Large HD

Old November 29th 03, 10:01 PM
Turner

Default Large HD

Will the A7N8X (rev. 2.0) support a 160gb IDE drive with WinXP SP1 installed

Thanks

Old November 29th 03, 10:43 PM
Chris Conway

For what i thought as long as you go with NTFS you can put up to 2
terabytes..so you should be good.

Old November 29th 03, 11:15 PM
Turner

Disregard, I found the postings above.

Old November 30th 03, 12:28 PM
Shepİ

On Sat, 29 Nov 2003 16:43:57 -0600, My brain dual boots Concious and
Subconcious but I never had a choice but then "Chris Conway"
wrote :

For what i thought as long as you go with NTFS you can put up to 2
terabytes..so you should be good.

Nope.2 terabytes is the FAT 32 limit of partitions.
NTFS has a theoretical partition limit of 16 Exabytes or
18,446,744,073,709,551,616 bytes (2^64 sectors).

and would take 127 years to defrag ;-)

HTH

--
Free Windows/PC help,
email shepATpartyheld.de
Old November 30th 03, 06:54 PM
Rob Stow

wrote :

For what i thought as long as you go with NTFS you can put up to 2
terabytes..so you should be good.

Nope.2 terabytes is the FAT 32 limit of partitions.
NTFS has a theoretical partition limit of 16 Exabytes or
18,446,744,073,709,551,616 bytes (2^64 sectors).

and would take 127 years to defrag ;-)

The *theoretical* limit of NTFS is 16 EB. However, given
the current practice of using 512 byte sectors in the hardware
and the fact that NT and W2K only support partitions of
up to 2^32 sectors, there is a *practical* limit on partition
sizes of "only" 2 TB.

NT and W2K support sector sizes up to 4 KB, which would
extend the partition size limit to 16 TB. However, drive
manufacturers have shown little inclination to use anything
other than the current 512 byte standard for sectors.

The size of the largest drives seems to be doubling
about every 15 months, on average. If that rate continues
we would be seeing 2 TB drives after just three more
doublings - or in less than 4 more years. College students
are going to fill them up with MP3's, lose everything because
they didn't have a way to backup 2 TB, and then download
them all over again.

"Turner" wrote in message

Will the A7N8X (rev. 2.0) support a 160gb IDE drive with WinXP SP1

installed

Thanks

--
Reply to newsgroup only please. This e-mail account is real
but effectively abandoned because of excessive spamming.
Old November 30th 03, 07:32 PM
Shepİ

On Sun, 30 Nov 2003 12:54:31 -0600, My brain dual boots Concious and
Subconcious but I never had a choice but then Rob Stow

wrote :

[...]

Heh.Heh
Personally hard drives are getting way too big and it's the old
adage,"The more space,the more you fill it up".I would prefer the
drive makers to concentrate on speed now the sizes are so big.I never
keep critical data just on something as volatile as a hard drive ;-)

--
Free Windows/PC help,
email shepATpartyheld.de