Quake 4 and slow performance

Old February 13th 06, 11:20 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action

Default Quake 4 and slow performance

Hi, I was just planning on writing a similar post.
I've got an Athlon XP 2500+ with 1gb RAM and a ATI Radeon 9800. I
could play Half Life2, Doom3, Fear, everything with excellent
performance.
Quake IV however, is the first game on my system which runs slow as
hell. Auto-detecting the settings gives me 640x480 with low detail and
this looks bad. And even then the frame-rate could be better. When I
push the settings to 800x600 with medium details it runs as fast as a
turtle. I'm gonna test once more with minimum services in the
background, tweak the settings a little and if things don't change,
I'll remove it from my machine.

Kris

Seeker schreef:

I just downloaded and installed the quake4 demo for windows. My
system is an Athlon XP 2000 with 512 MB RAM and a 6600GT. When I ask
the game to automatically set the video settings for my hardware it
selects low quality, which has a 640x480 resolution among else.

The game runs with a pretty slow performance when there are enemies
on screen.

Will upgrading my RAM or CPU enable me to play this game and enjoy it
or should I pay an arm and a leg?

Old February 13th 06, 12:49 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action

Walter Mitty wrote:
I've got an Athlon XP 2500+ with 1gb RAM and a ATI Radeon 9800. I
could play Half Life2, Doom3, Fear, everything with excellent
performance.
Quake IV however, is the first game on my system which runs slow as
hell.

I had the same except with an Athlon XP 3200+ until recently. I only
played the Quake IV demo but it seemed to run as well as Doom III had
done on the same machine, i.e. 1024x768 medium-ish detail. Got to be
driver related.
Old February 13th 06, 10:05 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action

""One Punch" Mickey" wrote in message
Walter Mitty wrote:
I've got an Athlon XP 2500+ with 1gb RAM and a ATI Radeon 9800. I
could play Half Life2, Doom3, Fear, everything with excellent
performance.
Quake IV however, is the first game on my system which runs slow as
hell.

I had the same except with an Athlon XP 3200+ until recently. I only
played the Quake IV demo but it seemed to run as well as Doom III had done
on the same machine, i.e. 1024x768 medium-ish detail. Got to be driver
related.

I have an Athlon XP 2400+ 1GB ram Nvidia FX5900, I can play both Doom3 and
Quake4 @ 1024X768 at around 40-50fps, Quake4 exhibits some slow down in the
larger areas if theres alot going on but is still reasonably playable on
medium settings

Old February 14th 06, 05:25 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action

Quake IV didn't look too good on my 9800 Pro either. I got an X850XT though
and the game looks noticeably better at higher rez, AA and AF. I only have a
Mobile Barton at 2550 and 2GB RAM.

--
Doug
ups.com...