3200+ Speed and Cache

Old June 12th 04, 02:11 PM
Derek Baker

johny wrote:
Hmmm, interesting, there is actualy two different A64
3200+Processors. 2.2 w/512K and 2.0 w/1MB. Outpost.com has both in
sale. AMD Athlon 64 3200+ Boxed Processor - ADA3200AXBOX

AMD Athlon 64 Processor :
Outpost #: 4035562
a.. CPU Speed: 2.2GHz
a.. Cache: 512K
a.. Bus Speed: 800MHz
This one for $319

AMD Athlon 64 3200+ Boxed Processor - ADA3200BOX

AMD Athlon 64 Processor :
Outpost #: 3793666
a.. CPU Speed: 2.0GHz
a.. Cache: 1152K
a.. Bus Speed: 800MHz

This one for $299

It'd be interesting to see benchmark for these two, which
one performs better.

I'd like to see benchmarks too; AMD seems to have slipped the new chip out
very quietly

--
Derek

Old June 15th 04, 08:21 AM
goblin

"Derek Baker" wrote in
:

johny wrote:
Hmmm, interesting, there is actualy two different A64
3200+Processors. 2.2 w/512K and 2.0 w/1MB. Outpost.com has both in
sale. AMD Athlon 64 3200+ Boxed Processor - ADA3200AXBOX

AMD Athlon 64 Processor :
Outpost #: 4035562
a.. CPU Speed: 2.2GHz
a.. Cache: 512K
a.. Bus Speed: 800MHz
This one for $319

AMD Athlon 64 3200+ Boxed Processor - ADA3200BOX

AMD Athlon 64 Processor :
Outpost #: 3793666
a.. CPU Speed: 2.0GHz
a.. Cache: 1152K
a.. Bus Speed: 800MHz

This one for $299

It'd be interesting to see benchmark for these two, which
one performs better.

I'd like to see benchmarks too; AMD seems to have slipped the new chip
out very quietly

The 2.2 will perform better. I've had my 3200+/1ML2 running at 2.2 for
several months. I filled the 3rd ram slot (754) which cuts the ram speed
in half but the extra 200 mhz is quite a bit faster than doubling ram
speed.
Old June 15th 04, 10:30 AM
Derek Baker

goblin wrote:
"Derek Baker" wrote in
:

johny wrote:
[...]

Yeah, but halving main memory speed is a bit different from halving cache
size.

--
Derek

Old June 15th 04, 07:24 PM
goblin

"Derek Baker" wrote in
:

goblin wrote:
"Derek Baker" wrote in
:

johny wrote:
[...]

You have a point there. I've just noticed that an extra 200 mhz of
64-bits is a boost I never saw proportionately out of any 32-bitter so I
don't think twice the cache would outdue an overclock either. Based on
AMD's price difference of cache vs clock, I don't see the cache making
that much difference or they would have reflected it in the price. 200
mhz more is a big jump in price.
Old June 16th 04, 02:16 PM
Jason Cothran

"goblin" wrote in message
30...
| "Derek Baker" wrote in
| :
|
| goblin wrote:
| "Derek Baker" wrote in
| :
|
| johny wrote:
| Hmmm, interesting, there is actualy two different A64
| 3200+Processors. 2.2 w/512K and 2.0 w/1MB. Outpost.com has both in
| sale. AMD Athlon 64 3200+ Boxed Processor - ADA3200AXBOX
|
| AMD Athlon 64 Processor :
| Outpost #: 4035562
| a.. CPU Speed: 2.2GHz
| a.. Cache: 512K
| a.. Bus Speed: 800MHz
| This one for $319
|
| AMD Athlon 64 3200+ Boxed Processor - ADA3200BOX
|
| AMD Athlon 64 Processor :
| Outpost #: 3793666
| a.. CPU Speed: 2.0GHz
| a.. Cache: 1152K
| a.. Bus Speed: 800MHz
|

| This one for $299
|
| It'd be interesting to see benchmark for these two,
| which one performs better.
|

| I'd like to see benchmarks too; AMD seems to have slipped the new
| chip out very quietly
|

| The 2.2 will perform better. I've had my 3200+/1ML2 running at 2.2
| for several months. I filled the 3rd ram slot (754) which cuts the
| ram speed in half but the extra 200 mhz is quite a bit faster than
| doubling ram speed.
|
| Yeah, but halving main memory speed is a bit different from halving
| cache size.
|

| You have a point there. I've just noticed that an extra 200 mhz of
| 64-bits is a boost I never saw proportionately out of any 32-bitter so I
| don't think twice the cache would outdue an overclock either. Based on
| AMD's price difference of cache vs clock, I don't see the cache making
| that much difference or they would have reflected it in the price. 200
| mhz more is a big jump in price.

When I OC my 2GHz/1MB 3200+ to 2.2, I "feel" no difference, and see very
little difference on benchmarks. Unfortunately, I don't have a "stock"
2.2/512MB to compare it to. It would really depend on how dependent your
apps are on raw MHz, but for most instances, I would think the increased
cache would result in higher overall performance.

Old June 20th 04, 05:20 PM
neil s

On Tue, 15 Jun 2004 13:24:24 -0500, goblin wrote:

"Derek Baker" wrote in
:

goblin wrote:
"Derek Baker" wrote in
:

johny wrote:
[...]

I've had my 3200+(1gig cache) 64 at 2.2 since the day I got it home...She
is watered now with 20c differnce (cooler)in temp now compared to the crap
retail hsf sent with cpu ......

Old June 23rd 04, 07:46 PM
goblin

"Jason Cothran" wrote in
:

"goblin" wrote in message
30...
| "Derek Baker" wrote in
| :
|
| goblin wrote:
| "Derek Baker" wrote in
| :
|
| johny wrote:
| Hmmm, interesting, there is actualy two different A64
| 3200+Processors. 2.2 w/512K and 2.0 w/1MB. Outpost.com has both
| in
| sale. AMD Athlon 64 3200+ Boxed Processor - ADA3200AXBOX
|
| AMD Athlon 64 Processor :
| Outpost #: 4035562
| a.. CPU Speed: 2.2GHz
| a.. Cache: 512K
| a.. Bus Speed: 800MHz
| This one for $319
|
| AMD Athlon 64 3200+ Boxed Processor - ADA3200BOX
|
| AMD Athlon 64 Processor :
| Outpost #: 3793666
| a.. CPU Speed: 2.0GHz
| a.. Cache: 1152K
| a.. Bus Speed: 800MHz
|

| This one for $299
|
| It'd be interesting to see benchmark for these two,
| which one performs better.
|

| I'd like to see benchmarks too; AMD seems to have slipped the new
| chip out very quietly
|

| The 2.2 will perform better. I've had my 3200+/1ML2 running at 2.2
| for several months. I filled the 3rd ram slot (754) which cuts the
| ram speed in half but the extra 200 mhz is quite a bit faster than
| doubling ram speed.
|
| Yeah, but halving main memory speed is a bit different from halving
| cache size.
|

| You have a point there. I've just noticed that an extra 200 mhz of
| 64-bits is a boost I never saw proportionately out of any 32-bitter
| so I don't think twice the cache would outdue an overclock either.
| Based on AMD's price difference of cache vs clock, I don't see the
| cache making that much difference or they would have reflected it in
| the price. 200 mhz more is a big jump in price.

When I OC my 2GHz/1MB 3200+ to 2.2, I "feel" no difference, and see
very little difference on benchmarks. Unfortunately, I don't have a
"stock" 2.2/512MB to compare it to. It would really depend on how
dependent your apps are on raw MHz, but for most instances, I would
think the increased cache would result in higher overall performance.

Most of my usage is in audio compression but just manipulating windows
is snappier for me. I can feel the difference but when I OC my Athlon32
2400+ to 2.2 GHz I don't feel any real boost there. I've not run any
benchmark comparisons but things like audio encoding and ray tracing do
show an improvement in encoding time. MP3 encoding jumps from 180MB/min
to 200.

Considering the smaller percentage of bits that would fall into the L2 I
don't see where it would make much difference. L2 is only used when
needed but raw clock speed affects every single bit all the time. I
still think the price gives away just how useful the extra L2 is.

It may be that a lot of the boost I am seeing is additional ram, 1G vs
1.5G, for the only way for me to OC is by adding/removing the 3rd ram
stick; there is a disadvantage there -- slower clock w/ less ram vs
faster clock w/ 50% more ram, and that seem to be what's happening since
you don't see any performance boost.
Old June 23rd 04, 07:47 PM
goblin

neil s wrote in
news
On Tue, 15 Jun 2004 13:24:24 -0500, goblin wrote:

"Derek Baker" wrote in
:

goblin wrote:
"Derek Baker" wrote in
:

johny wrote:
[...]

Mine runs at 46c with the retail hsf. My Athlon32 2400+ is the silicon
furnace... it's been up to 70c at times but keeps on ticking. Shouldn't
you be able to get more than 2.2 if it's watercooled? Mine will go to
2.24 then locks up quickly. I could probably run DOS programs stable
at 2.24 but nothing else. Mine actually runs stable at 2.22 but I feel
safer with it left at 2.20. Also, I had to increase the cpu voltage by
..1V to get it to OC at all.
Old June 30th 04, 08:14 AM
johny

The 2.2 will perform better. I've had my 3200+/1ML2 running at 2.2
for several months. I filled the 3rd ram slot (754) which cuts the
ram speed in half but the extra 200 mhz is quite a bit faster than
doubling ram speed.

Please explain that. How does filling 3rd ram slot, cut the rem speed in
half? Does the ram perform as Dual Channel if you only have two sticks, but
if you have 1 or 3, it runs as Single Channel? And if so, is it a chipset
thing, cpu, mobo? I'm running my A64 on MSI K8T Neo FIS2R with two sticks of
RAM, is it running as dual channel?

GOBLIN WROTE:
It may be that a lot of the boost I am seeing is additional ram, 1G vs
1.5G, for the only way for me to OC is by adding/removing the 3rd ram
stick; there is a disadvantage there -- slower clock w/ less ram vs
faster clock w/ 50% more ram, and that seem to be what's happening since
you don't see any performance boost.

I say:
Seems to me like Goblin is saying totaly the opposite here. Adding 3rd stick
of RAM makes the memory run faster "higher clock freq."? did I miss
something here?

2 mb VS 8 mb hd cache Mitchua General 16 May 2nd 04 02:11 AM
CPU speed AMD 2800 vs 300 ? Mike General 7 April 18th 04 12:15 PM
Why is my HDD 133 mhz the speed of HDD 33 mhz? help space_ship_earth General 22 December 25th 03 03:07 PM
Hard Drive Speed?? PawsForThought General 14 November 17th 03 01:28 AM
Serial-ATA HD with 8MB cache Pearlf General 5 October 5th 03 09:25 AM