Laptop docking station w. ext. monitor?

Old December 23rd 11, 08:51 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Davej

Default Laptop docking station w. ext. monitor?

I'm getting serious again about improving my "hunchback" situation
with some sort of different seating/viewing configuration. Does anyone
here use a laptop with an external monitor? I am wondering if I should
match the resolution of the monitor to the resolution of the laptop
display to be assured that it would work optimally. Thanks.
Old December 23rd 11, 10:57 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
[email protected]

On Dec 23, 2:51*pm, Davej wrote:
I'm getting serious again about improving my "hunchback" situation
with some sort of different seating/viewing configuration. Does anyone
here use a laptop with an external monitor? I am wondering if I should
match the resolution of the monitor to the resolution of the laptop
display to be assured that it would work optimally. Thanks.

Lots of people at work do this. The most common solution by far is a
dock off to the side, with the laptop screen turning off when docked.
Attached to the dock are two monitors, an external keyboard, and an
external mouse. The resolution of the monitors in no way matches the
resolution of the laptop. Obviously, to make this work, you'll need a
dock that support multiple monitors, along with a laptop that supports
docking.
--
// T.Hsu
Old December 23rd 11, 11:45 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Davej

On Dec 23, 3:57*pm, wrote:
On Dec 23, 2:51*pm, Davej wrote:

I'm getting serious again about improving my "hunchback" situation
with some sort of different seating/viewing configuration. Does anyone
here use a laptop with an external monitor? I am wondering if I should
match the resolution of the monitor to the resolution of the laptop
display to be assured that it would work optimally. Thanks.

Lots of people at work do this. The most common solution by far is a
dock off to the side, with the laptop screen turning off when docked.
Attached to the dock are two monitors, an external keyboard, and an
external mouse. The resolution of the monitors in no way matches the
resolution of the laptop. Obviously, to make this work, you'll need a
dock that support multiple monitors, along with a laptop that supports
docking.
--
// T.Hsu

Well, I had thought that the video card in the laptop was probably
pretty limited and currently the properties menu seems to say that the
built in display is using the highest resolution supported. That may
be misleading if the visible menu options are only those supported by
the built-in display. I'm not really seeing the need for a different
keyboard if I can just position the monitor on a swing-arm up about a
foot higher and a few inches closer than the position of the laptop
display. Thanks.