"CS" or "Master and Slave"?

Old November 26th 04, 06:52 PM
kony

On Thu, 25 Nov 2004 12:52:16 -0500, MCheu
wrote:

Smaller OEMs and hobbyists prefer to use the Master/Slave settings
because drives usually ship as being set to Master, and this way
there's no ambiguity when you need to trouble shoot the system. You
know exactly which drive has taken what position.

?

I prefer cable select and almost all drives shipping now
ship jumpered to cable select.

Old November 28th 04, 03:37 PM
Trent©

On Thu, 25 Nov 2004 14:44:13 GMT, "John" wrote:

My eMachine 1860, running WXP, has been flakey on boot for a year now; once
it is on it is fine, but it hands on boot about 20% of the time.
Monday it simply wouldn't come up, hanging on "IOM.SYS" everytime.

I took it in to the shop. They found a cable was nicked and the jumpers
were wrong. They set them to Master and Slave. Now all is well.
However, I checked the manual and it says to set the jumpers to "CS". The
shop says the manual is wrong.
Does it matter as long as the machine is working? Presumably the nicked
cable was the problem the whole time.
Thanks.

The manual isn't exactly 'wrong'. Your shop just had another way of
doing things...and I still do it the way your shop does it. I always
change the jumpers to single drive...or master...or slave.

When you have the drive set to CS, the computer needs to read the
drives each time it boots...and then make a decision as how to handle
them.

With master, etc. settings, you already tell the computer which is
which...and that can speed the boot process. You can speed the
process further by changing the BIOS setting from 'auto' to the actual
parameters needed for that drive.

And, as was noted by someone here, you need a special cable when using
CS.

Have a nice one...

Trent

Old November 29th 04, 07:25 AM
DevilsPGD

In message Trent©
wrote:

The manual isn't exactly 'wrong'. Your shop just had another way of
doing things...and I still do it the way your shop does it. I always
change the jumpers to single drive...or master...or slave.

When you have the drive set to CS, the computer needs to read the
drives each time it boots...and then make a decision as how to handle
them.

That isn't entirely true -- The CS pin simply lets the drive jumper
itself correctly based on whether or not the PIN is set -- The company
doesn't make any more decisions in CS mode then in Master/Slave mode.

With master, etc. settings, you already tell the computer which is
which...and that can speed the boot process. You can speed the
process further by changing the BIOS setting from 'auto' to the actual
parameters needed for that drive.

And, as was noted by someone here, you need a special cable when using
CS.

Virtually all 80-wire cables support CS.

--
Nobody ever lost money underestimating the human intelligence.
-- P.T.Barnum
Old November 29th 04, 03:23 PM
Trent©

On Sun, 28 Nov 2004 23:25:26 -0700, DevilsPGD
wrote:

In message Trent©
wrote:

The manual isn't exactly 'wrong'. Your shop just had another way of
doing things...and I still do it the way your shop does it. I always
change the jumpers to single drive...or master...or slave.

When you have the drive set to CS, the computer needs to read the
drives each time it boots...and then make a decision as how to handle
them.

That isn't entirely true --

Sure it is.

The CS pin simply lets the drive jumper
itself correctly based on whether or not the PIN is set -- The company
doesn't make any more decisions in CS mode then in Master/Slave mode.

Sure it does.

With master, etc. settings, you already tell the computer which is
which...and that can speed the boot process. You can speed the
process further by changing the BIOS setting from 'auto' to the actual
parameters needed for that drive.

And, as was noted by someone here, you need a special cable when using
CS.

Virtually all 80-wire cables support CS.

An 80-wire cable is a special cable on MANY machines yet.

Have a nice one...

Trent

Old seagate 6 meg HD Master or slave ?? Jan General 3 October 20th 04 01:10 AM
CDRW not being detected as pri or sec slave... Fredericks General 2 April 18th 04 10:01 PM
Slave or Master RanMan General 6 December 21st 03 12:32 AM
DVD / CDRW drive master slave situation - General 3 November 24th 03 11:23 PM
set CDROM as master not slave? kony General 1 June 28th 03 07:40 AM