Installing 3COM Ethernet card on XP

Old September 12th 03, 07:27 PM
Pen

Default Installing 3COM Ethernet card on XP

Vance's point was that what you downloaded weren't Xp
files. Normally one would just right click the INF file
and select install, but it doesn't appear any of those files
are for XP.

"Vance Roos" wrote in message
I am trying to install a 3COM Ethernet or network card. XP
detects that it is a model 3C905 - which it is.

I downloaded some files from 3COM's website which expanded to
many files. One text file says these following files are the
"NDIS driver files for Windows 95/98/Me and Windows NT/Windows
2000".

EL90XND5.SY_
EL90XND4.SY_
EL90XND3.SY_
EL90XBC3.SY_
EL90XBC4.SY_
EL90XBC5.SY_

There are also the following files referred to as "Windows
95/98/Me and Windows NT/Windows 2000 OEM import and installation
files" :

OEMSETUP.INF
W9X90XBC.INF
W9XEL90X.INF
NETDI90X.DLL

How do I use any of these files to install the latest driver
for my 3C905 card?

"dave" wrote:

the simple answer is you don't.
The files mentioned below are not XP drivers.

If your card is working then the drivers supplied with
Windows are the correct drivers.
If the card is not working then you should first of all
try the Windows Update (on control pannel) and then the
manufacturers site for newer XP drivers.

Unfortunately the 3Com online User Guide for my network card does

not
agree with what you say. The Guide says says ...

----QUOTE ----
Windows XP, Windows 2000, and Windows Me

After you have physically installed the NIC in the PC and connected
it to the network, as described in Chapter 2, follow the steps below
to install the driver and NIC software.

1 Turn on the power to the PC. Windows detects the NIC and installs
the driver. The driver that ships with Windows needs to be updated

the latest version on the EtherCD.

2 After Windows starts, insert the EtherCD in the CD-ROM drive.
---- END QUOTE ----

Unfortunately I do not have the so-called "EtherCD" so I asked about
the files which I could download.

Old September 13th 03, 12:58 AM
~misfit~

"Martin C.E." wrote in message
[...]

You probably don't need the latest drivers. I have several 3Com 3C905 based
cards and I just put 'em in and let XP handle the drivers. They work just
fine.
--
~misfit~

---

Old September 13th 03, 01:03 AM
Jeff

I have the 3C905B installed with XP drivers and its working fine. Mine found
the card after I installed it with the windows drivers.

. ..