Networking a printer

Old April 11th 06, 09:40 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers

Default Networking a printer

I checked on Wanadoo web site and they list 98SE as acceptable but when I
phoned their "technical help line" I got the message that 98SE would not
work with Livebox.

They likely mean they won't support win98se, as in they won't take the
time to help win98se users.

I have done that but of course this is a fault which probably has nothing to
do with a firewall

Windows has a built in firewall. Often times it's enabled when it well
shouldn't be. Sometimes mcafees leaves crap behind, or norton for that
matter.

try to ping the remote machine
start[run]"cmd"
c:\whatever"ping x.x.x.y"
where x.x.x.x = the address of the pc with the printer from the remote
machine, or visa versa.

-----
C:\Documents and Settings\zakezukeping 192.168.0.1

Pinging 192.168.0.1 with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 192.168.0.1: bytes=32 time1ms TTL=127
Reply from 192.168.0.1: bytes=32 time1ms TTL=127
Reply from 192.168.0.1: bytes=32 time1ms TTL=127

Ping statistics for 192.168.0.1:
-----------

You should get something like this... if not something is buggered...
most likely firewall software.

Old April 11th 06, 04:59 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers

"zakezuke" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

I checked the firewall setting on Windows and disconnected it.
The point is I have at present no connection between my PCs.
That is what the software is attwmpting to do. So I can't ping at present
Blair

Old April 11th 06, 08:25 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers

I checked the firewall setting on Windows and disconnected it.
The point is I have at present no connection between my PCs.
That is what the software is attwmpting to do. So I can't ping at present
Blair

You way wish to check out

http://forums.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/f...sp?FID=22&PN=1

While there are a ton of people here who know about the particulars of
printers, networking, and basic troubleshooting, I don't think there is
anyone here who knows about this "livebox" device. I presumed it was
your run of the mill wifi router with VoIP phone service but I see
references to "livebox software" without a clear explanation as to what
this software is. The following site sugests "livebox" is just what I
think it is, a standard run of the mill wifirouter, adsl modem, and
VoIP support.

http://zxon.notnet.co.uk/wanadoo/3rdparty.html

I don't honestly know if for example your win98se box has the wireless
or wired network adapter, but if it's the wireless it doesn't have
native WiFI support and you are dependent on the maker of your WiFi
adapter for software. This roughly means someone like my self can't
describe the keystrokes because if I owned a D-link it would be totally
different from Netgear for example. Wired network is more standarized,
and XP is also standardized.

But needless to say I don't have a clear grasp of where the problem is,
and those who actually have experence with this "Livebox" are likely to
be far more helpful.

Wireless Printer Server and USB printer? [email protected] Printers 4 June 28th 05 04:01 AM
The ideal inkjet printer anon Printers 6 April 29th 05 07:39 AM
FS PRINTER PARTS trays fusers drums printheads -- oki fujitsu hp genicom epson ibm dec jetdirect laserjet lexnmark qms okidata ml320 mannesmann tally printonix tektronix qms toshiba zebra otc ibm lexmark intermec dec compaq montreal canada toronto o [email protected] Printers 1 March 15th 05 05:50 AM
deskjet 845 C ink Pascal Printers 2 November 17th 03 09:16 AM
last comment Was Curious Dell Computers 15 November 3rd 03 11:17 PM