A7N8X Deluxe - a few questions

Old July 3rd 03, 05:40 PM
Jon Hume

Default A7N8X Deluxe - a few questions

I recently got an A7N8X Deluxe board and it is working pretty well..

A7N8X Deluxe (rev 2.0 bios 1003)
2 sticks 512M 3200 Samsung RAM
2800+ cpu (using 200 fsb at 10.5x with ram set to 100%)
2 WD 120G 8M cache HD's

.. sometimes when I boot into WinXP, the 2nd drive is not visible in
Windows (I have the drives on the same IDE channel, one master, one
slave)... when I reboot, it solves the problem

.. sometimes when I leave several apps opened over night, the pc slows
to a crawl by morning... I am able to close the apps, but the pc is
still very slow until I reboot.. apps like newsbin, outlook ie, etc...
nothing intrense like video editing...

.. In general, is it better to have the 2 Hard Drives on the same
channel or different channels? (for HD performance)

.. I see that bios 1005 is available - think I should go for it?
Old July 3rd 03, 06:46 PM
Ken Kauffman

"Jon Hume" wrote in message

I recently got an A7N8X Deluxe board and it is working pretty well..

A7N8X Deluxe (rev 2.0 bios 1003)
2 sticks 512M 3200 Samsung RAM
2800+ cpu (using 200 fsb at 10.5x with ram set to 100%)
2 WD 120G 8M cache HD's

. sometimes when I boot into WinXP, the 2nd drive is not visible in
Windows (I have the drives on the same IDE channel, one master, one
slave)... when I reboot, it solves the problem

. sometimes when I leave several apps opened over night, the pc slows
to a crawl by morning... I am able to close the apps, but the pc is
still very slow until I reboot.. apps like newsbin, outlook ie, etc...
nothing intrense like video editing...

. In general, is it better to have the 2 Hard Drives on the same
channel or different channels? (for HD performance)

. I see that bios 1005 is available - think I should go for it?

check resources. I believe Newsbin has a lot of versions with memory leaks.
I've had problems with resources and newsbin in the past. good program
overall though.

ken k

Old July 3rd 03, 10:06 PM
Jon Hume

it looks like the bios sees both drives everytime... they are both
NTFS... sometimes (rarely) windows just does not list the 2nd
drive...

as for newsbin (v4.12.4178), I really like the program and I have
noticed that it bleeds ram when it is left opened for a long time.. so
I did think this was my problem, but exiting the program does not seem
to clearup the resources..

On Thu, 3 Jul 2003 18:49:11 +0100, "rstlne" wrote:

"Jon Hume" wrote in message
.. .

I recently got an A7N8X Deluxe board and it is working pretty well..

A7N8X Deluxe (rev 2.0 bios 1003)
2 sticks 512M 3200 Samsung RAM
2800+ cpu (using 200 fsb at 10.5x with ram set to 100%)
2 WD 120G 8M cache HD's

. sometimes when I boot into WinXP, the 2nd drive is not visible in
Windows (I have the drives on the same IDE channel, one master, one
slave)... when I reboot, it solves the problem

. sometimes when I leave several apps opened over night, the pc slows
to a crawl by morning... I am able to close the apps, but the pc is
still very slow until I reboot.. apps like newsbin, outlook ie, etc...
nothing intrense like video editing...

. In general, is it better to have the 2 Hard Drives on the same
channel or different channels? (for HD performance)

. I see that bios 1005 is available - think I should go for it?

Is your bios picking it up?...
I had a "problem" installing a 2nt hard drive on mine also, I had to install
one, make sure the bios had it saved, then install the 2nt one, both at one
time just made it halt..
Also, What format is on the new drive, and what format is on the old drive..
are you sure it's a partition that XP can read?

Old July 3rd 03, 10:33 PM
rstlne

it looks like the bios sees both drives everytime... they are both
NTFS... sometimes (rarely) windows just does not list the 2nd
drive...

Well, I am glad to hear that this isnt only me, as my cdrw gets lost
sometimes too!!
As for your earlier question, both on same or both on different, Ithik
that's down to what you use more, if you use both drives tons, and move
resources from drive to drive then move the drives to seperate cables
but if you burn cd's often, then you need your CDRW to be on a seperate one
from the hard drive.. (for best speed at least)

as for newsbin (v4.12.4178), I really like the program and I have
noticed that it bleeds ram when it is left opened for a long time.. so
I did think this was my problem, but exiting the program does not seem
to clearup the resources..

I would have no clue on this (sorry)..

Old July 3rd 03, 10:49 PM
Jon Hume

In general, I have the OS and my data files on the 1st drive and
installed programs on the 2nd drive ... I do burn quite a few cd's....
works fine

Old July 4th 03, 04:37 AM
bp

On Thu, 03 Jul 2003 21:06:35 GMT, Jon Hume wrote:

as for newsbin (v4.12.4178), I really like the program and I have
noticed that it bleeds ram when it is left opened for a long time.. so
I did think this was my problem, but exiting the program does not seem
to clearup the resources..

If Newsbin isn't releasing it's resources then all that used up ram
will still be used up until you reboot.