Switch display?

Old April 11th 17, 09:48 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Kenny

Default Switch display?

Been given a Samsung N150 netbook with broken screen and HDD removed.
Attached HDD from Win 10 laptop, it appears to boot OK and I can just about
see the clock in System Tray. Attached monitor to VGA port then using
WINKEY+P and arrow keys/Enter tried to switch to external monitor but no
luck. Netbook originally had Win 7 so tried Fn+F4 in vain. Also tried
removing screen connector plug thinking it might detect no display and
switch to external monitor.
Not worth buying new screen for, question is is there any other way to get
the display to drive external monitor?

Kenny Cargill

Old April 11th 17, 10:02 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
John McGaw

On 4/11/2017 4:48 PM, Kenny wrote:
Samsung N150

According to Mr. Google, FN+F4 is supposed to do the trick. Of course this
depends on the keyboard sill working properly. Maybe it bit the big one
when the screen got dinged...
Old April 11th 17, 10:43 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
VanguardLH[_2_]

Kenny wrote:

Samsung N150 netbook

Do an online search for the manual, like:

https://www.google.com/search?q=Sams... etbook+manual

That found:

http://www.samsung.com/uk/support/model/NP-N150-JA01UK
(which you could also find by just going to Samsung's web site)

You can get an online copy of the manual from there. Page 74 says how
to use the monitor port. It says to use the Fn+F4 key combo.

Guess something else is broken on that abused netbook. Hope you got it
free and that you don't really need it.

Sometimes such features are actually software driven. That is, you must
install the maker's bundleware to have all the features. Obviously the
drivers and software on the HDD from your Windows 10 laptop is not the
image you need on the abused netbook. The chipset drivers themselves
would be incorrect unless your "laptop" was the same brand and model as
your "netbook" - but since you used different terms then it is unlikely
they match on brand and model. The video driver for onboard video won't
match the onboard video between your mismatched laptop and netbook.

You will need to do a fresh installation of a valid license for Windows
7 (or whatever Windows version you want to use on the netbook) and then
install Samsung's software in that new Windows installation.
Old April 11th 17, 10:53 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Paul[_28_]

Kenny wrote:
Been given a Samsung N150 netbook with broken screen and HDD removed.
Attached HDD from Win 10 laptop, it appears to boot OK and I can just
about see the clock in System Tray. Attached monitor to VGA port then
using WINKEY+P and arrow keys/Enter tried to switch to external monitor
but no luck. Netbook originally had Win 7 so tried Fn+F4 in vain. Also
tried removing screen connector plug thinking it might detect no display
and switch to external monitor.
Not worth buying new screen for, question is is there any other way to
get the display to drive external monitor?

Kenny Cargill

You can get a new panel for $36.

https://www.laptopscreen.com/English.../NP-N150~PLUS/

Generally, the internal cable to the panel is unidirectional.
The conductor count is kept to a minimum, so the cable won't
be stiff. And I've not heard any symptoms that suggest they
have impedance detection on that interface either. There should
be no EDID, so the motherboard cannot sense the resolution
options the panel might support. It lacks that automation.
Instead, the BIOS is hardwired with a fixed resolution choice
assumed for the panel.

Check Ebay, and maybe you can get an entire machine, for the
same price as shopping for a panel.

Paul
Old April 12th 17, 03:05 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Mike S

On 4/11/2017 1:48 PM, Kenny wrote:
Been given a Samsung N150 netbook with broken screen and HDD removed.
Attached HDD from Win 10 laptop, it appears to boot OK and I can just
about see the clock in System Tray. Attached monitor to VGA port then
using WINKEY+P and arrow keys/Enter tried to switch to external monitor
but no luck. Netbook originally had Win 7 so tried Fn+F4 in vain. Also
tried removing screen connector plug thinking it might detect no display
and switch to external monitor.
Not worth buying new screen for, question is is there any other way to
get the display to drive external monitor?

Kenny Cargill

I think that could happen if the OS isn't fully booting, can you see
anything on the broken display that assures you that Windows isn't
interrupted loading in any way? If not did you try pressing Esc several
times?

This post mentions an applet that can override Fn + F5

The Fn + F5 button doesn't work because it is being over-ridden by a
system tray applet in the bottom right-hand corner. This applet looks
like a blue square with a gray border, and is called "Intel extreme
graphics 2 for mobile". It replaces the Fn + F5 hardware approach with a
software approach.

Using this applet, I can direct the laptop's output to my TV. The only
thing is that I first have to set my laptop's primary screen to a
resolution that my TV accepts if I want to have the same display on both
my laptop and TV.

This applet has lots of options for setting up both my primary and
secondary displays, but up until now I've been ignoring it and didn't
realize what it does.

http://ccm.net/forum/affich-84730-ex...top-won-t-work

Old April 12th 17, 03:08 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Mike S

On 4/11/2017 2:53 PM, Paul wrote:
Kenny wrote:
[...]

This post mentions an applet that can override Fn + F4

Old April 12th 17, 04:04 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
VanguardLH[_2_]

Paul wrote:

Kenny wrote:
[...]

Depends on what the OP meant by "broken". If that meant the screen was
physically damaged then, yes, just the screen is needed. If instead the
problem is with lack of backlighting then you have to buy the
backlamps. As they go bad, they stress more the inverter which also
goes bad, so you put in new backlamps but the inverter sucks and you end
up with a dim display. So when replacing the backlamps, also replace
the inverter. Because removing the screen often requires destroying the
butyl tape used to keep wiring in place and replacing backlamps require
soldering, some backlamp+inverter kits will include a solder roll (of
the correct mix w/flux), butyl tape, and other components that get
destroyed during disassembly.

In that $36 cost for just the screen, remember to add in the sales tax
and shipping cost. If it is not physical screen damage but backlamp
and/or inverter problems, those can be more expensive. When I looked at
replacing the CCFLs and inverter for my LCD monitor (with the install
kit), the cost was two-thirds that of buying a new monitor the same size
and specs. If I were a hobbyist and had other monitors, I probably
would've gone that way. Since it was, at the time, my only monitor, me
fixing it didn't guarantee the job was correct and I could end up with
an even more expensive dead monitor. I just bought a new one but then
that was just for a monitor, not a screen in a netbook/laptop. From
what I recall, taking apart the monitor was easier than disassembling a
netbook/laptop case to get at the screen panel.

There is something suspicious about the site you mentioned. They say
they are selling the "LCD screen only". That could be just the screen
panel (the matrix layer) and not the diffuser panel. It does not say
they are selling a screen assembly: the whole shebang already assembled
as a component to put in all at once. I made sure that I was going to
get a screen assembly: matrix panel, diffuser panel, already aligned,
with the metal frame keeping it all together. With a screen assembly,
the replacement job is doable by a hobbyist. With just the screen
matrix panel alone, I doubt you could disassembly the old assembly
without damaging it making reassembly something of a frankenjob. Just
because they show a picture of an assembled unit even with the inverter
board attached doesn't mean that is what they are actually selling.

That seller also does not note if their screen panel (whether just the
panel or the whole assembly) is new, used, or refurbished. Lot of
buyers get damaged monitors, laptops, and netbooks for cheap to resell
them off as parts. Car owners sometimes do the same thing by parting
out their vehicle instead of get the dismal pay out from a salvager.
Old April 12th 17, 06:05 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Paul[_28_]

VanguardLH wrote:
Paul wrote:

Kenny wrote:
[...]

The panel in the example, is brand new.

Another thing of note - it is LED illuminated.
No inverters and CCFLs to worry about.

Paul
Old April 13th 17, 12:01 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Kenny

"Paul" wrote in message news
VanguardLH wrote:
Paul wrote:

Kenny wrote:
[...]

Thanks for the replies. The screen is visibly damaged with just a small bit
bottom right visible so I can just about see the clock but nothing else so I
don't know if it has fully booted, I know it's set to boot straight to Win
10 on the laptop the HDD came from.

Old April 13th 17, 04:37 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Paul[_28_]

Kenny wrote:

Thanks for the replies. The screen is visibly damaged with just a small
bit bottom right visible so I can just about see the clock but nothing
else so I don't know if it has fully booted, I know it's set to boot
straight to Win 10 on the laptop the HDD came from.

At least one illustration I've seen, these panels are
edge lit. The LEDs are on an edge (which is what accounts
for some light bleed), and some sort of plastic assembly
spreads the light to the whole panel.

If you can see the clock, then it might well have
booted. What you can't see then, is if a modal dialog
is present. It's possible something still might get
your keyboard input.

One thing you could try, is to connect a USB keyboard
to a USB port, and enter the presumed alt-Fn thing to
switch to VGA. Just in case the device keyboard isn't
connected right now.

Paul