Cannot see "videos" on TV...

Old February 16th 05, 07:56 PM
VIDiot

Default Cannot see "videos" on TV...

Problem; cannot see 'videos' play on TV (yet they appear OK on the
monitor) using "Clone" view... (fixed this once before, on another
system, cannot seem to figure it out now, on my own system nor the old
one).

Detailed description of the problem:

When I play a video, I can see it fine on my monitor, but, it appears
as a black-window on my TV. I can switch to TV+analog, and it'll appear
on the TV, but then, it won't appear on the PC. I do alot of viewing and
editing and I often review my work on the TV, instead of sitting at the
PC for hrs at a time, so it's kind of a pain having to continuously
switch views. I had this same problem on my son's PC, and fixed it once,
(this was before I gave it to him, so he doesn't use the TV-out
feature), but I cannot seem to recall what I did in the settings, to fix
the problem. Any help would be appreciated.

The card I'm using is a geforce FX 5200 w/256mb DDR.

Here's what I found when I searched for a solution:

Desktop properties settings advanced GeForce Tab Additional
properties Overlay Control Mirror control

However, after re-installing 3-4 different driver versions, (including
the latest update from the Chaintech website for the 'exact' model of
card I bought from them), I "still" do-not see anything about "Mirror
control" in my settings...

Any ideas/suggestions?

VIDiot
....end of line.
Old February 16th 05, 09:46 PM
tq96

Desktop properties settings advanced GeForce Tab Additional
properties Overlay Control Mirror control

For newer drivers try this:
Settings Advanced Geforce Tab Full Screen Video in breakout menu
Full Screen Device = Secondary Display.
Old February 17th 05, 01:42 AM
VIDiot

VIDiot here...

On 16 Feb 2005 21:46:04 GMT, tq96 wrote:

Desktop properties settings advanced GeForce Tab Additional
properties Overlay Control Mirror control

For newer drivers try this:
Settings Advanced Geforce Tab Full Screen Video in breakout menu
Full Screen Device = Secondary Display.

Well, that 'did' make my video appear on the TV, however, I couldn't
see my desktop anymore, nor the video player controls. I appreciate that
tip though, it'll come in handy someday I'm sure.

VIDiot
....end of line.
Old March 9th 05, 10:05 AM
tq96

Problem; cannot see 'videos' play on TV (yet they appear OK on the
monitor) using "Clone" view... (fixed this once before, on another
system, cannot seem to figure it out now, on my own system nor the old
one).

I found one solution to this problem. If you play your videos in "Media
Player Classic"
(http://sourceforge.net/project/showf...package_id=843
58) and have the output format set to VMR9 Windowed or WMR9 Renderless,
then the videos will appear on both the monitor and TV. Make sure you have
the Full Screen Video option in the driver off.
Old March 12th 05, 09:21 PM
Frog Legs

On 09 Mar 2005 10:05:21 GMT, tq96 wrote:

I found one solution to this problem. If you play your videos in "Media
Player Classic"
(http://sourceforge.net/project/showf...package_id=843
58) and have the output format set to VMR9 Windowed or WMR9 Renderless,
then the videos will appear on both the monitor and TV. Make sure you have
the Full Screen Video option in the driver off.

I tried your patch. It works for video played with "Media Player
Classic" ,but that still leaves finding a fix for other players such
as "Power DVD". It is a good workaround until a full fix is found.
Thank you for the help.

Old March 15th 05, 07:08 AM
VIDiot

VIDiot here...

On 09 Mar 2005 10:05:21 GMT, tq96 wrote:

Problem; cannot see 'videos' play on TV (yet they appear OK on the
monitor) using "Clone" view... (fixed this once before, on another
system, cannot seem to figure it out now, on my own system nor the old
one).

I found one solution to this problem. If you play your videos in "Media
Player Classic"
(http://sourceforge.net/project/showf...package_id=843
58) and have the output format set to VMR9 Windowed or WMR9 Renderless,
then the videos will appear on both the monitor and TV. Make sure you have
the Full Screen Video option in the driver off.

Thank You VERY much! That worked PERFECTLY!! Now I don't have to switch
from Analog+TV to TV+Analog every time I want to watch a video on a
different screen!!

If I need to capture videos, and see it on the TV ... changing the
video display's isn't a big deal since I only do captures a couple times
a week.

Thank You once again! [thought I'd NEVER see any sort of solution!]

VIDiot
....end of line.
Old March 17th 05, 09:34 PM
tq96

I tried your patch. It works for video played with "Media Player
Classic" ,but that still leaves finding a fix for other players such
as "Power DVD". It is a good workaround until a full fix is found.
Thank you for the help.

It'll work for any player that plays the video via VMR9 instead of VMR7.
The reason is that VMR7 uses a hardware overlay (and only one is available)
while VMR9 does not.

I guess it's up to each player to support VMR9.
Old March 17th 05, 10:19 PM
tq96

VMR7. The reason is that VMR7 uses a hardware overlay (and only one

Also, there's an option I see in the drivers that says "disable hardware
overlay". On the drivers I'm using (66.93), that feature doesn't seem to
work, but when it does, that should also take care of this problem as the
limitation of there only being one hardware overlay seems to be the cause
of the problem.
Old March 18th 05, 12:47 AM
David

On 17 Mar 2005 21:34:04 GMT, tq96 wrote:

It'll work for any player that plays the video via VMR9 instead of VMR7.
The reason is that VMR7 uses a hardware overlay (and only one is available)
while VMR9 does not.

At last, an explanation of what the problem is! Thank you.