Connecting 2nd PC to printer

Old June 12th 06, 01:56 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers

Default Connecting 2nd PC to printer

I have a laptop connected via a USB connecter.
It is also connected to the Intenet via a router
My desktop is also connected to the Internet via the router. At present the
desktop cannot access the printer as I don't know what the path should be.
The printer driver is installed on the desktop
How do I establish the correct path to specify?
Blair

Old June 12th 06, 09:47 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers

Blair wrote:
I have a laptop connected via a USB connecter.
It is also connected to the Intenet via a router
My desktop is also connected to the Internet via the router. At present the
desktop cannot access the printer as I don't know what the path should be.
The printer driver is installed on the desktop
How do I establish the correct path to specify?
Blair

Hi - as the printer is not connected to the router, you need to ensure
that you set up a home network so that the two computers can see each
other on the network. You will then be able to specify that the
printer should be shared and if you go through the Add Printer wizard,
you can specify to find a network printer - this should help.

Rich

Old June 13th 06, 01:22 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/814005/en-us

--
Christoph Lindemann
Undocumented Printing

Old June 13th 06, 04:18 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers

"rwap" wrote in message
ps.com...

Blair wrote:
I have a laptop connected via a USB connecter.
It is also connected to the Intenet via a router
My desktop is also connected to the Internet via the router. At present
the
desktop cannot access the printer as I don't know what the path should
be.
The printer driver is installed on the desktop
How do I establish the correct path to specify?
Blair

Hi - as the printer is not connected to the router, you need to ensure
that you set up a home network so that the two computers can see each
other on the network. You will then be able to specify that the
printer should be shared and if you go through the Add Printer wizard,
you can specify to find a network printer - this should help.

Rich

Thanks for your help. I now realise that my real problem is that I have not
got a working network.
At one stage I could access my laptop from my desktop but not the other way
round
My printer is connected to my laptop
But in trying to alter settings all I have now done is acheiving no network
at all.
I find there are so many settings which might cause trouble that I an
confused.
Blair

Old June 13th 06, 08:13 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers

Don't forget that you also need to ensure that your firewall software
is set up to permit each computer to access the other - give them both
unique names but the same workgroup name and it should be fairly easy
to set up using the Microsoft Network wizard (provided both PCs are
running the same type of Windows).

It can normally help to disable the firewall on both machines
completely whilst you mess about with the network settings, to at least
rule that out of the equation.

Rich
http://www.rwapservices.co.uk

"Blair" wrote in message
I have a laptop connected via a USB connecter.
It is also connected to the Intenet via a router
My desktop is also connected to the Internet via the router. At present
the desktop cannot access the printer as I don't know what the path
should be.
The printer driver is installed on the desktop
How do I establish the correct path to specify?
Blair

Epson Stylus Color 640 on WinXP Tony Printers 4 May 17th 06 10:18 AM
Ping : Zak Mary Printers 27 April 29th 06 05:34 AM
Wireless Printer Server and USB printer? [email protected] Printers 4 June 28th 05 04:01 AM
Printer Ports Unseen Stephen Grossman Printers 0 December 28th 04 07:14 PM
Connecting my printer via wifi? Paul Printers 1 December 1st 04 11:17 PM