P4P800 sound, and FS2004 flight sim

Old June 7th 04, 08:24 AM

Default P4P800 sound, and FS2004 flight sim

Hello,

To anyone using an Asus P4P800 (or 800-deluxe) with built-in sound
chip, and Microsoft's FS2004 Century of Flight flight-sim.

I run FS9 with 3GHz CPU, 1GB of pc3500 duel-channel ram, Nvidia
FX5900/128mb and the P4P800 built-in sound chip, with the latest (old)
SoundMAX 36.30 drivers. No overclocking anything now, Bios is almost
all stock settings.

There are 2 problems I see and hear, only with FS2004 (many other
games work just fine with this sound-chip). I'm usually flying
full-screen mode at 1024x768 resolution and 4x-FSSA.

1. When airport ATC messages are spoken while on the ground, taxing,
turning on the ground, etc., I see a very slight video-delay (stutter)
before the ATC voice-sound is heard. I guess it lasts only 1/4 of a
second, but gets pretty annoying, because there is a lot of ATC
chatter. It's as if the sound-chip has to 'cut-in' front of the video,
and it causes a small video-stutter/halt.

2. Other strange problem, when first loading and flying a plane in
FS2004, if flying near/through dense clouds (which may cause video
frame rate to drop a little, or a lot), the P4P800 sound-chip will
start to make noisy static sound, I guess best described as
'sound-stutter'. It has something to do with mild/heavy frame-rate
loss but have no idea why.
The distortion sounds like the following line below, where the word
'skip' is, the sound blanks-out, about as fast as readable.

skip-skip-skip-skip-skip-skip-skip-skip-skip----

The weird part, if I change video-resolution within the game (to
-any- different video resolution), then go back to original
resolution, the sound 'stutters/skips' are completely gone, for the
rest of the flight-sim session.

I switched PCIPnP latency-setting from 64 to 32, it seems to have
gotten rid of the majority of the 'skipping' sound, but still a small
'blip' now and then (maybe 1 skip every 6/15 seconds). Still get the
video-stutter though, when at airports and ATC speaks.

Is this onboard soundchip not powerful enough to run heavier graphics
programs like FS2004? Ran FarCry too (heavy frame-rates), but never
any sound problem.

Has anyone seen anything like this running FS2004? If so, any ideas
on clearing up the last of the sound 'skips', and video-stutter? What
did you do to get rid of sound problems? Toss the onboard sound and
get another PCI sound-card?

Thanks for any help(!).

p.s. A while back I disabled onboard soundchip and installed a year
old Hercules Fortissimo 7.1 sound-card, and the sound-quality was much
worse (lots of echoing sound, and crashes to desktop). Drivers for
this card are even older than SoundMAX.