Intel Atom Co-processor

Old May 8th 17, 03:31 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
philo

Default Intel Atom Co-processor

I was given a Zotak mini-PC with Win7 some time ago and just upgraded it
to Win10

In device manager no driver is present for the co-processor.

(as best as I recall there were no drivers missing in Win7)

So far I have not been able to find a driver either using the Windows
search function or from the Intel website.

Machine seems to work OK...

What does this co-processor do?

Is a driver really needed?
Old May 8th 17, 04:05 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Paul[_28_]

philo wrote:
I was given a Zotak mini-PC with Win7 some time ago and just upgraded it
to Win10

In device manager no driver is present for the co-processor.

(as best as I recall there were no drivers missing in Win7)

So far I have not been able to find a driver either using the Windows
search function or from the Intel website.

Machine seems to work OK...

What does this co-processor do?

Is a driver really needed?

When you use Device Manager, do Properties on the unknown item,
can you get a HardwareID and a VEN/DEV or VID/PID ? As that's how
you'd track down an unknown.

This kinda sounds like your symptom, so it could be the
ION GPU.

https://forums.geforce.com/default/t...t-is-missing-/

There were a couple of IONs. There is another one, which is an
"appendage" and connects via a PCI Express x1 lane, and it might
not be as nice as this one. This ION has better connectivity.

https://www.pcper.com/reviews/Mother...erboard-Review

The cheesy version of ION is on the right. These things tend
to happen, when NVidia doesn't have a "bus license" for whatever
Intel is using on a given day. At least connecting to PCI Express
is free and clean, but a x1 lane is gutless (as at least in
this example, it would not be Rev.3) .

http://techreport.com/news/18546/nex...n-takes-flight

Paul
Old May 8th 17, 04:10 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
philo

On 05/08/2017 10:05 AM, Paul wrote:
philo wrote:
[...]

Thanks for the reply.

The CPU is an Intel Atom 330 and I was able to manually install the
driver by "Choosing device" selecting "CPU" and finally "Intel"

I got the standard warning that the driver may not have been written
specifically for your device, but it seems to have worked fine.

There are no drivers missing now, though instead of showing four cores,
it shows five.

Still curious though what the co-processor does.
Old May 8th 17, 04:27 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Paul[_28_]

philo wrote:
[...]

Get the HardwareID numbers and look it up ?

You should also be able to look in the C:\Windows\INF folder
and see which oemXX.inf file was just added. Opening the INF
file with a text editor, may have comments about it. The
text string placed in Device Manager for a newly installed
device, is usually nearer the bottom of the INF file text.

Paul
Old May 8th 17, 07:27 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
MikeS[_2_]

On 08/05/2017 16:10, philo wrote:
On 05/08/2017 10:05 AM, Paul wrote:

snip

Still curious though what the co-processor does.

The driver you wanted enables 1080p HD video decoding to be offloaded
from the Atom processor to the Nvidia GPU. Its not a "real" dedicated
co-processor like the floating point math ones of long ago but I guess
the effect is similar.

Old May 9th 17, 01:16 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
philo

On 05/08/2017 10:27 AM, Paul wrote:
ews/18546/next-generation-nvidia-ion-takes-flight

Paul

Thanks for the reply.

The CPU is an Intel Atom 330 and I was able to manually install the
driver by "Choosing device" selecting "CPU" and finally "Intel"

I got the standard warning that the driver may not have been written
specifically for your device, but it seems to have worked fine.

There are no drivers missing now, though instead of showing four
cores, it shows five.

Still curious though what the co-processor does.

Get the HardwareID numbers and look it up ?

You should also be able to look in the C:\Windows\INF folder
and see which oemXX.inf file was just added. Opening the INF
file with a text editor, may have comments about it. The
text string placed in Device Manager for a newly installed
device, is usually nearer the bottom of the INF file text.

Paul

Machine is put away , I'm working on an emergency right now.

Had three jobs today, farmed one out to my wife as it was a Photoshop
question
Old May 9th 17, 01:17 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
philo

On 05/08/2017 01:27 PM, MikeS wrote:
On 08/05/2017 16:10, philo wrote:
On 05/08/2017 10:05 AM, Paul wrote:

snip

Still curious though what the co-processor does.

The driver you wanted enables 1080p HD video decoding to be offloaded
from the Atom processor to the Nvidia GPU. Its not a "real" dedicated
co-processor like the floating point math ones of long ago but I guess
the effect is similar.

Thank you very much.

I am sure the machine is not ever going to be used for video decoding
but I always like to make sure all drivers are installed
Old May 9th 17, 10:53 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
wasbit[_4_]

"philo" wrote in message
news
I was given a Zotak mini-PC with Win7 some time ago and just upgraded it
to Win10

In device manager no driver is present for the co-processor.

(as best as I recall there were no drivers missing in Win7)

So far I have not been able to find a driver either using the Windows
search function or from the Intel website.

Machine seems to work OK...

What does this co-processor do?

Is a driver really needed?

Probably not.
Mine ran months before I managed to find the correct motherboard driver from
Intel.
Can't remember what it was as the PC is long gone.

--
Regards
wasbit

Unicorn spotted--a helpful guide through Intel (including Atom),AMD, and Via without the fanboy extras Robert Myers Intel 1 July 7th 10 12:14 AM
Intel D510 Atom cpu Zeppo Intel 6 May 7th 10 12:25 AM
Info on Intel Atom Pine View boe Intel 6 December 7th 09 07:01 PM
Intel Atom N270 EEEPC .. which version of linux should I install? iheartmyeeepcnetbook Intel 2 December 7th 09 03:28 AM
Can I use Intel CPUs for my new atom bomb? Ernest Nafkin Intel 5 April 20th 04 03:02 AM