you add a card and
it doesnt work then put it off to the side, when your done strip the system
back to bare and test each non working part individually (that's what I
would do)..
Now as a side note, modem, nic, and hard drive mfgr's have been known to fix
these things as part of warranty..
Most spikes of electricty shouldnt make it through your PSU but sometimes
they do

Old June 27th 03, 05:05 PM
Barry Watzman

It's really quite rare for a powerline surge to make it through the
power supply to damage a computer's internal parts, but if it does
happen, there's no way to predict what could be damaged, could be
everything or only one item.

Old June 28th 03, 05:19 AM
The Cybrow

On Fri, 27 Jun 2003 14:14:34 GMT, Fogar wrote:

Hi,
some days ago a sudden change of electricity has ruined my HD and I
has had to purchase a new HD.
When I add the programs for the editing video, I notice the sofware
for editing doesn't work correctly anymore.
That sudden change of electricity could also have ruined my capture
video card?

It's possible. I've seen a pair of hard drives and a video card ruined
in a power supply failure. In this case the vid card wouldn't work at
all. If I remember correctly you have an DVRex RT. It would be sad
if that expensive equipment is damaged. If you can, try it in another
system and see if it works.

Yet when I go on "Device Driver" it is everything ok.
The drivers are ok. It seems impossible a damage because it works with
12 volts, at least I believe. Will the motherboard be ruined?

You might try removing the card from device manager and all drivers
and video software. Remove the card from your PC. Write down your
present BIOS settings, clear the CMOS then reset the BIOS. Install
the card and software. Might be worth a try.

Old June 29th 03, 08:42 AM
.Aba

On Fri, 27 Jun 2003 14:14:34 GMT, Fogar wrote:

Hi,
some days ago a sudden change of electricity has ruined my HD and I
has had to purchase a new HD.
When I add the programs for the editing video, I notice the sofware
for editing doesn't work correctly anymore.
That sudden change of electricity could also have ruined my capture
video card?
Yet when I go on "Device Driver" it is everything ok.
The drivers are ok. It seems impossible a damage because it works with
12 volts, at least I believe. Will the motherboard be ruined?
Some technicians analyzed my PC but nobody understands anything.
Will I have to replace the PC or my capture video card ?
thanks Fogar

You speak as if 12 volts is unimportant. If so, do you think these
penny pincher mfgs. would use it? I preach of the need of a GOOD PSU
as perhaps the most NEEDED item in the box, but it's not sexy or seen.
Please explain what a change of electricity is. If the voltage
fluctuates as when a air conditioner comes on a GOOD PSU probably
could handle it, and prevent parts decay.
Old June 29th 03, 09:53 PM
BNR

In fact I don't see any image in "Preview" box.

Sounds like software to me. Hang in there buddy. Brad