usb- micro-b and his friends

Old June 25th 17, 10:24 AM posted to microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,alt.comp.hardware
micky

Default usb- micro-b and his friends

In microsoft.public.windowsxp.general, on Sun, 25 Jun 2017 00:35:20
-0400, Paul wrote:

micky wrote:

And when I went to buy a battery, it must be an unsual size because
several stores were out of htem. A couple months later, I realized I'd
better buy a second or the camera would be worthless when the first one
feiled, but by this time, almost everyone was out of them, and I had to
buy a charging kit with two batteries.

I got my Point and Shoot camera at Staples.

Then I drove down the street to find a Best Buy, and
looked at batteries there. There was a whole display
full of different types, and I knew right away all this
"customization" was to lock you into the manufacturer
battery. Or at least, that was their intention. The
battery I got, was an off-brand, and it's worked just
as good as the battery that came with the camera.

There were so many batteries on the wall display,
I can see how they'd have to chuck the old ones
to make room for new ones.

Paul

Yeah, it's ridiclous but tbey must think they make more moeny that way.

For some reason there is no entry in my Amazon records of the battery
and charger I bought from them, but at least there is a record of
another one I didn't buy:

Samsung Digital Camera Battery BP70A (Discontinued by Manufacturer)
by Samsung

It might have been made also by other companie and it was the size of a
postage stamp.

I knew there was a good reason to leave these things in the
maybe-shopping cart, even after I'd bought one.
Old June 25th 17, 03:22 PM posted to microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,alt.comp.hardware
Paul[_28_]

-0400, Paul wrote:

micky wrote:

[...]

I see one (look-alike) listed at Walmart. But do they
really have it ? You can't trust the web. It's like building
supplies. There will be a listing, a glossy picture, then
"not available in your area". And if you sweep stores across
the country, it's "not available in your area" at every store.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Insten-IN...932#about-item

Paul
Old June 25th 17, 04:30 PM posted to microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,alt.comp.hardware
John McGaw

On 6/24/2017 7:40 PM, Paul wrote:
Lithium camera batteries are nice, because there is just
the one cell, and you can "flatten" those without harm.

Maybe some are single cells but some others, Canon for example, have 7.4V
battery packs with two cells in series. The Canon I use most has a 7.4V
1050mAh interchangeable pack as have the previous two versions. So far as I
can tell the charger has the proper balancing circuitry and the packs have
a thermal sensor so I don't worry about the charging going pear-shaped. The
packs seem to last forever and over the years I've never experienced one
going 'bad' in any way. The only PITA is that it rules out USB charging so
when I travel abroad I need to pack Canon's proprietary charger and plug
adapter.
Old June 25th 17, 06:03 PM posted to microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,alt.comp.hardware
Paul[_28_]

John McGaw wrote:
On 6/24/2017 7:40 PM, Paul wrote:
Lithium camera batteries are nice, because there is just
the one cell, and you can "flatten" those without harm.

Maybe some are single cells but some others, Canon for example, have
7.4V battery packs with two cells in series. The Canon I use most has a
7.4V 1050mAh interchangeable pack as have the previous two versions. So
far as I can tell the charger has the proper balancing circuitry and the
packs have a thermal sensor so I don't worry about the charging going
pear-shaped. The packs seem to last forever and over the years I've
never experienced one going 'bad' in any way. The only PITA is that it
rules out USB charging so when I travel abroad I need to pack Canon's
proprietary charger and plug adapter.

Was this a camcorder perhaps ? I could understand some
of those needing a bit more juice.

The Point and Shoot camera I bought, they seemed to be
able to get by with just one cell for voltage. They would
still need to run the retract motor for the lens
off that.

Switching power circuits, come in "buck" and "boost"
flavors. If all you have is 5V, you can make higher
voltages from that, but the current flow rating is
reduced. A 5V @ 500mA power source, could be converted
to a 10V @ 250mA source, but it would take quite a while to charge
your battery from that. So that would be a boost circuit.

But these just don't seem to be commodity items, much as
I'd like to have a collection of stuff like that here.

Paul
Old June 25th 17, 07:05 PM posted to microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,alt.comp.hardware
John McGaw

On 6/25/2017 1:03 PM, Paul wrote:
Was this a camcorder perhaps ?

No, regular still cameras of the 'G' series ranging from G1 up to G11.
Canon's DSLR cameras use similar but not identical 7.4V batteries and
chargers. No idea what their camcorders used but I can verify that in
ancient times the Canon Scoopic 16mm film camera used 12V packs and they
used to go dead quickly and at inconvenient times.
Old June 26th 17, 12:33 AM posted to microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,alt.comp.hardware
micky

In microsoft.public.windowsxp.general, on Sun, 25 Jun 2017 11:30:34
-0400, John McGaw wrote:

On 6/24/2017 7:40 PM, Paul wrote:
Lithium camera batteries are nice, because there is just
the one cell, and you can "flatten" those without harm.

Maybe some are single cells but some others, Canon for example, have 7.4V
battery packs with two cells in series. The Canon I use most has a 7.4V
1050mAh interchangeable pack as have the previous two versions. So far as I
can tell the charger has the proper balancing circuitry and the packs have
a thermal sensor so I don't worry about the charging going pear-shaped. The
packs seem to last forever and over the years I've never experienced one
going 'bad' in any way. The only PITA is that it rules out USB charging so
when I travel abroad I need to pack Canon's proprietary charger and plug
adapter.

You already have your charger, but you still might be interested in what
I ended up with, for the Samsung:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...NWBAWAH YG3PL

The charger came in 3 pieces, the cigarette cord; the charger; and the
frame that holds the battery. The last two clipped together
permanently, os it was clear they made the same charger for everything,
and then different plastic frames for the many shapes of batteries.

Now it's selling for $20, but I thought it was less a year ago. Maybe
not, but if you figure the batteries cost 7 to 10 dollars and it
included two of them (mine included Samsung brand) that only leaves a
couple dollars for the charger.

So I figured it wouold be junk, especially when I got it and saw how
light it was. But it worked just fine. It has a red led that lights
when charging and changes to green, which I assume means the battery's
charged (little or no instructions). I could leave the charger in the
car's console and when the light turned green, remove the battery to the
plastic bag I carried it in.

I must thinkl I was doing a PBS documentary because I took pictures of
everything. I took 1400 pictures in 80 days. Not only don't my friends
have time to look at them all, I don't have time.
Old June 26th 17, 02:54 AM posted to microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,alt.comp.hardware
micky

-0400, Paul wrote:

micky wrote:

[...]

Ah, so it is a lithium battery. Now I don't have to go get one of mine.

$7

Paul

I think I said enough about it, but ftr, I found the charger and 2
batteries, though they're not the same brand I bought, original Samsung.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...NWBAWAH YG3PL

It's $20

(Qty. 2) Hi Capacity Lithium 1000mAH Replacement extended Battery For
Samsung BP70A + 110/220 Ac/Dc Rapid Travel Charger For Samsung BP70A
A spare rechargeable battery and charger is an essential accessory. No
power, no pictures!
ButterflyPhoto Micro Fiber Cleaning Cloth - Safely Removes Fingerprints
and Dust, Cleans Without Chemicals
Deluxe Universal 5" LCD Screen Protectors
This Kit Includes Some Of The Essential Accessories You Need To Take
Full Advantage Of Your New Samsung WB50F, WB35F, WB30F, ST150F, DV150F,
ST76, EC-PL120, MV800 MultiView Digital Camera

The one I bought didnt' come with screen protectors. I guess they mean
the camera's screen. I kept it in a bag most of the time it was in my
poscket, and didn't put anything hard in if it was wasn't in a bag, and
so far it's perfect.
Old June 26th 17, 10:03 AM posted to microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,alt.comp.hardware
Paul[_28_]

micky wrote:

I took 1400 pictures in 80 days.

So you're actually Jules Verne then.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Around...in_Eighty_Days

If you put the pictures in a flip-book, it becomes
the movie adaptation.

Paul

Old July 9th 17, 07:19 AM posted to microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,alt.comp.hardware
~misfit~[_16_]

Once upon a time on usenet John McGaw wrote:
On 6/25/2017 1:03 PM, Paul wrote:
Was this a camcorder perhaps ?

No, regular still cameras of the 'G' series ranging from G1 up to G11.
Canon's DSLR cameras use similar but not identical 7.4V batteries and
chargers. No idea what their camcorders used but I can verify that in
ancient times the Canon Scoopic 16mm film camera used 12V packs and
they used to go dead quickly and at inconvenient times.

The cells that they use in those Canon battery packs are great! (Or at least
they used to be.) I was given a bag of bits from a 'tinkerer' who was
clearing some stuff out and I found an old beat-up Canon 7.2v battery. I
opened it up and it contained two dead Sony 14430 cells. I don't know what
capacity they were originally but I charged them, cycled them a few times
and they both hold 570 mAh (and have done over quite a few dozen usage
cycles now). They do better than some Trustfire 14500 '900mAh' cells after a
dozen uses.

I guess I should Google them... 'Sony US14430GR'

Wow! They were specced for 590mAh new in 1999 and these are well over 17
years old and still hold 570 consistantly!. They guy told me the camera
lasted about ten years and he kept the battery after it died.
--
Shaun.

little classification in the DSM*."
David Melville (in r.a.s.f1)