wireless mouse not working

Old January 29th 17, 08:53 PM posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.hardware
Norm X[_2_]

Default wireless mouse not working

This message is Xposted to relevant news groups

Hi,

I have a Nexxtech wireless mouse. It has stopped working on my Win10Pro
desktop PC even after reboot. It worked before. I have moved it to this
WinXP netbook where it works fine. I'm using it right now. It uses a USB
wireless dongle. My question is about Win10. Why has it stopped working and
how can I restore its function?

Thanks in advance.

Old January 29th 17, 09:41 PM posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.hardware
Keith Nuttle

On 1/29/2017 2:53 PM, Norm X wrote:
This message is Xposted to relevant news groups

Hi,

I have a Nexxtech wireless mouse. It has stopped working on my Win10Pro
desktop PC even after reboot. It worked before. I have moved it to this
WinXP netbook where it works fine. I'm using it right now. It uses a USB
wireless dongle. My question is about Win10. Why has it stopped working and
how can I restore its function?

Thanks in advance.

Go to the OEM of the mouse and download the latest drivers.
Old January 29th 17, 10:17 PM posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.hardware
Paul[_28_]

Norm X wrote:
This message is Xposted to relevant news groups

Hi,

I have a Nexxtech wireless mouse. It has stopped working on my Win10Pro
desktop PC even after reboot. It worked before. I have moved it to this
WinXP netbook where it works fine. I'm using it right now. It uses a USB
wireless dongle. My question is about Win10. Why has it stopped working and
how can I restore its function?

Thanks in advance.

Yes, this happens, and you're not alone. Don't panic.
It's not a hardware defect.

https://www.tenforums.com/drivers-ha...working-2.html

It might take some Device Manager work, uninstalling
the driver, reboot, let it be re-discovered.

For example, I have three mice on the Test Machine. Two
USB2 mice, one serial mouse. Occasionally, I will lose one.
Probably a USB mose. The serial one is pretty good, as
it seems to be reliably detected. Most of the time, just
one reboot is enough for it to come back.

Paul
Old January 30th 17, 06:58 AM posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.hardware
mike

On 1/29/2017 11:53 AM, Norm X wrote:
This message is Xposted to relevant news groups

Hi,

I have a Nexxtech wireless mouse. It has stopped working on my Win10Pro
desktop PC even after reboot. It worked before.

Just to be clear, this mouse worked on this computer with win10Pro
and it just stopped working???

Most likely cause of failure is the last thing that changed.
With win10, updates may have trashed the driver.
There are methods to back out updates, but someone like Paul
will have to tell you how to do it.

I once had a wireless mouse that only worked on some systems.
Changing the battery fixed it.

Old January 31st 17, 04:34 AM posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.hardware
Norm X[_2_]

"mike" wrote
I once had a wireless mouse that only worked on some systems.
Changing the battery fixed it.

Yes. I put new batteries in the mouse after I checked the batteries which a
volt meter. Strange, the red laser light never faltered. I guess RF consumes
more energy. Then I powered up the mouse for Win10 to detect it. It was not
detected. There might be some connection to down time for the mouse and
driver replacement by Win10.

Old January 31st 17, 01:51 PM posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.hardware
Paul[_28_]

Norm X wrote:
"mike" wrote
I once had a wireless mouse that only worked on some systems.
Changing the battery fixed it.

Yes. I put new batteries in the mouse after I checked the batteries which a
volt meter. Strange, the red laser light never faltered. I guess RF consumes
more energy. Then I powered up the mouse for Win10 to detect it. It was not
detected. There might be some connection to down time for the mouse and
driver replacement by Win10.

You can see that laundry-lists of sins are known for Win10.
I wouldn't believe some of them, unless I had experienced them
first hand. I think I've had a RealTek audio package installed
separately, and don't recollect the HID subsystem falling over
on me.

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/finally...-mouse-issues/

My problems just seem to be more random. Like, if I rebooted
six times, sometimes a mouse would disappear. I don't recollect
my serial (RS232) test mouse disappearing, ever. It always
seems to work. I don't have a PS/2 mouse port available,
but I'm pretty sure if I had one, it would always work too.
"If it's flaky, it's USB" is my motto.

Paul
Old January 31st 17, 07:19 PM posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.hardware
mike

On 2017-01-30 00:58, mike wrote:
On 1/29/2017 11:53 AM, Norm X wrote:
This message is Xposted to relevant news groups

Hi,

I have a Nexxtech wireless mouse. It has stopped working on my Win10Pro
desktop PC even after reboot. It worked before.

Just to be clear, this mouse worked on this computer with win10Pro
and it just stopped working???

Most likely cause of failure is the last thing that changed.
With win10, updates may have trashed the driver.
There are methods to back out updates, but someone like Paul
will have to tell you how to do it.

[...]

Also beware of firmware updates. These may come with Windows updates,
but their sources is the hardware maker. It seems to be a law of updates
that fixing a problem in firmware causes at least one new problem.

Have a good day,

USB has a bunch of hoops to jump thru to work.
Mice have a bunch of hoops to jump thru.
Depending on bios settings and OS settings, a USB mouse
has to be detected by the bios to work there.
It has to be detected by the OS to work there. There are
a bunch of settings that can foil that process. IF an OS update
changes the default setting for power to the USB ports under some
conditions, the device may fail.

When you plug in the USB mouse receiver,
you can see the success in device manager. If that doesn't happen,
your USB receiver or the port is busted or misconfigured or just
dirty/corroded.

First thing I'd do is boot the live Puppy Linux CD and see if
the mouse works there. If you're a MS devotee, Hiren's boot CD
can perform the same test. Either can be made to boot from USB
if you don't have a CD.

There's a diagnostic program called USBDeview that will show you every
USB device ever connected to your machine and whether it's currently
active.

Of course, some very old USB mice don't have available drivers and
won't work until you find/install them separately. That's not your
case because you said it "worked before".

Stuff does break. Just last night, the sound quit on my TV box.
Long story short, it was the sound source selector switch to the
amplified speakers.
How often does a mechanical switch just quit transmitting sound
on both channels without touching it?
Old February 1st 17, 06:23 PM posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.hardware
John McGaw

On 1/29/2017 2:53 PM, Norm X wrote:
This message is Xposted to relevant news groups

Hi,

I have a Nexxtech wireless mouse. It has stopped working on my Win10Pro
desktop PC even after reboot. It worked before. I have moved it to this
WinXP netbook where it works fine. I'm using it right now. It uses a USB
wireless dongle. My question is about Win10. Why has it stopped working and
how can I restore its function?

Thanks in advance.

Does it fail right in the middle of use or does it happen when it has been
idle for a while? I've had vague intermittent problems in the past with
some USB device or other for which the settings had been modified to
effectively power down the port when it was idle. It has been a while and
it certainly wasn't with W10 but it might be worth looking at.
Old February 6th 17, 07:02 PM posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.hardware
Johnny B Good

On Tue, 31 Jan 2017 07:51:05 -0500, Paul wrote:

Norm X wrote:
"mike" wrote
[...]

Excellent "Motto", Paul! :-)

I always thought it was extremely arrogant of Dell to assume that
'mission critical' interfaces such as the PS/2 keyboard and mouse ports
could be replaced by USB ports and totally done away with.

USB3 has the chance to become equal to the task of 'mission critical'
reliability embodied by such interfaces as serial, parallel, PS/2, SCSI,
IDE and SATA ports given enough time to reach maturity since, unlike its
brain-dead predecessors (USB1 and USB2), it isn't relying on the CPU to
shag itself out handling every tiny detail of the PIO task such cheap 'n'
nasty interfaces heaped upon a poor defenceless CPU as a ruse to sell
more powerful Intel CPUs to the consuming masses.

--
Johnny B Good
Old February 6th 17, 08:48 PM posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.hardware
.[_6_]

On 2/6/2017 12:02 PM, Johnny B Good wrote:
On Tue, 31 Jan 2017 07:51:05 -0500, Paul wrote:

Norm X wrote:
"mike" wrote
[...]

The lower voltage USB is far superior to PS/2 for both keyboard
and mouse control. Perhaps you'd also like to bring back serial
mice, single core processors, the AT PS and 8 bit ISA standard.