Are there color printers nowadays that only use black when printing black?

Old July 20th 05, 05:08 AM

Default Are there color printers nowadays that only use black when printing black?

The Epson 830 uses both black and colored ink to print make black
printouts even if I click on the "black ink only" option. Are all
color printers nowadays do this or is it just this one?

Old July 20th 05, 05:33 AM
Burt

wrote in message
ps.com...
The Epson 830 uses both black and colored ink to print make black
printouts even if I click on the "black ink only" option. Are all
color printers nowadays do this or is it just this one?

Although I am not certain that printing in black uses absolutely no color
inks, I believe that all of the inkjet printers do cleaning routines that
draw ink from all the cartridges (and all compartments of multicolored
cartridges). Thus, it appears that printing routinely with black only
selected uses considerable amounts of colored ink as well.

Old July 20th 05, 06:11 AM
Bob Headrick

wrote in message
ps.com...
The Epson 830 uses both black and colored ink to print make black
printouts even if I click on the "black ink only" option. Are all
color printers nowadays do this or is it just this one?

It may depend on the paper type and print mode selected. For example, most
recent DeskJet printers will use colored ink to make black on glossy photo
paper, and some may under black text when printing in "Best" mode on plain
paper. Most of the recent DeskJet's will operate in "reserve" mode, with only
the black cartridge installed.

Most (all?) printers will use some color ink in servicing the unused cartridge
(black or color) when the others are being used; otherwise the unused cartridge
waving around would dry out. Generally printers with fixed printheads have
more servicing overhead.

Regards,

Old July 20th 05, 06:47 AM
Burt

I should add that printers with cyan, magenta, and yellow carts but no black
cart create black with a mixture of the three colored inks when printing
colored images that include black areas. I haven't used the Epson stylus
photo 830 printer, but I read that it is a six color printer and would
therefore use primarily black ink when printing in "black ink only" mode.
Still uses all colors in the cleaning cycle as noted by Bob Headrick also.
"Burt" wrote in message
m...

ps.com...

Old July 20th 05, 01:57 PM
SLLD

I went trru this a while back and all epson printers use some color ink to
keep from drying out they say.
I think it could be fixed but epson sells ink now, not printers.
My epson cx6600 will not print a dot in black even though the black cart is
full and the cyan cart is out.
It could be programed to do it, but with less ink sales..

ps.com...

Old July 20th 05, 07:38 PM
microland

epson 830 is kind of old, the newer printers from epson are using
indivisual cartridge.

another way to convert your 830, or 1280 printer to
indivisual-cartridge printer is to utilize separted cartridge CIS from
InkRepublic.com

http://www.inkrepublic.com/ProductDetail.asp?item=1280

like 1280, it has only 2 cartridges (6 colors), but InkRepublic's
system has 6 cartridges where divides one big color cartridges to 5.
This makes more sense for B&W people.

check with their reusability for more information, I believe your 830
is covered by 1280's system:
http://www.inkrepublic.com/Compatibility.asp

Old July 20th 05, 11:59 PM
Frank

measekite wrote:

SPAMMER

microland wrote:

epson 830 is kind of old, the newer printers from epson are using
indivisual cartridge.

another way to convert your 830, or 1280 printer to
indivisual-cartridge printer is to utilize separted cartridge CIS from
InkRepublic.com

http://www.inkrepublic.com/ProductDetail.asp?item=1280

like 1280, it has only 2 cartridges (6 colors), but InkRepublic's
system has 6 cartridges where divides one big color cartridges to 5.
This makes more sense for B&W people.

check with their reusability for more information, I believe your 830
is covered by 1280's system:
http://www.inkrepublic.com/Compatibility.asp

JACKASS!
Frank

Old July 21st 05, 12:39 PM
Arthur Entlich

You are beginning to sound like a commercial advertiser or agent. I
hope that is not the case, as Ink Republic has asked me to report anyone
doing that to them. It makes the members of this list angry and is not
conducive to good business for Ink Republic.

Art