PM 8 doesn't move NTFS partitions?

Old May 15th 04, 05:43 PM
That guy

I've been trying to use Partition Magic 8 to move a partition on a
hard drive. It tells me it has to shut down to do this, and eveything
else looks ok but when I restart the partition is the same as before.
I've tried this several times. Using on Win 2000 Pro, 9 gig SCSI with
2 partitions (C: @ 3.5 gb and D: @ 5.5 gb). I want C: @ 5 gb and D:
@ 4 gb.

Yeah, obviously can't be PM. They only needed 8 tries to get it right.
But then, maybe they didn't.

Does anyone have any recommendations for other software to move Partitions in
Win 2000 Pro?

Old May 15th 04, 05:47 PM
That guy

I've been trying to use Partition Magic 8 to move a partition on a hard
drive. It tells me it has to shut down to do this, and eveything else looks

ok
but when I restart the partition is the same as before. I've tried this

several
times. Using on Win 2000 Pro, 9 gig SCSI with 2 partitions (C: @ 3.5 gb
and D: @ 5.5 gb). I want C: @ 5 gb and D: @ 4 gb.

Everything looks okay ... What do you mean by that?

It doesn't give me any errors. Actually it fixed an error then there were no
more.

*What* do you actually see?

It tells me it has to restart to complete its tasks. After restarting the
partitions are the same as before.

After PM reboots the PC it will run in the pre-boot mode.

It didn't. It restarted normally. I'm not running PM off the CD. Do I need
to?

Old May 15th 04, 07:44 PM
Folkert Rienstra

"Carl Farrington" wrote in message ...
Folkert Rienstra wrote:
"Michael Kimmer" wrote in message ...
wrote in message ...

I've been trying to use Partition Magic 8 to move a partition on a
hard drive. It tells me it has to shut down to do this, and
eveything
else looks ok but when I restart the partition is the same as
before.
I've tried this several times. Using on Win 2000 Pro, 9 gig SCSI
with 2 partitions (C: @ 3.5 gb and D: @ 5.5 gb). I want C: @ 5 gb
and D: @ 4 gb.

And when you start PM 8 directly from the CD and do the same as you
did in
Windows?
If that works then the problem is something in Windows...

Yeah, obviously can't be PM. They only needed 8 tries to get it right.

I regularly use PM 4 since it doesn't differentiate between a NT/2000
Server and Workstation.

Oops, that obviously must have hurted their sales.

You are obviously talking utter crap.

Old May 15th 04, 10:17 PM
Joep

"That guy" wrote in message

It didn't. It restarted normally. I'm not running PM off the CD. Do I

need
to?

Well you can try. Error messages (if any) will be more clear. By running the
DOS version you also skip the reboot thing, once you click apply it will
immediately ... apply. Also, you may be able to find out what's wrong by
having a look at PM's logfile pq_debug in the windows/system32 folder.
Actual error numbers should be reported there.

--
Joep

Old May 15th 04, 11:11 PM
Mr. Grinch

"That guy" wrote in
:

Moving an NTFS (either Windows 2000 or XP) partition should not cause
a problem...done it so many times already!

The last version of PM I tried did complain if it saw that I had
"server" versions of 2000. They sell the product to use for "servers"
under another name... forget which. But the poster says he's using Pro
so it shouldn't be an issue... unless he's also got a copy of server
somewhere as well.

Not a server. Just Win 2000 Pro with latest updates.

Thought as much. Just mentioned it on the slim chance that you might have
it.

This probably is not much help if you really want to use PM. I gave PM a few
chances, and didn't like the results. I wanted the results to be the same as
if I'd run fdisk, but often I came up with different results. On top of
that, I hated doing a backup before running PM, then sitting and waiting to
see if PM would work for me or not. I mean, if I have the time to do a
backup, then why not just blow away the partitions and go crazy with fdisk,
then restore? Many times I felt that doing a restore was faster than letting
PM do it's thing and hoping that it worked OK. At least with a restore I
knew exactly what I was getting. If I'm going through all the trouble of
making a good backup, why not use it?

What I do is backup all non-system partitions just with robocopy to another
volume or disk. If for some reason I don't want to re-install the OS, then I
backup the boot / os partition with a disk-imaging system like Ghost. Then
run fdisk, set things up the way I want them, and restore the boot OS with
Ghost. Boot up into my restored OS, and run robocopy to copy the data back
to the resized volume I want.

Right now I have my first drive as dual boot, C: is WinME, D: is 2003, and E:
has some apps/drivers/app installs. I keep running out of space on D: so I'll
be doing the partition image backup / resize with fdisk / restore process
rather than use PM. It's free, it works, and I know what the results will be.
The only thing that bugs me fdisk is how long it takes when making /
verifying large partitions, but it's not that bad.

Usually I create several partition images for each OS. One with the vanilla
OS install, another with all the windows updates / service packs, another
with drivers updated, and a final with all apps installed. If I blow
something up that I can't fix, I go back to one of the earlier images as
needed.