Tv-out resolution on Radion 9700 pro

Old September 26th 03, 06:29 PM
James

Default Tv-out resolution on Radion 9700 pro

I got me self a radeon 9700 pro - Evil commando2 from Powercolor.
Its got at Tv out what works fine.
The only problem is that the minimum output resolution is 1024
Ofcause I could just lower my monitor resolution but how cool is it with a
800x600 on a 19' monitor.
So is there any of u who know how u can lower your tv-out resolution (to
800x600 or maybe 640x480) while keeping your original monitor resolution
(1280x1024) ??
It seems impossible with the original drivers/software but maybe there is
some software out there that can fix the problem who knows ??
I want to capture the tv-out with a VCR while im playing one of my games so
NO! I can't just lower the resolution to 800x600 cause i can't play with
such a low resolution.

Old September 26th 03, 06:48 PM
Ben Pope

James wrote:
I got me self a radeon 9700 pro - Evil commando2 from Powercolor.
Its got at Tv out what works fine.
The only problem is that the minimum output resolution is 1024
Ofcause I could just lower my monitor resolution but how cool is it with a
800x600 on a 19' monitor.
So is there any of u who know how u can lower your tv-out resolution (to
800x600 or maybe 640x480) while keeping your original monitor resolution
(1280x1024) ??
It seems impossible with the original drivers/software but maybe there is
some software out there that can fix the problem who knows ??
I want to capture the tv-out with a VCR while im playing one of my games
so NO! I can't just lower the resolution to 800x600 cause i can't play
with such a low resolution.

I think there is a way of making TV out go to the other output. Theatre
mode?

How does it work for you at the moment? Do you get your primary or
secondary display on the TV?

Also I think it might be different depending on whether the TV is plugged in
when you power up or not (that might be pre-radeon)

I've never tried TV out (I might try it at some point, but my monitor is
bigger then my TV so no real point :-) so I don;t have any definate ideas -
just seeing if I can jog somebody else memory or maybe point you in the
right direction.

Good luck,

Ben

Old September 26th 03, 07:28 PM
James

"Ben Pope" wrote in message
James wrote:
[...]

Hmm my current settings is theatre mod. My monitor is set to 1280x1024 and
the secondary display to 800x600(which is minimun resolution) but my output
tv-out output is still 1024x768

Old September 26th 03, 08:17 PM
Ben Pope

James wrote:
Hmm my current settings is theatre mod. My monitor is set to 1280x1024 and
the secondary display to 800x600(which is minimun resolution) but my
output tv-out output is still 1024x768

So what do you see on the tv? The primary or the secondary display?

Ben

Old September 26th 03, 11:25 PM
Ben Pope

James wrote:
"Ben Pope" wrote in message
James wrote:
Hmm my current settings is theatre mod. My monitor is set to 1280x1024
and the secondary display to 800x600(which is minimun resolution) but my
output tv-out output is still 1024x768

So what do you see on the tv? The primary or the secondary display?

Secondary on tv out

OK, I'm totally confused.

I've just set mine up... I can set the res to either 800x600 or 1024x768 and
that seems to appear on my monitor, at that res.

In the displays section of the advanced display control panel (with me?)
I've got Monitor set up as display 1, TV as display 2, FPD disabled. TV is
set to PAL I (I've just set it to United Kingdom). I've extended my desktop
onto the secondary display and the monitor driver is "default monitor" (I
think... it could be "plug and play monitor" - who knows... I have both on
the secondary display).

Ben

Old September 26th 03, 11:29 PM
Angela Kahealani

James wrote:

I got me self a radeon 9700 pro - Evil commando2 from Powercolor.
Its got at Tv out what works fine.
The only problem is that the minimum output resolution is 1024
Ofcause I could just lower my monitor resolution but how cool is it with a
800x600 on a 19' monitor.
So is there any of u who know how u can lower your tv-out resolution (to
800x600 or maybe 640x480) while keeping your original monitor resolution
(1280x1024) ??
It seems impossible with the original drivers/software but maybe there is
some software out there that can fix the problem who knows ??
I want to capture the tv-out with a VCR while im playing one of my games so
NO! I can't just lower the resolution to 800x600 cause i can't play with
such a low resolution.

What does your XF-86Config file for this look like?

--
Copyright 2003 Angela Kahealani. All rights reserved without prejudice;
UCC1-207. All information and transactions are non negotiable and are
Old September 27th 03, 12:07 PM
Skid

"James" wrote in message
I got me self a radeon 9700 pro - Evil commando2 from Powercolor.
Its got at Tv out what works fine.
The only problem is that the minimum output resolution is 1024
Ofcause I could just lower my monitor resolution but how cool is it with a
800x600 on a 19' monitor.
So is there any of u who know how u can lower your tv-out resolution (to
800x600 or maybe 640x480) while keeping your original monitor resolution
(1280x1024) ??
It seems impossible with the original drivers/software but maybe there is
some software out there that can fix the problem who knows ??
I want to capture the tv-out with a VCR while im playing one of my games

so
NO! I can't just lower the resolution to 800x600 cause i can't play with
such a low resolution.

I have the same settings and no problems here.

I run my 19" Viewsonic at 1280x1024 and clone to a 21" TV at 1024x768. Using
theater mode in overlay, I watch DVDs full screen on the TV while in a box
on the monitor so I can do other things at the same time.

I can also record game sessions on my VCR, and use them to polish my skills
in NASCAR 2003, among others. It works at any resolution, but fits the
screen best if I match the game rez to the TV rez. So I play at 1024x768
with 4X AA and 8X AF for the best combo of eye candy and framerates.

What, exactly, are you trying to do that doesn't work?

Old September 27th 03, 03:28 PM
Ben Pope

James wrote:
I got me self a radeon 9700 pro - Evil commando2 from Powercolor.
Its got at Tv out what works fine.
The only problem is that the minimum output resolution is 1024
Ofcause I could just lower my monitor resolution but how cool is it with a
800x600 on a 19' monitor.
So is there any of u who know how u can lower your tv-out resolution (to
800x600 or maybe 640x480) while keeping your original monitor resolution
(1280x1024) ??
It seems impossible with the original drivers/software but maybe there is
some software out there that can fix the problem who knows ??
I want to capture the tv-out with a VCR while im playing one of my games
so NO! I can't just lower the resolution to 800x600 cause i can't play
with such a low resolution.

Sorry... I'm totally with you now.

When in theatre mode (playing a video) the output to the TV is 640x480 and
when not playing a video, the tv output is 1024x768, with a scrolling window
over actual desktop size.

1024x768 is the maximum resolution of my tv device, regardles of the monitor
driver I have installed (I presume thats PAL I for ya').

However, games aren't overlays so the clone mode doesn't matter.

What you effectively want is for the TV output to by dynamically scaled so
that whatever resolution you play your games in, it gets scaled to the TV
out resolution (whatever that is... I seem to get 640x480 in theatre mode
(whilst displaying an overlay - video), 1024x768 otherwise) and you see the
whole game on the TV rather than the top left, correct?

Ben