Used motherboard?

Old February 2nd 17, 01:05 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Kenny

Default Used motherboard?

HP DM1-4004SA freezing etc. then eventually wouldn't boot at all. Signs of
CPU overheating or m/b failure, CPU fan clean and running. Seems to be a
common fault with these!
Not much in the way of this m/b on Ebay but seems to be plenty here with
widely varying prices:
https://www.aliexpress.com/wholesale...ext=659511-001
I've never bought from these Chinese sites before, can I have faith in their
assurance that the item is working and their warranty is genuine? Also would
I be liable for import duty or similar?

Kenny Cargill

Old February 2nd 17, 04:10 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
John McGaw

On 2/2/2017 7:05 AM, Kenny wrote:
HP DM1-4004SA

I've had no problems with import duties with small items that have come in
from China (or the UK or Germany or New Zealand or Hong Kong for that
matter) but YMMV. As for 'can I have faith', well, you can have all the
faith you can muster but that means little to the final outcome. You gets
what you gets and at some point there is little to nothing you can do, at
least while staying on the plus side economically. Have you considered a
new computer? They're doing wonderful things today and the prices have
never been better.
Old February 2nd 17, 08:36 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Paul[_28_]

Kenny wrote:
HP DM1-4004SA freezing etc. then eventually wouldn't boot at all. Signs
of CPU overheating or m/b failure, CPU fan clean and running. Seems to
be a common fault with these!
Not much in the way of this m/b on Ebay but seems to be plenty here with
widely varying prices:
https://www.aliexpress.com/wholesale...ext=659511-001

I've never bought from these Chinese sites before, can I have faith in
their assurance that the item is working and their warranty is genuine?
Also would I be liable for import duty or similar?

Kenny Cargill

Ooo, this looks easy. Only 38 steps.

http://www.insidemylaptop.com/how-to...on-dm1-laptop/

The processor (E-450) could be soldered down,
and not in a ZIF socket. Makes no difference.

http://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/k5EAAO...41/s-l1600.jpg

Someone wants $15 for it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Genuine-HP-D...-/282210643642

I think I'd want to study the problem some more,
before committing to a repair like that. I'd want
to boot an alternate OS (a Linux LiveCD) and see
if it works any better. If that's an eMMC drive in
the socket, I might want to swap in a spare
and retest. Maybe a defect in the eMMC flash is
making it "slow".

To boot a Linux LiveCD, you can transfer it to a
USB flash stick. Hybrid images, all you have to do
is a sector-by-sector transfer. No need for unetbootin.

Paul
Old February 2nd 17, 11:56 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
VanguardLH[_2_]

Kenny on 2017/02/02 wrote:

HP DM1-4004SA freezing etc. then eventually wouldn't boot at all. Signs of
CPU overheating or m/b failure, CPU fan clean and running. Seems to be a
common fault with these!
Not much in the way of this m/b on Ebay but seems to be plenty here with
widely varying prices:
https://www.aliexpress.com/wholesale...ext=659511-001
I've never bought from these Chinese sites before, can I have faith in their
assurance that the item is working and their warranty is genuine? Also would
I be liable for import duty or similar?

When ordering direct from a China-based supplier, be aware that the item
could get hung up in customs for a long time. I order some connectors
(one connector type in a 5-pack) that took 45 days to arrive. 40 of
those days were stuck in China in customs, the last 5 were for USPS to
deliver to me once the item got released. If the China supplier has a
warehouse or distribution center outside of China, delivery will be a
lot quicker if the item is in stock at that outside-China distribution
center. Items from China that came from distribution centers in
California and Texas arrived within a week from when they got shipped
from those points. I have not purchased anything from AliExpress to
know their average shipping time, from where they ship, or even their
customer service and honoring any warranty or wrong/bad part order.

http://sale.aliexpress.com/buyerprotection-en.htm

That claims you get a refund if your order does not arrive within their
promised delivery time. Until you order, how would you know what is
their promised delivery time? From that page, it become evident that
you are not necessarily buying from AliExpress. You could be buying
from some other seller using AliExpress as their storefront. This is
the same as when buying from Amazon: some items are shipped by Amazon
but a great many are from 3rd party vendors selling *through* Amazon.
With a random sampling of 3 of the mobos in the search URL that you
gave, the actual sellers were Laptop Sky Store, Shenzhen Dongchen laptop
accessories Store, Shop2787199 Store. Those all happened to list
themselves as "China (mainland)" vendors. Obviously AliExpress cannot
determine what is the shipping time because AliExpress is not the actual
vendor of the product. Someone else is selling through AliExpress.
Think of AliExpress as a China equivalent of eBay or even of Amazon: you
are buying from vendors using those sites to sell their wares. Well,
why not buy through eBay since you are buying from someone selling
through there (just like you would with AliExpress)?

For a search on "HP DM1-4004SA motherboard", I found other vendors than
just AliExpress, like laptopinventory.com (Nevada, USA) whose price is
10 times (http://tinyurl.com/j7qwbg8) that of those at AliExpress.
Also, you gave a search URL for AliExpress. Even the mobo at Amazon
(http://tinyurl.com/jczft6k) was 4 times the price of AliExpress - and
that was for a used product (due to the ad mentioning "tested and
working"). The search URL at AliExpress that you gave did NOT find a
DM1-4004 model. Also, the hits from your search URL are for used items
as they mention "tested and working", too. I tried searching on
"DM1-4004" and got zero hits there. Do all the DM1-400x models use the
DM1-4000 mobo?