(OT) "Vista sales outpace Windows XP launch."

Old March 27th 07, 11:50 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
S.Lewis

Default (OT) "Vista sales outpace Windows XP launch."

According to MS, I guess.

'Lessee, if expected annual PC sales are nearly double from the time period
when Win XP launched, and we include the upgrade coupons and we
include......'

Spin, boys, spin....

*snicker*

http://news.google.com/nwshp?ie=UTF-...ncl=1114797658

Drill down any of the articles and you begin to see through the PR.....

Stew

Old March 27th 07, 12:34 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
RnR

On Tue, 27 Mar 2007 05:50:27 -0500, "S.Lewis"
wrote:

According to MS, I guess.

'Lessee, if expected annual PC sales are nearly double from the time period
when Win XP launched, and we include the upgrade coupons and we
include......'

Spin, boys, spin....

*snicker*

http://news.google.com/nwshp?ie=UTF-...ncl=1114797658

Drill down any of the articles and you begin to see through the PR.....

Stew

Yeah I saw at least one article about the same but didn't bother to
read it because it was easy to surmise why.
Thanks.
Old March 27th 07, 01:52 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
journey

wrote:

According to MS, I guess.

'Lessee, if expected annual PC sales are nearly double from the time period
when Win XP launched, and we include the upgrade coupons and we
include......'

Spin, boys, spin....

*snicker*

http://news.google.com/nwshp?ie=UTF-...ncl=1114797658

Drill down any of the articles and you begin to see through the PR.....

Stew

MICROSOFT IS AN EVIL MONOPOLY

just kidding

(kind of lol)
Old March 27th 07, 02:13 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
A. Stern[_3_]

"S.Lewis" wrote in message
According to MS, I guess.

'Lessee, if expected annual PC sales are nearly double from the time
period when Win XP launched, and we include the upgrade coupons and we
include......'

Spin, boys, spin....

*snicker*

http://news.google.com/nwshp?ie=UTF-...ncl=1114797658

Drill down any of the articles and you begin to see through the PR.....

Stew

People have a tendency to jump on something new. Remember, there's a fool
born every 60 seconds.

Old March 27th 07, 08:14 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
S.Lewis

"Christopher Muto" wrote in message
ink.net...
fox news, ugh. they also say we are 'winning' the war in iraq.

^^^ That's an official "thread hijack" foul.^^^^^

heh

Old March 27th 07, 10:26 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
RnR

On Tue, 27 Mar 2007 17:00:20 GMT, "Christopher Muto"
wrote:

fox news, ugh. they also say we are 'winning' the war in iraq.

I wonder what they see that I don't but I guess I'll just have to
watch them to find out (ugh).
Old March 28th 07, 01:13 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Christopher Muto

"S.Lewis" wrote in message

"Christopher Muto" wrote in message
ink.net...
fox news, ugh. they also say we are 'winning' the war in iraq.

^^^ That's an official "thread hijack" foul.^^^^^

heh

lol. and i thought the thread was a troll created by the microsoft
marketing department who used your good name.

but seriously, the articles all headline with a suggestion that sales of
vista are strong when in fact they are poor. they are not technically
wrong, but the headlines do appear to be misleading. why is this happening
to so much of our news these days. do people prefer distortion to clear and
straightforward facts? or do advertisers really carry so much weight that
they call the shots? even the weather reports no longer say 'partly cloudy'
but instead say 'partly sunny'. i don't believe it is pessimistic to say
partly cloudy, i believe it is being precise. microsoft seems to think that
its own forcast is partly sunny and i say it is partly cloudy.

Old March 29th 07, 12:49 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
S.Lewis

"Christopher Muto" wrote in message
hlink.net...
"S.Lewis" wrote in message

[...]

Chris -

It is happening, my friend, because journalism died many years ago. There is
no longer any dividing line between news/opinion and entertainment.

Agendas and spin, we all have to weigh the source(s) and usually multiple
sources if the subject is important enough to us if we want to come to some
reasonable conclusion nearing the truth.

My dad retired from newspapering after some 40+ years in the newsroom; I
stuck around only for about 11 or 12 years in the revenue departments myself
before deciding it was a dying industry.

Microsoft is simply pencil-whipping numbers or at least is attempting to
fluff Vista numbers against XP numbers that should by all means be smaller
due to the market saturation at that time.

They're hoping no one will notice. They'ze idjits.

-Stew

Old March 29th 07, 02:15 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Ben Myers

I did a stint of freelance writing for the computer trade rags for a number of
years. I saw the beginnings of the disintegration of the supposed Chinese wall
between ads and editorial. Along with it came vendors throwing free hardware
and software at everyone in editorial. (I was even offered stock in one of the
companies whose products had gotten my favorable review. After the article
appeared, at least.) Right there first was Microsoft handing out Windows,
Office, C development environments, you name it. They went one better than
Apple, which did and continues to do a lot of grassroots selling to primary and
secondary schools. Hey, if the writers and editors are all using Office, that's
wonderful propaganda. Is it any wonder that almost any article about Microsoft
could have easily been written by Microsoft's PR flaks?

Needless to say, I got out, and became a small VAR, very modest compared to
being in the print media.

Infoworld will no longer publish its hard copy weekly, going completely on-line.
Not enough ads. Same as newspapers, which are getting skinnier and skinnier.

.... Ben Myers

On Wed, 28 Mar 2007 18:49:53 -0500, "S.Lewis" wrote:

"Christopher Muto" wrote in message
thlink.net...