Networking a printer

Old April 9th 06, 05:29 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers

Default Networking a printer

I am about to setup my 2 PCs with Wanadoo Livebox which gives me a faster
Broadband connection with the ability of running 2 PCs independently.One is
connected by wireless and the other by Ethernet cable
At present one of the PCs is connected to my printer via a USB connector
What is the cheapest method to allow access to the printer by both PCs?
Blair

Old April 9th 06, 05:48 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers

"Blair" wrote in message
I am about to setup my 2 PCs with Wanadoo Livebox which gives me a faster
Broadband connection with the ability of running 2 PCs independently.One
is
connected by wireless and the other by Ethernet cable
At present one of the PCs is connected to my printer via a USB connector
What is the cheapest method to allow access to the printer by both PCs?
Blair

Depends on the printer and the software. Are you running Win XP, Unix or ???
That makes it simple. If it is a standard printer it just has to be hooked
to the computer and the other can use it. (both computers must be on)

Other printers are network friendly and can be plugged into a hub and be
accessed by the network.

You don't give enough information for a better answer. What PC has the
printer? What printer?

Old April 10th 06, 02:29 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers

Hi Blair

As others have noted, the easiest path is to share out the USB-connected
computer on the network. Only negative: the computer it is connected to
has to be turned on.

If you want to print no matter which computers are turned on, you can
attach a wired or wireless print server device to the network. Then
connect the printer to that device. Linksys and D-Link both make devices
to do this that I've used for clients and had satisfactory results. Cost is
roughly $50 to $100, depending on which device you get, plus time andor
money to get it installed.

-- stan

Old April 10th 06, 08:29 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in message
news

"Blair" wrote in message
I am about to setup my 2 PCs with Wanadoo Livebox which gives me a faster
Broadband connection with the ability of running 2 PCs independently.One
is
connected by wireless and the other by Ethernet cable
At present one of the PCs is connected to my printer via a USB connector
What is the cheapest method to allow access to the printer by both PCs?
Blair

Depends on the printer and the software. Are you running Win XP, Unix or
???
That makes it simple. If it is a standard printer it just has to be

hooked
to the computer and the other can use it. (both computers must be on)

Other printers are network friendly and can be plugged into a hub and be
accessed by the network.

You don't give enough information for a better answer. What PC has the
printer? What printer?

I will be running XP on both PCs
The printer is Epson Stylus COLOR 880
The Livebox supplied by Wanadoo is a modem and phone device which has a
spare Ethernet connection.
I wondered if I could use that Ethernet connection for the printer?
Otherwise the network should include the printer with the proviso that both
PCs are turned on
Blair

Old April 10th 06, 08:35 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers

"zakezuke" wrote in message
ups.com...
Broadband connection with the ability of running 2 PCs
independently.One is
connected by wireless and the other by Ethernet cable
At present one of the PCs is connected to my printer via a
USB connector
What is the cheapest method to allow access to the printer
by both PCs?

[start] {settings} {printers and faxes}
Rightclick on the printer you wish to share {sharing...}

(Printer Properties)
( ) Do not share the printer
(*) Share the printer
Share Name ["whatever-you-like"]
[OK]
-----------------

It may or may not be "as" simple as all that... but the cheapest way is
to share the printer under windows... presuming you are running
windows. You may be running a firewall, or you might be given ip
addresses from your ISP that are simply not on the same subnet. But
since both PCs are already on a network, you already have the stuff.

A good way to check is the following commands (quotes denote what to
type, don't type them)

[start]{run}"cmd"
c:\whatever "ipconfig"

----

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : whatever.com
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : x.x.x.y
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : whatever
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : whatever
---

If x.x.x.y = something like 192.168.0.something on both PCs your good
to go, or basicly any sequence of numbers where only the y value is
different.
-----

On the PC you wish to use the printer use this command

[start]{run}"file://x.x.x.y"

Where x.x.x.y = the address shown on the PC that has the printer. You
may also browse the network (my network places entire network) but
i'm told that "XP home" is tweeky in that regard and i'd rather give
instructions that work on anything win98 and above. You should be able
to see the host system in an file explorer window, and the printer
"whatever" you named it, and you should be able to install it...
provided that you don't have pesky firewall software in the way.

Thanks for your help. Once I Install the Livebox I will carry out the checks
you listed
Blair

Old April 10th 06, 08:37 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers

"Stanley Krute" wrote in message
. com...
Hi Blair

As others have noted, the easiest path is to share out the USB-connected
computer on the network. Only negative: the computer it is connected to
has to be turned on.

If you want to print no matter which computers are turned on, you can
attach a wired or wireless print server device to the network. Then
connect the printer to that device. Linksys and D-Link both make devices
to do this that I've used for clients and had satisfactory results. Cost

is
roughly $50 to $100, depending on which device you get, plus time andor
money to get it installed.

-- stan

Thanks for your reply
The Livebox has a spare Ethernet connection. Is this any good for connecting
the printer?
Blair

Old April 10th 06, 11:46 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers

Thanks for your help. Once I Install the Livebox I will carry out the checks
you listed

I should add that XP has some oddball wizard I can't access as i've
already run it... selecting "shut the hell up". But I believe you will
encounter this step while following my walkthough.

Also in another responce you asked about the spare ethernet connection
being good for the printer. I don't have any details about "Livebox",
I can only guess as to it's technical details, so the best responces I
can offer are odds are, should, and ask technical support to be sure.
Near as i'm aware the Epson Stylus COLOR 880 does not have an ethernet
connection onboard, so unless you employ some form of print server you
would not be hooking up the Epson to the LiveBox. However if your
printer "did" have such a connection it shouldn't be a problem.
However I think you mean something to the effect of can you jack the PC
into the livebox and share the printer... where this should not be
required. From my understaniding Livebox is a sorta combo service of
internet (modem), home networking (wifi hub/router), and phone (VoIP).
It's not an issue sharing a printer from one pc attached to a
hub/switch/router which I assume that's what the livebox is, and
another pc attached to the same device over wireless ethernet AKA wifi.

Presuming that the livebox is your standard issue router with nat to
share an IP address... not an issue.

An old rule of thumb was PC is attached to the planet, other PC is also
attached to the same planet... your shared printer is shared with the
plaent. This was before firewalls were standard fair and before ISPs
thought it was a good idea to disable file and printer sharing between
the customers and planet earth. But with this thingie they provide,
you have a network, each PC can see the planet, each pc can see
eachother. Unless there is some weirdness they installed... and unless
your firewall gives you trouble, you are golden.

Old April 10th 06, 02:06 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers

"zakezuke" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Thanks again for your very full explanation. It is much appreciated.
Before I have the Livebox live I am having to replace my old desktop which
ran 98 with a new PC running XP as the Livebox does not support 98
I was about to replace it anyway but this has brought it forward
Will let you know how I get on
Blair

Old April 10th 06, 06:39 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers

Before I have the Livebox live I am having to replace my old desktop which
ran 98 with a new PC running XP as the Livebox does not support 98

Does not support 98? The people or the box?

Odds are... so long as your machine has ethernet, it'll work. Usually
when "they" say we don't support win98 it means we won't touch old
machine cause they are so dang slow our support personal will be out in
the field for days rather than hours. The keystrokes would be very
much the same on a win98 machine, though you'd need the win98 driver...
oh and you have to dig through your network properties. Sharing a
printer "from" a win98 box would require a few different keystrokes.

The only way it wouldn't is if they were doing something totally weird,
and weird tends to cost more money.

Old April 11th 06, 07:37 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers

"zakezuke" wrote in message
ups.com...
Before I have the Livebox live I am having to replace my old desktop

which
ran 98 with a new PC running XP as the Livebox does not support 98

Does not support 98? The people or the box?

Odds are... so long as your machine has ethernet, it'll work. Usually
when "they" say we don't support win98 it means we won't touch old
machine cause they are so dang slow our support personal will be out in
the field for days rather than hours. The keystrokes would be very
much the same on a win98 machine, though you'd need the win98 driver...
oh and you have to dig through your network properties. Sharing a
printer "from" a win98 box would require a few different keystrokes.

The only way it wouldn't is if they were doing something totally weird,
and weird tends to cost more money.

I checked on Wanadoo web site and they list 98SE as acceptable but when I
phoned their "technical help line" I got the message that 98SE would not
work with Livebox.
I am not impressed with Wanadoo help
However I still get the fault report which says I must remove all firewalls.
I have done that but of course this is a fault which probably has nothing to
do with a firewall
Blair

Wireless Printer Server and USB printer? [email protected] Printers 4 June 28th 05 04:01 AM
The ideal inkjet printer anon Printers 6 April 29th 05 07:39 AM
FS PRINTER PARTS trays fusers drums printheads -- oki fujitsu hp genicom epson ibm dec jetdirect laserjet lexnmark qms okidata ml320 mannesmann tally printonix tektronix qms toshiba zebra otc ibm lexmark intermec dec compaq montreal canada toronto o [email protected] Printers 1 March 15th 05 05:50 AM
deskjet 845 C ink Pascal Printers 2 November 17th 03 09:16 AM
last comment Was Curious Dell Computers 15 November 3rd 03 11:17 PM