"nVidia activates a supercomputer in your PC..."

Old February 18th 07, 08:07 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
John Lewis

Default "nVidia activates a supercomputer in your PC..."

See:-

http://www.tgdaily.com/2007/02/16/nvidia_cuda/

Please note the last paragraph of the article, specifically the last
two lines. Seems as if nvidia has something even more spectacular up
their graphics/computation sleeve for later this year. Might want to
consider holding off on that 8800 (or X2900) purchase for a while. The
DX10 and Dx9 drivers for both of these new architectures are going to
take a few more months to sort out anyway. Early adoption of first-gen
Dx10-architecture video cards is for the very rich, or very foolish,
or both... IM(ns)HO.

John Lewis

Old February 18th 07, 08:20 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Mr.E Solved!

John Lewis wrote:
See:-

http://www.tgdaily.com/2007/02/16/nvidia_cuda/

Please note the last paragraph of the article, specifically the last
two lines. Seems as if nvidia has something even more spectacular up
their graphics/computation sleeve for later this year. Might want to
consider holding off on that 8800 (or X2900) purchase for a while. The
DX10 and Dx9 drivers for both of these new architectures are going to
take a few more months to sort out anyway. Early adoption of first-gen
Dx10-architecture video cards is for the very rich, or very foolish,
or both... IM(ns)HO.

John Lewis

Fun stuff, that which always raises the bar.

Speaking of second generation of DX10 cards, Digitimes reports the
pricing of the spring line up:

8600 GT w/512MB US$219-$229
8600 GT w/256MB US$199
8600 GS US$159-$165

Those can be compelling choices for DX10 gaming, especially SLI.
Old February 18th 07, 10:12 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
heycarnut

On Feb 18, 12:07 am, (John Lewis) wrote:
consider holding off on that 8800 (or X2900) purchase for a while. The
DX10 and Dx9 drivers for both of these new architectures are going to
take a few more months to sort out anyway. Early adoption of first-gen
Dx10-architecture video cards is for the very rich, or very foolish,
or both... IM(ns)HO.

LOL - but hasn't that been true of most any rapidly developing
technology? Perhaps even more so in the computer realm, where prices
on some components have dropped by a factor for 100000 in twenty or so
years ~55% a year on average. Shocking to an early adopter, but
wonderful for those that can wait a little while for new technology to
mature.

the article - the whole GPGPU is one of the most exciting things
to come down the PC pike, accessible to the individual user, in a
long time. As a retiree from tech, I spend my spare time experimenting
with new technologies - gets some of that 'gee whiz' feeling back, and
the ability to use the massive computing power of modern GPU systems
in my other interests (astronomical image processing - transforms 20
or more times faster; database systems - parallel index evaluation)
is just plain cool. Check out the stuff at
http://graphics.stanford.edu/project...gpu/index.html. The lead on
this is now at Nvidia doing the CUDA stuff. I look forward to them
making CUDA a general availability product.

Old February 18th 07, 10:21 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Al Brumski

Well I for one don't consider myself wealthy by any means.
I consider building PC's a hobby and fun.
I purchased my 8800GTX and it has allowed me to increase my enjoyment
in two ways:
1. Games and sims can be run at maxed settings, much higher visual
quality.
2. Framerates have increased significantly as well. This increase is
very significant and results in absoultely silk smooth gameplay.

I feel the increased enjoyment that I am realizing as a result of the
acquisition of my new card justified the expenditure that I made.

One can always suggest holding off until new technology is realeased,
but since new technology development is a constant stream, should one
hold off forever??

I purchased my E6600 about 5 months ago. It in some ways is already
obsolete with the introduction of the quad cores. But the bottom line
is I have a system that runs just about any game currently on the
market in a very efficient and enjoyable manner.

Intel will be introducing their 45nm processors later this year. DDR3
system memory and boards to support it will also become available.
Will it be time to upgrade at that point??

Right now I'm in a play and enjoy mode, but every month, I stash a few
$$ for an upgrade if and when it becomes necessary. If developers
launch a new series of games that utilize multiple cores and require
more horse power and I have someone who is interested in my old
hardware, then maybe upgrading will happen. I know I'll have fun doing
it.

To some people, the new DX10 cards may seem foolish but I would guess
they haven't spent a decent amount of time playing with one.

As with any hobby, it's really one's own decision whether an
expenditure is foolish or not. I guess it all depends on where you're
at with your hobby, how much enjoyment you derive from it, and what
your $$ situation is.

I don't drive a $100,000 car or live in a $1,000,000 house, but if
other people want and can do it, more power to them.....

My $0.02 worth,,

Al

Old February 18th 07, 10:36 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
heycarnut

On Feb 18, 2:21 am, Al Brumski ? wrote:
As with any hobby, it's really one's own decision whether an
expenditure is foolish or not. I guess it all depends on where you're
at with your hobby, how much enjoyment you derive from it, and what
your $$ situation is.

Well said. Money spent on enhancing the enjoyment of the gaming
experience on one's PC is not much different from drinking a good
bottle of wine: in a rather short time period, you're left with
something worth a fraction of the purchase cost, but the pleasure
derived is worth every penny.

Old February 18th 07, 12:58 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Al Brumski

For me, I have to separate expenditures from investments.

I don't by any means view my pc's as an investment since they're going
to become obsolete and hence depreciate.

I simply try to relate the cost, my current finances (or lack
thereof), and my anticipated pleasure to the ultimate merit of
spending the money.

Finally, if my wife says it's ok, I proceed. Without her ok, all the
financial analysis in the world won't matter!!!!!

By the way, I have to fess up on this 8800GTX purchase.
I too was ooing and ahing when the first few reviews came out. My wife
caught wind of it and low and behold, it was sitting on the dining
room table one night when I came home. I don't know for sure whether
or not I would have shelled out the bucks for it, (I had a 7900GT
which was adequate).

But now after a couple of months with it, I think of all the system
upgrades I have performed including my E6600 build, the 8800 has by
far had the most impact!!

When the 8950GTX's are released, keep your eye out for a used 8800. I
bet you'll be able to pick it up for a song.

But in all reality, these card's are awesome. Mine came stock at
576/900. I can oc it to 660/2000 and my 3DMark06 score goes from
10,500 to 12,600, (E6600 @3.24 ghz), but there is little difference in
games and none in flight simulator which is cpu intensive by nature.

So I don't even bother oc'ing the card except for benchies.

If you get one you'll be happy, especially if someone buys it for you.

Al

Old February 18th 07, 03:09 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Shawn[_2_]

If you run low resolutions like me (1280x1024) going from a 7900GS to a
8800gtx, I wouldnt see any improvement. I run on all max settings now
because of my low res which is native to my 19" LCD's.
I will wait for dx10 games and 2nd gen cards to come out and push the 1st
gen ones down to 1/2 the price.
I do love vista ultimate and it runs VERYstable.

Shawn

Old February 18th 07, 06:23 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Magnulus[_2_]

If you have an ATI card, you can run Folding@home on the spare
cycles of your graphics processor. It also works with Crossfire. I'd
like to see something similar from NVidia.

It probably would be a bad idea for overclocked cards, though.
Running full throttle constantly can't be good for it.

Old February 18th 07, 08:51 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
John Smith[_2_]

"Shawn" wrote in message
If you run low resolutions like me (1280x1024) going from a 7900GS to a
8800gtx, I wouldnt see any improvement. I run on all max settings now
because of my low res which is native to my 19" LCD's.

snip

OUCH!! 1280x1024 is low res?
Man am I behind the times.
I bought a XFX 7600GT last August and was ecstatic about getting smooth
1280x1024 on my 17" CRT.
Better start saving my pennies...

R.