Asus P3V133 & Geforce2MX 200/64Mb

Old January 17th 04, 12:32 PM
Brenton Pettitt

Default Asus P3V133 & Geforce2MX 200/64Mb

Hi,

I want to upgrade my P3V133 motherboard with the Geforce 2MX 200/64Mb
graphics card.

I haven't tried running the board yet as I am somewhat apprehensive about
compatibility. My motherboard has an AGP slot with only 2 segments ie., the
slot has only one partition ( incidentallty it's AGP X 2). The Geforce2MX
200 has 3 segments which suggests to me that the slot it should be using a
multiple partitions slot. Is that so.?

I'm not fussed running x4 in a x2 slot - its the voltage & power
requirements I'm concerned about.

The card fits without any problem in my Asus AGP slot (not game to power up
yet!) but Im wondering if that is a sufficient criteria to safely run the
board. Naturally I don't want to damage my motherboard.! My motherboard has
an I/O Voltage setting jumper (VIO) but altering this to "test" affects the
voltage supplied to the DRAM, chipset, AGP, and the CPU's I/O buffer. The
manual indicates that setting to "test" may reduce system life and
recommends leaving it on the normal setting. I am loathe to play around with
it. My view is that either the graphics card is compatible or not and thats
it.!

My research on the net indicates that there are a number of different
motherboard AGP slot configurations-some run at 1.5V others at 3.3V and the
latest at 0.8V, with a variety of internal partitions and positions in the
slots.

The memory for my motherboard uses 3.3v and I presume this means the AGP
also utilizes this value voltage signal although there seems to be a
suggestion that this graphics card uses multiple voltages.?

The main criteria for compatibility seems to be twofold viz.,

signaling voltages supplied/required

power requirements of graphics card

I might be worrying about nothing, nevertheless, I would greatly appreciate
your views on whether this graphics card is compatible with the Asus P3V133
mobo in terms of signal voltages and power requirements given, of course,
that appropriate 4 in 1 Nvidia drivers are used and the bios is set up for
optimum performance.

I would be grateful for any help to at least give me the confidence to power
up my system with this graphics card in the knowledge that doing so will
not have disatrous results.

Thanks

Old January 17th 04, 01:42 PM
kony

On Sat, 17 Jan 2004 23:02:43 +1030, "Brenton Pettitt"
wrote:

Hi,

I want to upgrade my P3V133 motherboard with the Geforce 2MX 200/64Mb
graphics card.

snip

Yes, it is backwards compatible, can use your 3.3V AGP1 slot albeit at
the lower transfer rate as mentioned. Some older boards have trouble
supplying enough power but an MX card is relatively low-powered, the
board should be ok so long as your system power supply is adequate
(again, an MX card isn't much of a power challenge but if it was
barely making the grade already, "anything" might be one upgrade too
many). In other words, odds are it'll be an easy drop-in replacement.
Old January 18th 04, 02:16 AM
Brenton Pettitt

Hi,

But do we definitely know if this is a 1.5v or 3.3v card of if it uses a
multiple power supply. This seems to be the crux of the isssue if I want to
avoid frying something

Backward compatibility is not in question.

Old January 18th 04, 03:28 AM
kony

On Sun, 18 Jan 2004 12:46:28 +1030, "Brenton Pettitt"
wrote:

Hi,

But do we definitely know if this is a 1.5v or 3.3v card of if it uses a
multiple power supply. This seems to be the crux of the isssue if I want to
avoid frying something

Backward compatibility is not in question.

What exactly do you think backwards compatibility means then?
It will work if the other issues i mentioned, aren't a problem. The
issues you mention, are non-issues.
Old January 18th 04, 10:08 AM
jamotto

"Brenton Pettitt" wrote in message ...
[...]

I think this web site will answer all your questions
http://www.ertyu.org/~steven_nikkel/...atibility.html

I need to replace a bad Asus A7V motherboard David Cook General 1 October 31st 03 01:40 AM
Asus Vs. Intel mobo Dan J.S. General 4 September 21st 03 02:07 AM
Asus A7V333 rev. 1.02 + AMD XP1800+ Jean General 0 September 6th 03 08:57 PM
Asus Gf4 4200ti vs. generic vs. Asus fx5200 Bob Knowlden General 8 August 9th 03 04:59 AM
What about ASUS and ECS motherboards? [email protected] General 6 July 26th 03 11:56 PM