Socket A to Socket 754 convertor

Old August 29th 04, 09:29 PM
The Chief

Ed Light wrote:

"Wes Newell" wrote

The Jetway S755MAX is the
only SIS based board I found that's got what I wanted, and more.

Does it have cool and quiet?
Darn, they don't have a manual to download.

Here are some links to reviews you should probably read:

http://www.amdboard.com/zarch0216-1804.html

http://www.amdboard.com/sis_755_chipset.html

http://xbitlabs.com/articles/chipset...ay/sis755.html

Old August 30th 04, 05:12 AM
Wes Newell

On Sun, 29 Aug 2004 13:36:01 -0400, The Chief wrote:

I downloaded the manual for the S755MAX and there is absolutely no
reference to 'Cool-n-Quiet"

Right, it was added with the first bios update. they've also added
support for the newer cpu's. Last bios was V3 about a month ago.

Old August 30th 04, 05:20 AM
Wes Newell

On Sun, 29 Aug 2004 12:53:15 -0700, Ed Light wrote:

"The Chief" wrote
I downloaded the manual for the S755MAX and there is absolutely no
reference to 'Cool-n-Quiet"

I don't find it either.

Wasn't in the original bios.

Does it lock the pci/agp buses?

No, and neither did any of the other original K8 chipsets.:-)
I only tried a little overclocking and stopped at 215MHz system bus with
ram in sync.. No problems at that speed, I don't know if it has a 7
divider either. Now that they've fixed the NF3 chipset, I'd probably buy
one of those if I was buying today. But the SIS was the best of the
original chipsets, and Jetway added enough bios features to make it a good
choice. I really wanted an ASrock K8 board but it didn't even come close
to the Jetway.

Old August 30th 04, 05:24 AM
Wes Newell

On Sun, 29 Aug 2004 13:05:52 -0700, Ed Light wrote:

So the S755MAX has no multiplier control, or are all a-64 boards like that?

All socket 754 cpu's are multiplier locked at the top, All a multiplier
control would do is allow you to slow the cpu down. it really wouldn't be
much of an advantage without a PCI lock and some seriously fast ram. And
even then it wouldn't be much.

Old August 30th 04, 06:54 AM
Ed Light

"The Chief" wrote in message
Ed Light wrote:

So the S755MAX has no multiplier control, or are all a-64 boards like

that?

Why don't you download the manual and read it? You might learn
something instead of asking all your questions in a forum!

I did, that's how I know it has no multiplier control.

Further, it doesn't answer my question, which was "all a-64 boards are like
that"?

Thimk 1st, Chief! ;-)
--
Ed Light

Smiley :-/
MS Smiley :-\

Send spam to the FTC at

Thanks, robots.

Old August 30th 04, 11:23 AM

On Sun, 29 Aug 2004 17:05:12 GMT, Wes Newell
wrote:

On Sun, 29 Aug 2004 01:39:20 -0700, Ed Light wrote:

"Wes Newell" wrote
The Jetway S755MAX is the
only SIS based board I found that's got what I wanted, and more.

Does it have cool and quiet?
Darn, they don't have a manual to download.

CnQ, yes. get manual here.

ftp://61.30.14.91/manual/

It appears their main website (www.jetway.com.tw) is down. I don't no why
the manual adn bioses aren't on the jetwaycomputer.com site. Maybe they
are changing to the new name since jetway.com belongs to the aircraft
jetway people.:-)

site is back up 'n running, as of at this post Wes!

C&P from the site!

755MAXA2BIN
A02 (03/30/04) 755MAXA2.BIN
Support new version ID support I/O chip and backward compatible old
version. Change default year setting from 2003 to 2004 after end-user
clear CMOS. Support AMD K8 Cool'n Quiet function.

Advanced BIOS section on page 22!

here it mentions a ' cooling sprite ', but gives no further clue or
reference to cooling or Cool'n Quiet, only reference is to fan's.

BoroLad
Old September 16th 04, 11:22 AM
Gaidheal

Just as a point of interest, my XP3000+ is running at 2323 (202 MHz FSB with
11.5 multiplier on the NF2 chipset with all stock cooling). Just thought it
might a fun snippet with the mention of a 3000+ at nearly the same speed as
a hypothetical ;¬)

John