Question about flat panel monitor contrast ratio.

Old January 15th 04, 09:54 PM
Dan

Default Question about flat panel monitor contrast ratio.

A friend is buying a new Dell pc, and has a choice between a 17" flat panel
monitor with a contrast ratio of 400:1, and an upgraded one costing $80 more
with a contrast ratio of 600:1. She uses the pc mostly for word processing,
internet, etc., no intensive imaging or the like (she's 65 years old). Is
she likely to appreciate the image difference of these 2 monitors?

TIA

Dan

Old January 15th 04, 10:52 PM
Noozer

"Dan" wrote in message
A friend is buying a new Dell pc, and has a choice between a 17" flat

panel
monitor with a contrast ratio of 400:1, and an upgraded one costing $80

more
with a contrast ratio of 600:1. She uses the pc mostly for word

processing,
internet, etc., no intensive imaging or the like (she's 65 years old). Is
she likely to appreciate the image difference of these 2 monitors?

Personally, I'd spend the extra money.

One other consideration... what is the display lag? 25ms or more will cause
problems when scrolling, etc.

Old January 15th 04, 11:06 PM
shatara

I would opt not to upgrade. Like you mentioned she is not going to use it
for any intense software programs such as adobe photoshop or any video
editing software. Save 80 bucks and go out on a nice dinner ;-)

Old January 15th 04, 11:54 PM
CBFalconer

Dan wrote:

A friend is buying a new Dell pc, and has a choice between a 17" flat panel
monitor with a contrast ratio of 400:1, and an upgraded one costing $80 more
with a contrast ratio of 600:1. She uses the pc mostly for word processing,
internet, etc., no intensive imaging or the like (she's 65 years old). Is
she likely to appreciate the image difference of these 2 monitors?

I rather doubt such a _young_ woman will find a major difference.
But focus and display size are likely to have an effect.

--
Chuck F ) )
http://cbfalconer.home.att.net USE worldnet address!

Old January 15th 04, 11:55 PM
Wayne Morgan

For the person you mention, I would be more worried about a different spec
on the monitor. What is the native resolution of each? There is a good
chance that someone that age won't want a very high resolution monitor
because everything will be too small for them at the higher resolution and
LCD displays don't look as good as they should if you run them at other than
their native resolution.

--
Wayne Morgan

Old January 16th 04, 12:28 AM
Dan

25ms will cause problems when scrolling?!?!!!?!?!?!?!???!?

No way. I hear that all the time with 25ms. I have one and run serveral
computers with times from 30ms+ , 25ms and 16ms (the newest one). Even the
worst one we have has no problems scolling. Sure 3D games ghost on the 30ms+
but even my 25ms does not ghost. Dispite many people telling me that it
will, it doesnt and never has. And yes, my comp is more than fast enough to
produce high frame rates.

Old January 16th 04, 12:40 AM
Dan

Thanks for the replies, very helpful. The stated resolution of each is
1280x1024. I know I run my 17" crt at 1024x768, and *I* find 1280x1024
AWFULLY small. So you're saying then that flat panels are not as amenable
to operation at other than their spec'd resolution? What is the effect of
doing so? Would you say she'd be better of with a 17" CRT?

Thanks for the input!

Dan

y.com...

Old January 16th 04, 12:43 AM
Dan

A little confusing here, I'm the OP and a different "Dan" ;-)

The speed of each is 25ms. I thought this was sufficient except for gaming?
No?

Thanks for the continued replies,

Dan (the OP ;-)

nk.net...

Old January 16th 04, 04:36 AM
Dan

25ms is more than suffcient for what you are using it for.

Dan (not the OP)

"Dan" wrote in message
A little confusing here, I'm the OP and a different "Dan" ;-)

The speed of each is 25ms. I thought this was sufficient except for

gaming?
No?

Thanks for the continued replies,

Dan (the OP ;-)

nk.net...

Old January 16th 04, 06:12 AM
shatara

some is a little to geeky when it comes to monitors the normal person, im
guessin 99.9% of computer users, would not even notice a difference

ink.net...

"Dan" wrote in message
A little confusing here, I'm the OP and a different "Dan" ;-)

The speed of each is 25ms. I thought this was sufficient except for

gaming?
No?

Thanks for the continued replies,

Dan (the OP ;-)