2 Computers 1 Printer

Old January 13th 05, 06:16 AM
Peter Pendleton

Default 2 Computers 1 Printer

I have two boxes. Can I plug both directly via usb cables into my Epson c66
printer.

Apologies for the newbie question but I have heard of problems connecting
the boxes directly via an ' ordinary ' usb cable and would not doing this
via the printer amount to the same thing?

TIA

PP

Old January 13th 05, 07:42 AM
Malvin

Although slightly different (HP officeJet V40), I have it connected to the
main computer and shared via a network.

Old January 13th 05, 08:55 AM
CWatters

"Peter Pendleton" wrote in message
I have two boxes. Can I plug both directly via usb cables into my Epson

c66
printer.

4 different ways to share a printer...

1) One way would be to use a USB switch box like this....
http://www.cablesnmor.com/usb-switch-box.html
I believe you have to press a button to select which computer talks to the
printer. The computer may take time to recognise the printer is connected so
this could be a slow method.

2) A better (but more complex) option would be to network the two PC
together and set up the printer as a shares printer. This means that the
print jobs for one PC go down the network cable to the other PC then to the
printer. This means that sometimes both PC need to be on but otherwise this
is a good option.

3) Purchase a printer server and set it up on the network. Caution not all
printer servers support all printers. Try and buy one from the same
manufacturer as the printer and check compatibility before you buy.

4) If your printer has both USB and Parallel ports you could try connecting
one PC to each socket. This doesn't always work though.