PM 8 doesn't move NTFS partitions?

Old May 13th 04, 10:02 PM

Default PM 8 doesn't move NTFS partitions?

I've been trying to use Partition Magic 8 to move a partition on a hard drive.
It tells me it has to shut down to do this, and eveything else looks ok but when
I restart the partition is the same as before. I've tried this several times.
Using on Win 2000 Pro, 9 gig SCSI with 2 partitions (C: @ 3.5 gb and D: @ 5.5
gb). I want C: @ 5 gb and D: @ 4 gb.

Old May 14th 04, 11:28 AM
Mr. Grinch

"Michael Kimmer" wrote in news:40a3ee02$0
:

Moving an NTFS (either Windows 2000 or XP) partition should not cause a
problem...done it so many times already!

The last version of PM I tried did complain if it saw that I had "server"
versions of 2000. They sell the product to use for "servers" under another
name... forget which. But the poster says he's using Pro so it shouldn't be
an issue... unless he's also got a copy of server somewhere as well.
Old May 14th 04, 02:41 PM
Michael Kimmer

Mr. Grinch wrote:
"Michael Kimmer" wrote in
news:40a3ee02$0 :

Moving an NTFS (either Windows 2000 or XP) partition should not
cause a problem...done it so many times already!

The last version of PM I tried did complain if it saw that I had
"server" versions of 2000. They sell the product to use for
"servers" under another name... forget which. But the poster says
he's using Pro so it shouldn't be an issue... unless he's also got a
copy of server somewhere as well.

The 'PartitionMagic for servers' is called VolumeManage 2.0.
http://enterprisesecurity.symantec.c...ctID=345&EID=0

he's using Pro so it shouldn't be an issue... unless he's also got a
copy of server somewhere as well.

Not very likely. If PM 8.0 finds a W2K server installation during setup it
will abandon the installation.
The fact that the NTFS volume is untouched indicates that there is an issue
on NTFS level.

Best thing for him to try is to CHKDSK the partition to be moved prior to a
PM session and do it outside Windows. Just start M 8.0 directly from the PM
8.0 CD or rescue disks

--
M.f.G.
Michael Kimmer

"Ein Tag an dem Du nicht lächelst ist ein verlorener Tag"
"Eine Nacht in der Du nicht schläfst ist eine verschlafene Nacht"

Old May 14th 04, 06:41 PM
Folkert Rienstra

"Michael Kimmer" wrote in message ...
wrote in message ...

I've been trying to use Partition Magic 8 to move a partition on a
hard drive. It tells me it has to shut down to do this, and eveything
else looks ok but when I restart the partition is the same as before.
I've tried this several times. Using on Win 2000 Pro, 9 gig SCSI with
2 partitions (C: @ 3.5 gb and D: @ 5.5 gb). I want C: @ 5 gb and D:
@ 4 gb.

And when you start PM 8 directly from the CD and do the same as you did in
Windows?
If that works then the problem is something in Windows...

Yeah, obviously can't be PM. They only needed 8 tries to get it right.
But then, maybe they didn't.

Old May 14th 04, 08:53 PM
Joep

Everything looks okay ... What do you mean by that? *What* do you actually
see? After PM reboots the PC it will run in the pre-boot mode. It will first
check the disk and if it finds anomalies, it will print an error message and
reboot again. What does it tell you?

--
Joep

Old May 14th 04, 09:18 PM
Joep

wrote in message

I've been trying to use Partition Magic 8 to move a partition on a
hard drive. It tells me it has to shut down to do this, and eveything
else looks ok but when I restart the partition is the same as before.
I've tried this several times. Using on Win 2000 Pro, 9 gig SCSI with
2 partitions (C: @ 3.5 gb and D: @ 5.5 gb). I want C: @ 5 gb and D:
@ 4 gb.

And when you start PM 8 directly from the CD and do the same as you did

in
Windows?
If that works then the problem is something in Windows...

Yeah, obviously can't be PM. They only needed 8 tries to get it right.
But then, maybe they didn't.

Although at some point I even thought to myself "well, maybe Folkert ain't
that bad after all" (although you may not even care what I think), lately
you're really succeeding in behaving like a complete prick. All you can do
is ridiculing other people's contributions and at the same time you fail to
make any constructive comments or suggest solutions of your own. You're
whining about how people set up (or fail to) their news reader is becoming
pretty boring as well. It is good to correct people when they have their
facts wrong, the way you do it is a bit silly. Just tell 'm where they went
wrong and replace false facts with the right ones.

If you did indeed memorize ATA specs then maybe you can distill some useful
comments and suggestions out of that 'knowledge'. So, if someone posts an
erroronous comment, rather than suggesting that they don't know what they're
on about, you may want to correct their view with some facts from the ATA
specs. When doing so, please keep in mind that many people who request help
are looking for solutions, not some boring ATA facts. Try to keep it
practical.

About PM: It may have it's flaws, like any other software will have it's
flaws. I can surely point out some things I'd like them to handle in a
different manner. If you claim they needed 8 versions to get it right, you
obviously don't have a clue what you're on about. Since PM was introduced,
disks have grown, file systems have changed, new file systems saw the light
and new functionality has been added. Those are facts. Yes, and it's also a
fact that people have lost data after using PM, it's why they recommend
backups before using it. I use it years already and have never lost any data
while using the program, I am sure many others have used it succesfully,
it's the people that don't post. Your contribution didn't help anyone one
bit.

--
Joep

Old May 15th 04, 07:55 AM
Carl Farrington

wrote in message

I've been trying to use Partition Magic 8 to move a partition on a
hard drive. It tells me it has to shut down to do this, and
eveything
else looks ok but when I restart the partition is the same as
before.
I've tried this several times. Using on Win 2000 Pro, 9 gig SCSI
with 2 partitions (C: @ 3.5 gb and D: @ 5.5 gb). I want C: @ 5 gb
and D: @ 4 gb.

And when you start PM 8 directly from the CD and do the same as you
did in
Windows?
If that works then the problem is something in Windows...

Yeah, obviously can't be PM. They only needed 8 tries to get it right.

I regularly use PM 4 since it doesn't differentiate between a NT/2000 Server
and Workstation.
You are obviously talking utter crap.

Old May 15th 04, 05:42 PM
That guy

I've been trying to use Partition Magic 8 to move a partition on a
hard drive. It tells me it has to shut down to do this, and eveything
else looks ok but when I restart the partition is the same as before.
I've tried this several times. Using on Win 2000 Pro, 9 gig SCSI with
2 partitions (C: @ 3.5 gb and D: @ 5.5 gb). I want C: @ 5 gb and D:
@ 4 gb.

And when you start PM 8 directly from the CD and do the same as you did in
Windows? If that works then the problem is something in Windows...

Haven't tried it. Shouldn't it work within Windows? I didn't read anything in
the Help files mentioning booting up with it.

Old May 15th 04, 05:42 PM
That guy

Moving an NTFS (either Windows 2000 or XP) partition should not cause a
problem...done it so many times already!

The last version of PM I tried did complain if it saw that I had "server"
versions of 2000. They sell the product to use for "servers" under another
name... forget which. But the poster says he's using Pro so it shouldn't be
an issue... unless he's also got a copy of server somewhere as well.

Not a server. Just Win 2000 Pro with latest updates.