Epson Stylus Color 400=Help

Old August 6th 05, 04:44 PM
Blair

Default Epson Stylus Color 400=Help

A friend asked me to help him with his Epson Stylus Color 400 which was
printing very faintly and he thought that the cartridge needed replacing and
he bought and fitted a new Epson one . The results were the same.
I first of all started the cleaning cycle and after several cleaning cycles
it printed perfectly although I noticed the ink indicated showed only half
full.
I then tried the colour but one colour was very faint and after cleaning
again there was no improvement. As my friend hardly ever used colour we
left it and went back to printing his documents in black when I noticed the
red light was on continuously against the black and when we tried to print
there was a large red cross over the printer. I have now brought the printer
home with me and connected the printer to power only and it still shows the
red light on against the black so I cannot carry out any cleaning cycles.
It is obviously a fault on the printer
Can anyone suggest a remedy please.
Blair

Old August 6th 05, 05:44 PM
Cari

"Blair" wrote in message
[...]

It's such an ancient printer that it will probably cost more to repair than
to purchase a new one.
--
Cari (MS-MVP)
Printing & Imaging

Old August 6th 05, 07:10 PM
Shooter

As someone has said a very old printer, but that should make it easy to
purchase cleaning carts, if you decide to do this go to a site and down load
a purge tiff, this will allow you to clean a couple of times then print the
purge, providing the waste pads are not full it may work.

Old August 6th 05, 09:39 PM
Blair

I realise that it is an old printer but I hate to be beaten on what may be a
simple remedy.
I have a cleaning cart but at present as long as the red light is on it will
not permit the cleaning cycle to start. Also if I remove the new cart
according to the book it cannot be used again.
It also cost £11.50!
Blair

Old August 6th 05, 09:55 PM
adgy

Blair

If you feel confident enough strip down the tray that holds the ink
cartridges to the point where the print head can be removed, then immerse
the head in approx 1/4" 'HOT' not boiling water for a short time. Using
kitchen roll after the soak press the head onto the tissue and repeat the
process until there is little or no ink on the tissue. I've still got a 600
Epson running as well as the day it was bought.

If you need further and I'm assuming the 400 is similar to the 600 I will
try and talk you through the process of getting the print head out.

Regards

Old August 6th 05, 09:55 PM
adgy

Blair

If you feel confident enough strip down the tray that holds the ink
cartridges to the point where the print head can be removed, then immerse
the head in approx 1/4" 'HOT' not boiling water for a short time. Using
kitchen roll after the soak press the head onto the tissue and repeat the
process until there is little or no ink on the tissue. I've still got a 600
Epson running as well as the day it was bought.

If you need further and I'm assuming the 400 is similar to the 600 I will
try and talk you through the process of getting the print head out.

Regards

Scratch my back to reply............................................. .

Old August 6th 05, 10:36 PM
Tony

Doing what others have advised with the printhead may be worthwhile, but your
red light "may" be caused by the protection counter.
Try http://www.ssclg.com/epsone.shtml and use the utility to reset the
protection counter, if you are fortunate you will then be able to purge.
Be warned however that the waste ink pad may be getting close to full and you
may in the near future need to replace or clean it to avoid overflow.
Tony

Old August 7th 05, 06:00 AM
Blair

Thanks to everyone who replied. Early this morning I decided to try and
release the black cartridge temporarily and reinstall it. The red light went
out I am back using the 400 again.!
I was afraid that the cartridge would be useless after reinstalling it but
all seems well.
I hate throwing devices on the scrap heap!
Blair

Old August 7th 05, 12:33 PM
Shooter

I service a customers 600 from time to time and he is always removing and
replacing his carts after first use and has never had a problem.

Old August 7th 05, 02:02 PM
Blair

I spoke too soon! After I had taken the printer back to my friend and
connected to his PC I had a communication problem with a large red cross
over the printer image.
I brought it back to my house again and found the same fault so have come o
the conclusion that the cable is faulty and my next stage is to buy a new
cable
Will let you know the result. Unless someone has a brighter idea
Blair