New Computer - No recovery disk....how to proceed

Old November 25th 06, 09:49 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Bonnie Peebles

Default New Computer - No recovery disk....how to proceed

I bought 2 new computers on Black Friday. Neither on has a recovery
disk. I'd like to make a copy of the HD as is, and then after I
install and modify everything. What should I use? Is there a program
that would be good?
Should I just compress the HD and burn it to a DVD?
I have a DVD burner, both on the new systems and on my primary system.
Suggestions? I have access to a good bit of software, so that most
likely will not be a limiting factor. I also use Win DVD 7 and Norton
System Works (but I try not to use norton any longer....too many
problems and crashes when I tried to remove it).

Thank

Old November 25th 06, 09:58 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Rod Speed

Bonnie Peebles wrote:

I bought 2 new computers on Black Friday. Neither on has
a recovery disk. I'd like to make a copy of the HD as is, and
then after I install and modify everything. What should I use?
Is there a program that would be good?

Yes, I use True Image for that. Best to do it
from what it calls the rescue CD in that situation.

Should I just compress the HD and burn it to a DVD?

I personally image systems like that over the lan instead of to DVD.

I have a DVD burner, both on the new systems
and on my primary system. Suggestions?

Image the new systems over the lan to the primary system
if you have enough space on the primary system.

Consider adding a bigger drive to the primary system
if you are getting a bit short of space there anyway.

I have access to a good bit of software, so that most likely
will not be a limiting factor. I also use Win DVD 7 and Norton
System Works (but I try not to use norton any longer....too
many problems and crashes when I tried to remove it).

True Image leaves them both for dead and is the best backup
app to use for ongoing backup as well as this initial safety imaging.

Old November 26th 06, 12:10 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Bonnie Peebles

Thank you and everyone that recommend True Image. It figures I don't
have it. Will have to look for it on line.
Once you have an Image, how do you place it back onto the HD.
Do you have to use the image making file or do you just copy it?
Thanks

Old November 26th 06, 12:55 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Dave

"Bonnie Peebles" wrote in message
Thank you and everyone that recommend True Image. It figures I don't
have it. Will have to look for it on line.
Once you have an Image, how do you place it back onto the HD.
Do you have to use the image making file or do you just copy it?
Thanks

Create Image: Takes hard drive (or partitions, or whatever you specify) and
turns it into .tib file (humongous, or can be split, according to your
wishes... like to fit on several CD-Roms or something)

Restore Image: Create a hard drive from .tib file(s). During this, you can
even change partition size, if you want to (as long as all the files from
the .tib file fit)

Note that the program (True Image) can be run from bootable CD-Rom, so the
hard drive you are creating/"restoring" to can be brand
new/blank/unformatted, if necessary. The program will create this bootable
CD-Rom called a rescue disk. -Dave

Old November 26th 06, 02:15 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Thomas Wendell

TrueImage found at www.acronis.com

To restore an image, use the same program that you made it with. There's a
choice to restore...

--
Tumppi
=================================

Old November 26th 06, 03:42 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Rod Speed

Bonnie Peebles wrote:

Thank you and everyone that recommend True Image.
It figures I don't have it. Will have to look for it on line.

Very easy to find.

And there is a free trial download on the Acronis site too.

Once you have an Image, how do you place it back onto the HD.

Just restore it using True Image.

Do you have to use the image making file

Program, yes.

or do you just copy it?

Nope.

Rod Speed wrote
Bonnie Peebles wrote

Old November 26th 06, 04:01 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Anna

"Bonnie Peebles" wrote in message
Thank you and everyone that recommend True Image. It figures I don't
have it. Will have to look for it on line.
Once you have an Image, how do you place it back onto the HD.
Do you have to use the image making file or do you just copy it?
Thanks

Bonnie:
Here are some step-by-step instructions for using the Acronis True Image
program (versions 9 or 10). As I believe you've been told, Acronis has a
15-day trial version that's available, so you might want to give it a try...

Step-by-Step Instructions for Using the Acronis True Image Program to Backup
& Restore One's Hard Drive...

Using the Acronis True Image program there are two different approaches one
can take to back up the entire contents of one's day-to-day working HDD,
i.e., the operating system, all programs & applications, and user-created
data - in short, *everything* that's on one's HDD...

1. Direct disk-to-disk cloning, or
2. Creating disk images

By using either of these strategies the user can restore his or her system
should their HDD become inoperable because of mechanical/electronic failure
of the disk or corruption of the system resulting in a dysfunctional
operating system.

In undertaking either of these two backup & recovery processes you're
dealing with two hard drives - the so-called source & destination disks -
the source disk being the HDD you're backing up and the destination disk
being the HDD that will be the recipient of the cloned contents of the
source disk or the recipient of the disk image you will be creating.

When using either process it's usually best for most users to use an
external HDD as the destination drive, i.e., the recipient of the cloned
contents of the source disk or the recipient of the created disk image. This
can be either a USB or Firewire or SATA external HDD. While another internal
HDD can also serve as the destination disk there's an additional element of
safety in using an external HDD since that drive will be ordinarily
disconnected from the system except during the disk cloning or recovery
process.

The following are step-by-step instructions for using the Acronis True Image
9 program to clone the contents of one HDD to an external HDD. (The steps
are essentially the same using the newer ATI 10 version):

1. With both hard drives (source & destination disks) connected, boot up.
Ensure that no other storage devices, e.g., flash drives, ZIP drives, etc.,
are connected. It's also probably a good idea to shut down any programs you
may have working in the background - including any anti-virus anti-spyware
programs - before undertaking this disk-to-disk cloning operation.

2. Access the Acronis True Image 9 program and under "Pick a Task", click
on "Clone Disk". (In the ATI 10 version click on "Manage Hard Disks" in the
"Pick a Tool" area and on the next screen click on "Clone Disk").

3. On the next "Welcome to the Disk Clone Wizard!" window, click Next.

4. On the next "Clone Mode" window select the Automatic option (it should
be the default option selected) and click Next.

5. On the next "Source Hard Disk" window, ensure that the correct source
HDD (the disk you're cloning from) has been selected (click to highlight).
Click Next.

6. On the next "Destination Hard Disk" window, ensure that the correct
destination HDD (the disk you're cloning to) has been selected (again, click
to highlight). Click Next.

7. On the next window, select the option "Delete partitions on the
destination hard disk". Understand that all data presently on the disk that
will be the recipient of the clone will be deleted prior to the disk cloning
operation. Click Next.

8. The next window will reflect the source and destination disks. Again,
confirm that the correct drives have been selected. Click Next.

9. On the next window click on the Proceed button. A message box will
display indicating that a reboot will be required to undertake the disk
cloning operation. Click Reboot.

10. The cloning operation will proceed during the reboot. With modern
components and a medium to high-powered processor, data transfer rate will
be somewhere in the range of about 450 MB/min to 800 MB/min when cloning to
a USB external HDD; considerably faster when cloning to another internal
HDD.

11. When the cloning operation has been completed, a message will appear
indicating the disk cloning process has been successful and instructs you to
shut down the computer by pressing any key. Do so and disconnect your USB
external HDD.

If, however, the destination drive has been another *internal* HDD, see the
NOTE below.

12. Note that the cloned contents now residing on the USB external HDD take
on the file system of the source drive. For example, if prior to the
disk-cloning operation your USB external HDD had been FAT32-formatted and
your XP OS was NTFS-formatted, the cloned contents will be NTFS-formatted.
There is no need to format the USB external HDD prior to the disk-cloning
operation. Similarly, there is no need prior to the disk-cloning operation
to format an internal HDD should you be using an internal HDD as the
destination drive .

13. Restoration of the system can be achieved by cloning the contents of the
data residing on the external HDD to an internal HDD through the normal
disk-cloning process as described above.

NOTE: Just one other point that should be emphasized with respect to the
disk cloning operation should the recipient of the clone be another internal
HDD and not a USB or Firewire external HDD. Immediately following the disk
cloning operation the machine should be shutdown and the source HDD should
be disconnected. Boot ONLY to the newly-cloned drive. DO NOT BOOT
IMMEDIATELY FOLLOWING THE CLONING OPERATION WITH BOTH DRIVES CONNECTED.
There's a strong possibility that by doing so it is likely to cause future
boot problems with the cloned drive. Obviously there is no problem in this
area should a USB or Firewire EHD be the recipient of the clone since that
device is not ordinarily bootable in an XP environment.

Disk imaging:
The following are step-by-step instructions for using the Acronis True Image
9 Program to create disk images for backup purposes and using those disk
images for recovery of the system. (The steps are essentially the same using
the newer ATI 10 version):

Note: The recipient of the disk image, presumably a USB external HDD or an
internal HDD, must be a formatted drive and have a drive letter assigned to
it. Recall that in the case of a disk-to-disk cloning operation as
previously described, an unformatted or "virgin" HD can be used as the
destination disk.

Before undertaking this disk imaging process it's probably best to close all
programs running in the background including your anti-virus and other
anti-malware programs.

1. With both your source and destination hard drives connected, access the
Acronis program and click "Backup" on main menu.

2. The "Create Backup Wizard" screen opens. Click Next.

3. "Select Backup Type" screen opens with two options:
a. The entire disk contents or individual partitions.
b. Files and folders.
Select a. and click Next.

(In the ATI 10 version four options will be listed: My Computer, My Data, My
Application Settings, and My E-mail. Select the My Computer option and click
Next.)

4. The "Partitions Selection" screen opens. Disk 1 and Disk 2 are listed
with their drive letter designations. Check the disk to be backed up -
presumably Disk 1 - and click Next.

5. An informational message appears recommending an incremental or
differential backup if original full backup had previously been created.
Since this will be the first backup we will be selecting, just click OK to
close the message box.

6. Next screen is the "Backup Archive Location". In the "File name:" text
box, (in ATI 10 version it's the "Folder:" text box) enter your backup drive
letter and enter a file name for the backup file, e.g., "F:\Backup 11-19".
The Acronis program will automatically append the ".tib" file extension to
the filename. Click Next.

7. "Select Backup Mode" screen opens. Select "Create a new full backup
archive" option and click Next.

8. "Choose Backup Options" screen opens with two options:
a. Use default options
b. Set the options manually

If you select the b. option, you can select various options listed on the
next screen. Two of them are of interest to us:

Compression level - Four options - None, Normal (the default), High,
Maximum.

There's a "Description" area that shows the estimated size of the backup
archive depending upon the option chosen, and the estimated "creation time"
for each option.

(In this example, the actual size of the data to be backed up is 20 GB).
None - 20 GB and estimated creation time of 1 hr 40 min
Normal - 11.96 GB " " " " 50 min (Default)
High - 10.46 GB " " " " 1 hr
Maximum - 10.2 GB " " " " 1 hr

Backup priority - Three options - Low, Normal, or High
Low - "backup processed more slowly, but it will not influence other
processes running on computer." (Default)
Normal - "normal speed but backup process will influence other processes
running on computer."
High - "normal speed but backup process will strongly influence other
processes running on computer."

(As an example, I selected Normal (default) compression level and High
backup priority. The backup archive totaled 15.8 GB compressed from 20 GB;
took 16 min 15 sec to create. Creating a disk-to-disk clone would probably
have taken no longer and possibly a bit faster.)

NOTE: You can set the defaults from the Acronis Tools Options Default
backup options menu items.

9. "Archive comments" screen opens allowing you to add comments to the
backup archive which you can review during the Recovery process. Click Next.

10. The next screen summarizes the backup operation to be performed. Review
the information for correctness and click the Proceed button.

11. The next screen will display status bars reflecting the progress of the
backup operation. After the backup operation finishes, an informational
message will appear indicting the operation was successfully completed.

Incremental Backups (Disk Images)
1. After the initial backup archive has been created you can create
incremental backups reflecting any data changes since the previous backup
operation. This incremental backup process proceeds considerably faster than
the initial backup operation. This, of course, is a major advantage of
creating disk images rather than undertaking the disk-to-disk cloning
process. Then too, since these created disk images are compressed files they
are reasonable in size. And because the incremental disk images can usually
be created very quickly (as compared with the direct disk-to-disk cloning
process), there's an incentive for the user to keep his/her system
up-to-date backup-wise by using this disk imaging process on a more frequent
basis than the disk-cloning process.

Note that you must create the incremental backup files on the same HDD where
you stored the original backup archive and any subsequent incremental backup
files.

2. Access the Acronis program as detailed above and move through the
screens. When you arrive at the "Backup Archive Location" screen, click on
the original backup archive file, or if one or more incremental backup files
were previously created, click on the last incremental backup file and
verify that the correct drive letter and file name are shown in the "File
name:" text box. After clicking Next, the program will automatically create
a file name for the incremental backup archive file, using the original file
name and appending a consecutive number - starting at 2 - at the end of the
file name. For example, say you named the original backup archive file
"Backup 11-19". The first incremental backup file will be automatically
named "Backup 11-192" and the next incremental file "Backup 11-193", etc.

3. On the following "Select Backup Mode" screen, select the "Create
incremental backup" option, click Next, and proceed through the screens as
you did in creating the initial backup archive.

Recovery Process (Disk images)
We'll assume the recovery will be to either a non-defective HDD that has
become unbootable for one reason or another, or to a new HDD.

The recovery process utilizes the Acronis "bootable rescue media" (CD) that
you created when you originally installed the Acronis program. If you didn't
create that bootable CD at that time, you can create it now from the Acronis
program by clicking on the "Create Bootable Rescue Media" icon on the
opening Acronis screen and simply going through the screens to create the
bootable CD.

Note: If the recovery will be made to a HDD that is still bootable and
you're able to access the Acronis program on that drive, then you can
undertake the recovery process without the need for using the "bootable
rescue" CD.

1. With both the drive containing the backup disk images and the drive you
want to restore connected and with the bootable rescue CD inserted, boot up.

2. At the opening screen, click on "Acronis True Image Home (Full Version)".

3. The program will open after some moments. On the "Pick a Task" screen
that opens, click on "Recovery".

4. The "Welcome to the Restore Data Wizard!" screen opens. Click on Next.

5. The "Archive Selection" screen opens. Navigate to the drive containing
the backup archive file(s) and select the last incremental backup file or
the original full backup file if no incremental backup files were
subsequently created. Ensure that the correct drive letter and filename are
entered in the "File name:" text box. Click Next.

6. In the Acronis version 9 program, the "Archive Date Selection" screen
opens. Select (highlight) the last incremental backup file from the listing
and click Next. This screen does not appear in version 10.

7. The "Restoration Type Selection" screen opens. Select the option,
"Restore disks or partitions" and click Next.

8. The "Partition or Disk to Restore" will open. Click on "Disk 1" and click
Next.

9. After some moments the "Restored Hard Disk Drive Location" screen opens.
Select (highlight) the HDD to be restored and click Next.

10. On the next screen select the "Yes" option to delete all current
partitions on the destination HDD. Click Next.

11. On the next screen select the "No" option and click Next.

12. On the next screen you have the option to validate the backup archive
before restoration. Click Next.

13. The final screen before the restoration operation begins will open.
Confirm that the information as shown is correct. Click Proceed.

14. Click OK when following completion of the recovery operation a message
appears indicating a successful recovery operation.

15. Remove the Acronis bootable rescue CD and close the Acronis program. The
system will reboot. A Windows "Found New Hardware" message followed by the
"System Settings Change" message box may appear on the Desktop. If they do,
click Yes for a reboot.

Note: While the Acronis program is not designed to clone individual
partitions - it can clone only the entire contents of one HDD to another
HDD - you can backup & recover individual partitions through the disk
imaging process as described above.
Anna