What inkjet printer prints the best text?

Old December 16th 07, 05:20 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware,comp.periphs.printers,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.misc
Nicolaas Hawkins

Default What inkjet printer prints the best text?

On 16 Dec 2007 03:12:23 GMT, Shamus Blue wrote in
:

measekite posted the following
nonsense in :

Be aware that many posters to this group will claim

they
have Canon printer or an Epson printer and some will
claim they have an HP printer. But they do not. They do
not know what kind of printer they really have.

Pinch me; no one can possibly say anything this stupid!

Measekite just did.
But then, that is what he does - to the exclusion of all else.
Stupid does as stupid is.

--
Vrolijk Kerstfeest en een Gelukkig Nieuwjaar,
Nicolaas.

.... That which does not kill me, makes me stranger ... er, stronger.
Old December 16th 07, 05:47 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware,comp.periphs.printers,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.misc
Richard Steinfeld[_2_]

Shamus Blue wrote:
measekite posted the following
nonsense in :

Be aware that many posters to this group will claim

they
have Canon printer or an Epson printer and some will
claim they have an HP printer. But they do not. They do
not know what kind of printer they really have.

Pinch me; no one can possibly say anything this stupid!

Oh yes. Measekite is really George W. Bush.

"Make the pie higher."
Old December 16th 07, 05:47 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware,comp.periphs.printers,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.misc
DanG

"kony" wrote in message
Agreed, with an inkjet, but what do you consider a good
high-volume use paper for inkjet?

Any decent 24# paper that's labeled as "inkjet paper" is a good choice for
everyday printing. Most of the office stores have their own brand. None of
the 20# "multipurpose" or "office paper" types are worth wasting ink on.
I've also had good results on 28# copy paper for duplexing and general
printing.

Old December 16th 07, 07:06 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware,comp.periphs.printers,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.misc
CBFalconer

DanG wrote:
"kony" wrote in message

Agreed, with an inkjet, but what do you consider a good
high-volume use paper for inkjet?

Any decent 24# paper that's labeled as "inkjet paper" is a good
choice for everyday printing. Most of the office stores have their
own brand. None of the 20# "multipurpose" or "office paper" types
are worth wasting ink on. I've also had good results on 28# copy
paper for duplexing and general printing.

However, for speed they lose out to any Laser printer. An inkjet,
printing text, can probably be driven at full speed with a 1200
baud line (in text). Yet printing speed of 4 to 6 pages per minute
are common, for text or graphics, with a Laser printer.

I don't want to print any 100 page manuals on any inkjet.

http://cbfalconer.home.att.net
Try the download section.

Old December 16th 07, 09:34 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware,comp.periphs.printers,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.misc
Tony[_2_]

"B. Schneier" wrote:
Most of my printing involves documents and legal briefs. There is some
color printing for brochures and stuff I find on the Internet. Can
someone recommend a color ink jet that prints laser-like text and is
reasonably fast.

Thanks in advance,

BS

I'm not sure I know which inkjet prints the best text. Generally I am reluctant
to recommend printers in this forum but your needs seem to be well defined.
This is one of the fastest inkjets on the market today
http://tinyurl.com/ytylwp
It produces text that is of high quality, I suggest you see if you can get a
demo page at a local dealer. It is designed for small offices with a moderately
high printing workload.
It uses #88 cartriidges (4 of them) which are high capacity and the extra large
black cartridge is available, it is as fast as most entry level laser printers
and has a cost per page that is cheaper than many lasers. The colour output is
more than good enough for brochures and prints from the internet. It has two
user replacable printheads that have a warranted life based on manufacturing
dates and these usually have warranties that extend beyond the printer warranty.
I have many satisfied customers with this printer.
Several have recommended laser printers, if you need occasional colour prints a
laser is likely to be too expensive to buy and the cost per page for entry
level colour lasers is almost certainly going to be higher than for this
printer.
Good luck
Tony
MS MVP Printing/Imaging

Old December 16th 07, 10:55 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware,comp.periphs.printers,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.misc
kony

On Sun, 16 Dec 2007 02:38:58 GMT, "Martha Adams"
wrote:

Agreed, with an inkjet, but what do you consider a good
high-volume use paper for inkjet?

One of the benefits of a laser is that just about anything
you shove into it (besides very glossy paper the toner just
won't adhere to before it's fused to the paper, or certain
types of plastics that have a melting point too low... more
of a problem with older lasers that ran at higher fuser
temps than today's color lasers that use toner with more
waxy-whatever lower melting point), prints out sharp as a
tack. Basically it means you can buy bulk copy machine
paper which is far less expensive than many other types.

The latest Canon models, IP4500 being the cheapest, have a larger head
and
are capable of speed and quality. They will use either dye or pigment
black
depending your paper settings. (IP3500 has only pigment black and text
quality will suffer using high-res paper settings). The caveat being
that
you need to select appropriate paper, and off-the-shelf 20# paper
isn't it.

The other option is what many people do, use a B&W laser for
text documents and (color) inkjet for pictures.

I think Schneier wants what he says he wants, and it could
be productive to review what he says. I noticed this thread
went over pretty quick to laser printers, without recognizing
a key difference from inkjets, that laser printers, even the
most modern ones, use a fuser step in copy printing and this
fuser has to boost power requirements sharply.

OP never listed low power as an important criteria. Quite
the opposite, the issue was speed and quality. I have to
wonder why power seems important to you, whether you have
dodgy site wiring or are especially green about power.
Eithe would be a valid concern if present, but there are a
lot of factors in a business. Getting printing done faster
on a laser can actually save power by ending the lights and
other site facility usage sooner.

The inkjet
has no fuser thus runs without that peak power need of the
laser printer's fuser. Until he says something else, as far
as I'm concerned he's asking about inkjets *for this reason*
and so laser printers are probably off his track.

Why in the world would you assume this, until it had been
expressly stated that some low power utilization was a
factor? Thus far, that issue has been conspicously missing
from the text.

Maybe
someone could reply to him, asking, well, *could you use* a
laser printer in your application? And if he responds 'Yes,'
then the thread could go into laser printers. But for now I
see no reason at all to be talking about other than inkjets.

You have a reasonable point in that the OP did make a
distinction here, but on the other hand, the world does
indeed function doing the tasks described with laser
printers. Nobody is forced to follow any advice given, but
I can tell you from regular use, that a decent quality color
laser printer can meet the expressed goals.

The primary area where a decent color laser falls short, is
short range viewing of photorealistic output. It is not as
good as a very high quality magazine would be, but for
brochure photos or other things less demanding, any business
would be crazy to use inkjet printers instead. Today an
inkjet is really only best for very low volume photo
printing. It isn't even a low cost issue anymore unless one
is trying to be extremely stingy about it over a short term,
as printing color over time costs more with an inkjet unless
you have a rare specimen of inkjet where you can get bulk
ink reserviours with connected tubingi so the ink supply is
vastly larger than the manufacturer intended it to be.

Sometimes, people get conceptions and just need to hear
alternative points of view from others who have had similar
needs and did not need to do the same as the ideal proposed.
I don't just print personal things with a color laser, I
have mass volume printing and have put about half a million
pages on every laser I've had before they were retired.
Inkjet? It's a small niche really, someone who regularly
prints only a small volume. That could indeed describe many
home users, but IMO, may not describe the OP's needs.
Old December 16th 07, 11:04 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware,comp.periphs.printers,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.misc
kony

On Sat, 15 Dec 2007 21:47:13 -0700, "DanG"
wrote:

"kony" wrote in message
.. .
Agreed, with an inkjet, but what do you consider a good
high-volume use paper for inkjet?

Any decent 24# paper that's labeled as "inkjet paper" is a good choice for
everyday printing. Most of the office stores have their own brand. None of
the 20# "multipurpose" or "office paper" types are worth wasting ink on.
I've also had good results on 28# copy paper for duplexing and general
printing.

Perhaps, but if printing on sub-optimal paper using an
inkjet printer, then the difference in quality starts to
diminish between it and a laser.

With a modern color laser, the toner is semi-glossy, even
black text, unlike old B&W lasers which had matte black
output. Therefore, coated paper is best for photos on a
color laser, so it is also true for inkjets, just a differnt
type of (more costly) coating.

I find that with generic copy machine paper on an inkjet,
the text output is nowhere near as sharp as using same paper
on a laser. Basically I'm suggesting that if the volume of
text is high, there might be a justification for more than
one printer if the color output also needs to have the very
highest photo realistic output.

On the other handn when viewed at a distance, a color laser
does have fairly good output, certainly higher than what one
would find in the typical magazine.

Old December 16th 07, 02:43 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware,comp.periphs.printers,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.misc
[email protected]

Jan Alter wrote:
HP printers have a good reputation for giving high quality text. Color
printing should be good as well. If ink cost is not the critical factor and
the very best photo printing of that import then you may be very satisfied.

I bought a HP OJ L7580 few weeks ago,
Why it always printed 35 pages then stop even I had send more than 35
pages to the printer.

Old December 16th 07, 03:07 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware,comp.periphs.printers,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.misc
Jim Ford

mouse****e wrote:

When you unpack a printer of a certain brand it comes with ink carts. Thats
when you have that particular brand. Many here put who knows what crap in their
printer so they no longer have the printer they purchased.

I thought mouse****e had hit rock bottom with his inane drivel in recent
postings, but I see he's starting to mine!

Wipe the drool off his chin and put his straight jacket back on, someone!

Jim Ford
Old December 16th 07, 04:15 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware,comp.periphs.printers,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.misc
measekite

Taliesyn wrote:
Martha Adams wrote:

"kony" wrote in message

On Sat, 15 Dec 2007 14:42:07 -0700, "DanG"
wrote:

"B. Schneier" wrote in message

Most of my printing involves documents and legal briefs. There is
some
color printing for brochures and stuff I find on the Internet. Can
someone
recommend a color ink jet that prints laser-like text and is
reasonably
fast.

Thanks in advance,

BS

"Fast" and "quality" do not always quarter in comfort.

Almost any inkjet is capable of excellent quality text with the
right paper,
and almost any high-quality printer is capable of producing crappy
text with
the wrong paper.

[...]

fuser has to boost power requirements sharply. The inkjet
has no fuser thus runs without that peak power need of the
laser printer's fuser. Until he says something else, as far
as I'm concerned he's asking about inkjets *for this reason*
and so laser printers are probably off his track. Maybe
someone could reply to him, asking, well, *could you use* a
laser printer in your application? And if he responds 'Yes,'
then the thread could go into laser printers. But for now I
see no reason at all to be talking about other than inkjets.

Cheers -- Martha Adams [comp.periphs.printers 2007 Dec 15]

I find Canon printers give near laser results when used in conjunction
with good quality paper. Not coated paper, just good quality paper.

-Taliesyn

Totally False. I own and like my Canon but it is far from Laser quality
results. As for text quality is does not quite match my HP. That said
it still is very good.