A7N8X Deluxe + Barton 2500. Choice of HSF?

Old November 30th 03, 02:49 PM
arch

Default A7N8X Deluxe + Barton 2500. Choice of HSF?

Hi,
I recently bought a A7N8x Deluxe rev 2.0. I planning to use it with a Barton
2500 CPU and overclock it to 200 FSB and "whatever the appropriate
multiplier is to take it up to 3 GHz).

One choice is I can buy a retail AMD 2500, with its heat sink fan.

Or, I can just buy the CPU. And say put a Volcano Thermaltake 7 on top of
it...

Would the combination work? Would it be noisy? Would it appropriately cool
the system? As an additional information, the case is an Ahanix platinumxp
case, with two 80mm fans (one front, one rear)..

thx.

Old November 30th 03, 04:34 PM
AJ

On Sun, 30 Nov 2003 14:49:58 GMT, "arch" wrote:

Hi,
I recently bought a A7N8x Deluxe rev 2.0. I planning to use it with a Barton
2500 CPU and overclock it to 200 FSB and "whatever the appropriate
multiplier is to take it up to 3 GHz).

One choice is I can buy a retail AMD 2500, with its heat sink fan.

Or, I can just buy the CPU. And say put a Volcano Thermaltake 7 on top of
it...

Would the combination work?

Yes, I have it and it works.

Would it be noisy?

For many people yes.

Would it appropriately cool
the system?

Yes anything is better than the retail fan. The retail heat sink is
not that bad, just comes with a low CFM fan.

As an additional information, the case is an Ahanix platinumxp
case, with two 80mm fans (one front, one rear)..

thx.

The Vantec Tornado(85cfm) is for you. Use the 7v trick to reduce the
noise to almost zero. Installing that fan on the retail HS keeps temps
around 45C. I tested 3 fancy HSF units and all ran hotter and louder
than that setup. plus cost a lot more.
HSF compasion:
http://tinyurl.com/x3e6
------------
When your PC gives a little they give a lot.
http://www.dslreports.com/forum/disco
Old November 30th 03, 05:17 PM
arch

"AJ" wrote in message
On Sun, 30 Nov 2003 14:49:58 GMT, "arch" wrote:

Hi,
I recently bought a A7N8x Deluxe rev 2.0. I planning to use it with a

Barton
2500 CPU and overclock it to 200 FSB and "whatever the appropriate
multiplier is to take it up to 3 GHz).

One choice is I can buy a retail AMD 2500, with its heat sink fan.

Or, I can just buy the CPU. And say put a Volcano Thermaltake 7 on top of
it...

Would the combination work?

Yes, I have it and it works.

I read the thermaltake website, they have certified it up to AMD 2800+. if I
overclock it above 3GHz, will it still be ok? Or would just go ahead and
find somthing else, somethinger quieter (it is also important) and maybe a
bit better cooler?

Would it be noisy?

For many people yes.

Old November 30th 03, 05:41 PM
AJ

I read the thermaltake website, they have certified it up to AMD 2800+. if I
overclock it above 3GHz, will it still be ok?

Yes since it's much better than the retail HSF.
2500+, 2600+, 2800+. 3000+, 3200+, all run at similar temps. Actually
they all run cooler than my TB 1400.