8knxp ultra part 2

Old November 22nd 04, 09:54 PM
Mr-Reece

Default 8knxp ultra part 2

Right so ive got my scsi set up and windows installed but when I enable sata
and or gigaraid my machine wont boot , ive tried setting the boot order to
scsi first but that didn't work what am I doing wrong this time?

Old November 22nd 04, 10:43 PM
Jeff French

Mr_Reece,
OK, you setup WinXP on your SCSI RAID HDs. This means this SCSI RAID set
must boot first. Boot order is setup in your SCSISelect Utility (ctrl-A keys
when booting up).
If you wish to also setup a SATA HD or a SATA Raid HD set, then the SATA or
GigaRaid drivers have to be installed 'with' WinXP the same way you
installed the SCSI Raid drivers (installed during the early setup of WinXP -
press F6 when this message is displayed: "Press F6 if you need to install
third-party SCSI drivers"). Once you have that sorted out, your SCSI drives
should play with your SATA drives just fine.

There are a couple of us providing you allot of technical information that
can be found in your Motherboard User's Manual. You do have a Motherboard
Users' Manual? How about you provide us with exactly what you are trying to
install. Please be very descriptive and detailed.

Jeff French

Old November 22nd 04, 10:55 PM
Mr-Reece

Right ok, didn't know I had to load the drivers for sata and giga at the f6
prompt even if I was not installing windows to the drives. I do have a
manual and I have read it but its not very comprehensive in my opinion. The
system im trying to create is as follows, scsi raid 1 which will be my
windows disk a sata raid 0 for other tasks and a large ide drive on ide
channel 3 for storage. Ide 1+2 for crdom burners etc.

Old November 23rd 04, 04:13 AM
Bob Davis

"Mr-Reece" wrote in message
| Right ok, didn't know I had to load the drivers for sata and giga at the
f6
| prompt even if I was not installing windows to the drives. I do have a
| manual and I have read it but its not very comprehensive in my opinion.
The
| system im trying to create is as follows, scsi raid 1 which will be my
| windows disk a sata raid 0 for other tasks and a large ide drive on ide
| channel 3 for storage. Ide 1+2 for crdom burners etc.

You don't necessarily need to load the SATA drivers when installing XP. I
started with a PATA drive as C: and switched to a single SATA, then later
SATA RAID0 on the ICH5R. I've never had to re-install XP.

To install the ICH5R RAID controller (82801ER), you must first have the
drivers ready on a floppy or elsewhere. Then enable the "on-chip" SATA
controller and RAID in the bios and reboot. XP will ask you for drivers for
the new hardware and you will point to their location. That should do it.

I was replacing an original PATA boot drive with a single SATA at first and
had to run Norton Ghost after, then restore the clone after the drivers were
loaded, which is another step or two. Your process should be much easier.

Old November 23rd 04, 11:22 PM
Jeff French

Mr-Reece,
IMPORTANT ---- For your requested configuration, GIGARAID will NOT be used!
Always remember to disable the GIGARAID in the BIOS and always configure the
GigaRaid function to ATA.

Attach your two SATA drives to the connectors on the M/B. Also jumper your
large HD as 'Master' and CD as 'Slave' and connect them on the Primary
ribbon cable (IDE1 Connector in manual). Jumper your CDRW as 'Slave' and
connect it to the Secondary ribbon cable (IDE2 Connector in manual).

Start the system, enter the BIOS.
Load Fail-Safe Defaults, then allow the computer to reboot.
Re-enter the BIOS and make the following changes:
On-Chip SATA is Auto
Onboard H/W SCSI is Enabled
Onboard H/W GIGARAID is Disabled
GigaRAID Function is ATA

I think everything else will be default settings.

In the above configuration you should be booting from your SCSI Raid HD set
you setup earlier. This configuration should also allow you to see your two
SATA HDs and your single IDE HD.

Keep in mind, if the SATA drives have not been initialized (formatted) then
go into the 'Disk Management' section of WinXP and do so. This same process
applies to the IDE drive as a Master on the Secondary IDE ribbon cable.

Please confirm that you have configured your drives and made changes to the
BIOS as above and can see 'Healthy Status' on all your drives in the 'Disk

Old November 24th 04, 02:17 AM
Mr-Reece

Did all that no luck. If I only have scsi enabled everything works fine but
as soon as I enable sata or gigaraid system wont boot(it hangs after the
floppy looks for a disk). I have to enable gigaraid to see my ide disk by
the way. I tried reinstalling windows and setup tells me I have to write
files to my sata drives even when I choose to install windows on my scsi
raid is this normal? If it is that's ok system boots ok and all disks are
recognized. Thinking on i might use the option to map the sata channel to
sec salve 4 maybe I wont have to write files to that disc to install windows
what do you think? Also when I set up a sata raid using the raid setup menu
it marks the raid as bootable and I cant see an option to disable that, I
looked at the manual but I cant find a reference to it, jumper setting on
the discs?

Old November 24th 04, 11:42 AM
Jeff French

Mr-Reece,
What I would suggest to do is:
Go into the SCSISelect and disable the SCSI drive from booting. Save your
setting.

In the motherboard BIOS load fail-safe defaults, reboot machine.
Return to BIOS and make the following changes:
Onboard H/W SCSI is Disabled
Onboard H/W GIGARAID is Disabled
GigaRAID Function is ATA

Attach your matching SATA drives to the SATA connection on M/B.
Set jumpers on large IDE HD to 'Master' and attach it to IDE channel 1 (end
of cable) on IDE1 connector on M/B.
Set jumper on CD to 'Slave' and attach to IDE channel 2 (middle of cable) on
IDE1 connector on M/B.
Set jumper on CDRW to 'Slave' and attach to IDE channel 2 (middle of cable)
on IDE2 connector on M/B.

Install WinXP, use F6 option and install SATA RAID drivers. When machine
reboots, enter the SATA RAID configuration utility (Cntrl I when displayed
on boot screen) and configure your SATA drives. Let WinXP continue to finish
to install itself.

The end result will be a machine with WinXP on the SATA RAID HD set. A
second large HD on another channel.
To access your SCSI HDs simply enable H/W SCSI in Bios. (I would wipe the
SCSI drives clean and use them for backup). When you are done with the SCSI
drives then disable the H/W SCSI in Bios.

Please understand I don't own this motherboard. I have the Ultra-64 version.
There are a number of differences between the two boards. I have had to
download and print the users manual for your GA-8KNXP Ultra motherboard. I'm
using it to make suggestions for configuration. The above configuration is
how I have my Ultra-64 setup. The main difference between the two boards is
the Ultra-64 has PCI-X slots, second SATA controller, and 320 SCSI ability,
it has no GIGARAID connections.

Please let me know what you have decided.

Jeff French

Old November 24th 04, 05:37 PM
Mr-Reece

Thanks Jeff I will let you know what happens, cheers.