Crytek: Next-Gen Console Hardware Locked Down Next Year, Out In2012-2013, Epic Agrees

Old September 20th 09, 06:25 AM posted to alt.games.video.xbox,alt.games.video.sony-playstation3,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video
parallax-scroll

Default Crytek: Next-Gen Console Hardware Locked Down Next Year, Out In2012-2013, Epic Agrees

During the AMD Vision event, we got the opportunity to talk to Mike
Gamble, manager of CryTek's Engine Licensing Business. In a discussion
that spanned from different APIs to challenges in adopting new
platform.

Due to expansion from a PC-only to a multi-platform engine, CryTek
scored several new customers. At present time, CryTek has more
thandozen oflicensees, who will all utilize the next-generation
CryEngine3. CryEngine 3 is set to debut next month [October], and
there areloads of projects that will utilize that engine, especially
fewsurprises for the consoles.

On the pictures in this article, you can see the demo of the engine
running DirectX 9 build, expandable with DirectX 10, 10.1 and 11
extensions - depending on the adoption by the licensee. Thus, we'll
refrain from commenting on the obligatory ATI's "DirectX 11 Gaming"
cardboard, because the information there wasn't correct.

Mike told us that the capabilities of DirectX9 [when properly
optimized] are brilliant for customers that want to develop a title
for current generation of consoles and PCs. The customers that are
targeting next-generation console cycle and the PC should build upon
the strengths of DirectX 11 API, given that most of next-generation
console hardware will be locked down sometime next year, and pushed
out in 2012-2013 frame. We got the same feedback from Epic in the
matter of Unreal Engine 4, and the time will tell can CryTek develop
into a successful engine developer as well. So far, the work on Crysis
2 is progressing with more impact on gameplay than ever before.

Our take is that CryEngine 3 simply blew our minds with the realistic
water physics and effects on the "camera" viewpoint... it was really
interesting to feel the immersion effect, so the guys and girls in
CryTek are looking good to win the award for the best looking water of
them all.

http://www.brightsideofnews.com/news...ext-month.aspx
Old September 20th 09, 06:31 AM posted to alt.games.video.xbox,alt.games.video.sony-playstation3,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video
Miles Bader[_2_]

Geez, that sounds like a press-release...

-miles

--
"1971 pickup truck; will trade for guns"
Old September 20th 09, 07:13 AM posted to alt.games.video.xbox,alt.games.video.sony-playstation3,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video
Tom

"parallax-scroll" wrote in message
[...]

A little off-topic, but anyway:

I am seriously thinking of getting a very high end gaming rig (I am tired of
nothing getting better on the 360 for looks) and I want RPGs and good RTS
game, there are too few for me. So when I read about the DX11 coming out on
ATI's next 5000 series cards, I began holding back, because Nvidia will
follow suit, and though typically more expensive, Nvidia almost always has
issues solved with the driver support whereas ATI take too much time on
newer cards.

Having said this and reading what this article states, I am now wondering if
I should wait for those cards simply because it doesn't seem that DX11 is
going to be an issue for necessity for a few years to come; hell, many
current games still use DX9.

Old September 20th 09, 07:18 AM posted to alt.games.video.xbox,alt.games.video.sony-playstation3,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video
Jim[_31_]

MS is going use the Wii stradegy and turn the 720 into a Celeron300A
(moddable to 450MHZ) and Intel i740. Sony to not be outdone will buy NexGen
from AMD so they can they have the only console with a NexGen CPU. It will
use use a Nx686 180MHZ (PR233) and S3 Virge with a PCI slot for a Voodoo1
upgrade. Nintendo will just duct tape 2 Donkey Kong arcade cabinets
together (dual Z80s!) and call it a day.

Old September 20th 09, 02:40 PM posted to alt.games.video.xbox,alt.games.video.sony-playstation3,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video
[email protected][_2_]

Where's that ONLIVE bs in all of this?

Didn't they say Crysis was running?

Yeah sure ok

Old September 21st 09, 05:31 AM posted to alt.games.video.xbox,alt.games.video.sony-playstation3,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video
Jim[_31_]

OnLive is going to use the IP over avian transport protocol.
http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/104393
You play your game on a blank screen then they send the video on a memory
card.

Old September 21st 09, 03:02 PM posted to alt.games.video.xbox,alt.games.video.sony-playstation3,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video
alMIGHTY

On Sep 20, 1:25*am, parallax-scroll wrote:
[...]

http://www.brightsideofnews.com/news...cryengine-30-s...

Amen! Xbox 720 in 2012? I'm down with that.
Old September 21st 09, 03:05 PM posted to alt.games.video.xbox,alt.games.video.sony-playstation3,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video
alMIGHTY

On Sep 20, 2:13*am, "Tom" wrote:
[...]

Which is why we need another console generation to start sooner rather
than later! I take back my previous message in this thread! 2011,
gentlemen... please!

and I want RPGs

It doesn't seem like there are very many of those on any platform
besides the DS.

and good RTS
game, there are too few for me. So when I read about the DX11 coming out on
ATI's next 5000 series cards, I began holding back, because Nvidia will
follow suit, and though typically more expensive, Nvidia almost always has
issues solved with the driver support whereas ATI take too much time on
newer cards.

Having said this and reading what this article states, I am now wondering if
I should wait for those cards simply because it doesn't seem that DX11 is
going to be an issue for necessity for a few years to come; hell, many
current games still use DX9.

PA-2013 spontaneous rebooting anders.michael Homebuilt PC's 3 December 31st 05 03:07 PM
Cool console parkflyeruk General 0 September 26th 05 09:15 AM
DICE 2005: Epic on Xbox 2, PS3 Wblane Ati Videocards 0 February 5th 05 12:06 AM
New Year, New PCs? Why 2006 may be year to buy... Ablang Homebuilt PC's 4 December 27th 04 11:51 PM
Atari/Epic are you listening? Patch causes: loss of user info, etc Scotter Nvidia Videocards 2 August 21st 04 04:14 PM