power supply connector replacement on Dell Inspiron 1545 powersupply?

Old May 12th 17, 05:12 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
R2D4

Default power supply connector replacement on Dell Inspiron 1545 powersupply?

Can anyone tell me what size or type of power connector is on the end of
the power supply for the Dell 1545? Mine has become intermittent and I
can actually see some of the copper shielding making its way outside the
insulation. I don't need the entire power supply replaced-- I'd just
like to cut off and replace the end connector if I can get the specs.
Thanks in advance.
Old May 12th 17, 06:46 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Paul[_28_]

R2D4 wrote:
Can anyone tell me what size or type of power connector is on the end of
the power supply for the Dell 1545? Mine has become intermittent and I
can actually see some of the copper shielding making its way outside the
insulation. I don't need the entire power supply replaced-- I'd just
like to cut off and replace the end connector if I can get the specs.
Thanks in advance.

http://www.formfactors.org/developer...public_br2.pdf

Connector: MOLEX* housing: 24 Pin Molex Mini-Fit Jr. PN# 39-01-2240 or equivalent

Contact: Molex 44476-1112 (HCS) or equivalent

[ Mating motherboard connector is Molex 44206-0007 or equivalent) ]

If you scroll down here, you can see "Associated Products".

http://canada.newark.com/molex/39-01...anada%2Fsearch

Unfortunately, some of those are male pins and some are female.
One part would be a motherboard-side solution, the other a
cable-side solution. There are solder-tail and crimp. For
example, when making ATX 24 pin extension cables, those are
crimp style on either end. The motherboard application is
solder-tail.

If you check out the individual pages, a PDF datasheet should
be available, but it isn't as good as the whole 20-30 page
Mini-Fit Jr. section of a catalog.

I have a sample here in my load-box parts of some pins, but
it's the wrong one for what you want to do. Mine has to plug
into the power supply end, which makes it a "motherboard-side"
connector. Both the male and female have square pins, only
one is smaller than the other, in square dimension.

The package I got, was a package of 15 pins. You would need
two packages to re-do a 24 pin application. You also need
a means to do crimping. In my application, I mangled them
with pliers and some solder, which is *not* how you do it.
I built a load box, to put a defined load on an ATX supply,
so technique does not matter. My load box is a "light load",
100W or less kinda thing. It's not a stress test, merely a
means to put a light stable load on the PSU for a couple
hours, while I probe with a voltmeter for "surprises".

When you re-terminate them, be careful of wire length. You
would be surprised how much of a difference it makes,
if you make one wire too short. They behave badly if you cannot
trim them to the right length when assembling.

You can buy male to female extension cables for ATX. Snipping
one end off, does give a cable. But then you need to solder
the end of the cable, inside the PSU. And I definitely do
not recommend that. You might need a 200W iron, half an
inch in diameter, to get enough heat to work on the
"blob" inside the PSU. So crimping on new pins, and
sliding them back into the existing shell, is the right
way to do it. (The pins have "ears" that grip the shell,
so the wire cannot back out.) A crimping tool would do a
nice job (one crimp grips the bare copper, the other larger
diameter crimpt grabs the insulation to maintain wire security).
Doing it with pliers, you better have spares, and not get upset
easily :-)

Yeah, it's a project...

Paul
Old May 12th 17, 07:10 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
.[_6_]

On 5/12/2017 11:12 AM, R2D4 wrote:
Can anyone tell me what size or type of power connector is on the end of
the power supply for the Dell 1545? Mine has become intermittent and I
can actually see some of the copper shielding making its way outside the
insulation. I don't need the entire power supply replaced-- I'd just
like to cut off and replace the end connector if I can get the specs.
Thanks in advance.

Dell 1545 power supply connector size
If it's Round, Tip Diameter ~ 0.20 x 0.29 - 0.31 inch / 5 x 7.4 - 7.9mm
(I.D. x O.D.)
If it's Octogonal, Connector Size ~ 7.4x5.1/12mm (Octogonal Barrel, w/
Center Pin)
Old May 12th 17, 08:09 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
John McGaw

On 5/12/2017 12:12 PM, R2D4 wrote:
Can anyone tell me what size or type of power connector is on the end of
the power supply for the Dell 1545? Mine has become intermittent and I can
actually see some of the copper shielding making its way outside the
insulation. I don't need the entire power supply replaced-- I'd just like
to cut off and replace the end connector if I can get the specs. Thanks in
advance.

Copper shielding? Huh? If there is any shielding there it is different from
every PC power supply I've seen. Far more likely that the little latching
ears on a pin (or pins) aren't holding fast in the plastic housing and are
working its (or their) way out. Take a close look at how the connector is
put together and try pushing the problematic one(s) back into place (after
disconnecting it from the MB, of course). While you are at it, look
carefully for any burned or corroded spots on the contact surfaces since a
bad connection is capable of making itself even worse over time.

I expect that you don't have access to the proper pin removal tool or I'd
suggest that you use it to remove, check, and re-insert as needed. A piece
of brass hobby tubing will do the job of removing pins if you can find one
the right size.
Old May 12th 17, 11:00 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Paul[_28_]

R2D4 wrote:
Can anyone tell me what size or type of power connector is on the end of
the power supply for the Dell 1545? Mine has become intermittent and I
can actually see some of the copper shielding making its way outside the
insulation. I don't need the entire power supply replaced-- I'd just
like to cut off and replace the end connector if I can get the specs.
Thanks in advance.

So it's a laptop then ? *Inspiron* 1545 ?

The replacement adapter here, looks hexagonal for some reason.
There are "pseudo-standard" round barrel two-conductor connectors
on a lot of devices. Someone didn't want that one to
rotate.

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B005FH3X1Q?psc=1

If that's the connector on your 19V 3.x amp adapter,
you won't get a replacement at RadioShack. They tend
to have the round barrel type, in 15 different sizes.

They make replacement (round) barrel connectors with screw or
soldertail termination, inside a housing that unscrews.

The real MCCoy would likely be molded. The closest you could
get to molded, is to buy a barrel extension cord, cut off
one end, and fashion splices on tne wire end. That would
require soldering and Polyolefin heatshrink tubing, to
provide insulation. I no longer use electrical
tape for that sort of thing (it comes off too easy). You can
put one heatshrink around each conductor (to cover your new
solder joint), then a second, larger heatshrink around the whole wound
area, to cover it. The stress relief isn't perfect (the
wounded part is too stiff) but you do get to use the
adapter for a few more years.

*******

When the connector inside a laptop fails, some have a user
replaceable PCB subassembly that allows easy repair.

In the "old way", the connector is soldered to the motherboard
(the flat board with all the components on it). Repair then
requires good soldering skills (to fasten the connector frame
to the PCB and provide a strong anchor). If the motherboard
is cracked, you really don't have a lot of good options
(as an attempted repair will likely just crack again). The
beauty of the replaceable assembly, is it protects the
more expensive motherboard from damage. However, you still
have to track down the spare part, which may not be as easy
as it sounds. When they do stupid stuff like that, they should
really throw a spare one of those, in the packing crate.

Paul