Dell GX 520 Question

Old May 21st 17, 07:04 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
[email protected]

Default Dell GX 520 Question

On Sun, 21 May 2017 12:51:26 -0400, Paul

On Sun, 21 May 2017 04:54:59 -0400, wrote:

On Sat, 20 May 2017 21:09:39 -0400, Paul
wrote:

Out of curiosity, does the networking on your good computer work ?
Is it plugged into the router ?

Paul
Quick answer to this q - yes. I actually have three computers that
work fine with same router - a W10PC (cat5), a W7/W10PC (cat5), and a
W7 laptop (wireless). Also a tablet.
JW

I decided to re-try installing W7 on this GX520 PC, with the PCI
wireless card already in place - guess what? W7 not only installed
(which it did before), but the installation automatically resolved the
network issue. I am now connected.

Now my only unesolved driver is the audio driver. The driver I had
downloaded from DELL will not work - maybe because it is not for W7.
I wonder where I might find same?
Thanks for your help.
JW

http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/...-gx520/drivers

r97809 is the one I downloaded (from that site) and installed. It did
not work.
Thanks
JW
JW

Analog Devices 198x Integrated Audio Driver --- Uh Oh!!!

I was hoping for a RealTek... As that would have
had a driver.

AD only provides drivers for a fairly short time.
They also don't have driver downloads from their web site.
They make electronics for engineers to use. SoundMax was
a "lark" for them, not something they took as seriously
as other companies.

So the deal is:

Say company X uses 198x chip in 2010.
Then you'll see valid drivers for the year
2010 and 2011 on the company X website.

Now, if company Y makes a motherboard with the
198x chip, AD will provide them support
for a couple years. Maybe that company,
their web site has valid drivers in the
year 2012 and 2013.

By combining the web sites of three or
four companies, you can kinda piece together
a selection of drivers. Until no motherboard
maker uses that chip any more.

See how crappy that is ?

When fighting with that, don't forget to ask
"Windows Update" for the driver. Consider every
possibility on sources. Go to Device Manager and
try to use the options there, and see what it can
dig up.

AD are not RealTek. The audio in this PC is Analog Devices,
so I have some first hand experience. I think the
copy of Win8.1 I have on this PC, has working audio,
and I didn't have to fight with it. It might have
been an in-box driver.

As an example, back in the day, I stopped using the
Asus version of the driver, and grabbed a Dell driver :-)
If you're gonna do it the hard way, you have to
"shop around". Maybe HP has one. And so on.

Paul

Old May 21st 17, 07:29 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
John McGaw

wrote:

[...]

If worse comes to worst, there is always a way to get some sort of audio
from almost any system. I had to (no, make that wanted to) get audio out of
my Windows Home Server machine. The OS there is based on Server 2003 which
has its roots in XP. There was no driver to be found which would work with
the newer MB it was installed on. After more than a bit of downloads and
tests I finally did what I should have done in the first place and ordered
a USB audio dongle from Amazon - $7.85 and all was well and no additional
driver needed. Sound quality is 'adequate' for my limited needs on that
machine which is basically listening to streaming radio when I happen to be
in the back room in the basement. There are cheaper USB dongles available
but this one just caught my eye.
Old May 21st 17, 07:30 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Paul[_28_]

wrote:

r97809 is the one I downloaded (from that site) and installed. It did
not work.
Thanks
JW

http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/...driverId=66TNR

https://downloads.dell.com/audio/R228257.exe

Yours is probably a 1981. Whereas that driver is not
really 198x, it's for 1984.

%HdAudioFunctionDriver.ADICodec.DeviceDesc3% = HD_1984, HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_11D4&DEV_1984&subsys_10280220
%HdAudioFunctionDriver.ADICodec.DeviceDesc4% = HD_1984A, HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_11D4&DEV_194A&subsys_1028026D

Here is another. This one is 1983 and 1984. Still no 1981.

http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/...driverid=8R56M

https://downloads.dell.com/FOLDER966...01_R297329.exe

%HdAudioFunctionDriver.ADICodec.DeviceDesc1% = HD_1983, HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_11D4&DEV_1983&subsys_102801C4
%HdAudioFunctionDriver.ADICodec.DeviceDesc3% = HD_1984, HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_11D4&DEV_1984&subsys_10280211
%HdAudioFunctionDriver.ADICodec.DeviceDesc4% = HD_1984A, HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_11D4&DEV_194A&subsys_1028026D

That's why this is roulette.

If I use Device Manager and properties here, mine is

HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_11D4&DEV_198B

and not covered by either of those.

So while the driver proudly proclaims "198x", the range of X
just isn't large enough for real people to use.

Lenovo has one for a 1986 for Win7.

https://download.lenovo.com/pccbbs/t...4aud02us17.exe

*******

And you can see the folks here, are going through
all the same gyrations. This is what Analog Device owners do
with their spare time... :-( I could shovel through that
crap for the next week, trying to cobble together
a solution.

http://en.community.dell.com/support...513/t/19298775

It would really help to know the VEN and DEV, before
spending more roulette wheel time on it.

Paul

ATI And Dell Question Tarkus Ati Videocards 1 April 16th 07 01:23 AM
Dell Inspiron 1150 XR(Dell) Re-install Question Ohme Dell Computers 2 May 27th 06 08:22 PM
Dell PS question pikeman General 8 November 12th 04 11:07 PM
Old Dell Question Busman Dell Computers 12 November 8th 04 12:17 PM
Not really a Dell question, but...... wpj Dell Computers 5 October 18th 03 07:43 PM