ite raid controller extremely slow in 7n400 pro2 rev2

Old July 1st 04, 03:11 PM
Ale

Default ite raid controller extremely slow in 7n400 pro2 rev2

Excuse for my poor english...
I have noticed that when i try to read from my two maxtor 60 gb in raid 0
the value sounded normal (70-80 mb/s) but when i'm trying to write in that
discs the value il really really poor...like an ata 33 hd...does anyone know
about this problem??
I'm using win xp pro with the latest raid drivers....but if this is normal
for this motherboard i will sold it almost now!!
It's impossible to use the raid in this way....
CAn someone help me??
Thanks!!

Old July 1st 04, 09:27 PM
jpsga

Ali,

What are Maxtor the model numbers for the drives?
What is your test software.
Are you on the GigaRAID (PATA) ports or the SATA ports?
I use the Rev 1 board and both he serial and the Parallel RAID ports read
very fast ( in the 90 mb/s range). I do not check the write speeds as I
don't have a tester that I trust that will do it
Testing these arrays can be a problem.

Jim

PS-If you think your English is bad you should see my Italian

Old July 1st 04, 09:36 PM
Ale

"jpsga" ha scritto nel messaggio
Ali,

What are Maxtor the model numbers for the drives?
What is your test software.
Are you on the GigaRAID (PATA) ports or the SATA ports?
I use the Rev 1 board and both he serial and the Parallel RAID ports read
very fast ( in the 90 mb/s range). I do not check the write speeds as I
don't have a tester that I trust that will do it
Testing these arrays can be a problem.

Jim

PS-If you think your English is bad you should see my Italian

:-)
I'm using 2 maxtor diamondmax plus9 60 gb..i use hd tach and hd speed..the
values in reading are good but when i'm copying something in these discs the
speed is very very slow if we look at a single hd (6 minutes against 30
minutes of the raid discs !!!!!!!!! a horrible result)...
the sata raid is better because it's a highpoint controller....this ite is
really out of any imagination!!
But i've read this :

PATA RAID powered by ITE GigaRAID Controller
Found on: K8NNXP, K8N Pro, 7NNXP, 7N400 Pro and 7N400 Pro2 NOT AVAILABLE on
K8N, 7N400L and 7N400L1
General
There have been many complaints about the lackluster, if not completely
awful performance from the ITE RAID controller. To date, there IS NO FIX. It
appears to be a hardware design flaw.
Errata
Besides the hardware design flaw in the implementation of the ITE GigaRAID
controller, there is also another flaw which affects professional level
sound cards.
-= PR3ACH3R =- wrote:
When Used With Any Pro Audio Card ,For recording ,
The ITE CHIP will send Horrible Repeating Clicks every second or so while
WRITING TO THE DRIVE ..

The clicks are sent to ALL THE DEVICES ON THE PCI BUS,
& Repeat every second or so WHILE THE DRIVE IS WRITING.

The Clicks DO NOT APPEAR when used with the
STANDARD IDE Channels of the Nforce2 .

For more information on the ITE bug, check out pr3ach3r's website

( http://pr3ach3r.overkillsystems.net/ )

............so i'm not the only one that has this problem :-(
Suggestions???

Old July 2nd 04, 01:00 AM
Tim

Check for driver updates at the ITE web site.
They have produced some new drivers a while back that are reported to
"solve" the performance problems. I don't use mine so can't confirm.
Check that you do not have discs pugged into Master and Slave on the same
cable - this will kill performance (read and write) so doesn't sound like
the cause.

- Tim

Old July 2nd 04, 08:38 AM
Ale

"Tim" ha scritto nel messaggio
Check for driver updates at the ITE web site.
They have produced some new drivers a while back that are reported to
"solve" the performance problems. I don't use mine so can't confirm.
Check that you do not have discs pugged into Master and Slave on the same
cable - this will kill performance (read and write) so doesn't sound like
the cause.

- Tim

The discs are plugged in two different cables as masters...
the official page is this:
http://www.ite.com.tw/productInfo/Do...ware%20Support

Can i change the bios of the controller if it is inside the mainboard??

Old July 2nd 04, 08:46 AM
Ale

"Tim" ha scritto nel messaggio
Check for driver updates at the ITE web site.
They have produced some new drivers a while back that are reported to
"solve" the performance problems.

I've tried the latest v1.7.1.9 drivers but the situation is the same...and
the flash utility don't recognize the controller as IT8212....i think
because it is the it8212F implemented in the mb...
Suggestions??

Old July 2nd 04, 11:00 AM
Tim

The ITE firmware will be part of the motherboard bios, so check your bios
version.

The ITE Drivers are separate and on the web site you referred to somewhere.

You may only see the performance boost when a matched bios / firmware /
driver is installed.

- Tim

Old July 2nd 04, 11:58 AM
Ale

"Tim" ha scritto nel messaggio
The ITE firmware will be part of the motherboard bios, so check your bios
version.

The ITE Drivers are separate and on the web site you referred to

somewhere.

You may only see the performance boost when a matched bios / firmware /
driver is installed.

- Tim

Thanks, i have already the latest bios for my mb...
Now i'm thinking to delete my raid and use the normal ata controller....
:-(
This is something very annoing for me, a bad point for gigabyte...

Old July 4th 04, 12:45 PM
jpsga

Well, it turns out that this is not a RAID problem but a file copy problem.
When copy /paste is used, both read and write buffering come into play and
things slow down.

The 'move' command is faster.

JPS

Old July 4th 04, 02:42 PM
Ale

Well, it turns out that this is not a RAID problem but a file copy

problem.
When copy /paste is used, both read and write buffering come into play and
things slow down.

The 'move' command is faster.

JPS

But when i'm for example decompressing a file .rar of 50 megab.of mp3s the
all operation takes about 1 minute...when i used the raid with my old 7vaxp
ultra with the promise controller the operation takes 15 seconds with my
discs..the file is so stupid to decompress..so it's a controller
problem..and in italy i've found a lot of people with this problem..no one
has a solution..
Now i have found an external raid card with the ITE 8212F chip...i wanna see
if with an external card the situation is the same or not..
Stay tuned next week..
Bye