Simplest and most reliable printer for an iMac?

Old January 2nd 10, 04:29 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers,comp.sys.mac.hardware.misc,comp.sys.mac.misc
John Brock

Default Simplest and most reliable printer for an iMac?

My siblings and I bought our 80-some year old mother a new iMac
for Christmas, and her Epson Stylus Color 740 -- unsupported by
Snow Leopard -- is now junk. So we'd like to hear recommendations
for a new printer.

We're not interested in speed or ultra-high quality photos or
multi-function; we're looking for robustness and simplicity above
all. We'd like our mother to be able to change the ink cartridges
by herself! Beyond that, we're looking for a major brand with good
OS X support, and not overly expensive (especially the ink). Under
$200 certainly, and under $100 would be nice. Given these criteria,
what would be the best choice?
--
John Brock

Old January 2nd 10, 04:34 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers,comp.sys.mac.hardware.misc,comp.sys.mac.misc
TaliesinSoft

On Fri, 1 Jan 2010 22:29:02 -0600, John Brock wrote (in article
):

My siblings and I bought our 80-some year old mother a new iMac for
Christmas, and her Epson Stylus Color 740 -- unsupported by Snow Leopard
-- is now junk. So we'd like to hear recommendations for a new printer.

We're not interested in speed or ultra-high quality photos or
multi-function; we're looking for robustness and simplicity above all.
We'd like our mother to be able to change the ink cartridges by herself!
Beyond that, we're looking for a major brand with good OS X support, and
not overly expensive (especially the ink). Under $200 certainly, and
under $100 would be nice. Given these criteria, what would be the best
choice?

I have two Canon MP-470 printers and they have performed flawlessly for
several years. I believe Canon now markets what is essentially an
updated/improved version. The MP-470 is a combination printer, scanner, and
copier. It uses two easily replaced ink cartridges, one black and one color.
The printer can be purchased for around $100. I'm using Snow Leopard without
anyl printer problems.

--
James Leo Ryan --- Austin, Texas ---

Old January 2nd 10, 05:03 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers,comp.sys.mac.hardware.misc,comp.sys.mac.misc
John McWilliams

TaliesinSoft wrote:
[...]

.....But that's Multi function, which I'd also avoid for my Mom were I
getting one for her.

Pretty much Epson or Canon in my experience, but printer models change
so rapidly I don't know what to suggest for a specific model, esp how
easy it is or isn't to change carts.

My Mac store stopped putting printers out for a while now, but Office
Max/Depot usually has a shelf or two of them. There you could see for
yourself the access process.

==
--
john mcwilliams
Old January 2nd 10, 05:45 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers,comp.sys.mac.hardware.misc,comp.sys.mac.misc
erilar

In article ,
John McWilliams wrote:

My Mac store stopped putting printers out for a while now, but Office
Max/Depot usually has a shelf or two of them. There you could see for
yourself the access process.

I went to the local Office Max and browsed their offerings before buying
my new Epson.

--
Erilar, biblioholic medievalist

http://www.chibardun.net/~erilarlo
Old January 2nd 10, 06:22 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers,comp.sys.mac.hardware.misc,comp.sys.mac.misc
TaliesinSoft

On Fri, 1 Jan 2010 23:03:50 -0600, John McWilliams wrote (in article
):

I have two Canon MP-470 printers and they have performed flawlessly for
several years. I believe Canon now markets what is essentially an
updated/improved version. The MP-470 is a combination printer, scanner,
and copier. It uses two easily replaced ink cartridges, one black and one
color. The printer can be purchased for around $100. I'm using Snow
Leopard without anyl printer problems.

....But that's Multi function, which I'd also avoid for my Mom were I
getting one for her.

Agreed it is a multi-function. I got one for my older brother (also 80+) and
the thing he ended up using the most was the copying capability.

--
James Leo Ryan --- Austin, Texas ---

Old January 2nd 10, 10:03 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers,comp.sys.mac.hardware.misc,comp.sys.mac.misc
Ronnie Lee

In article ET,
TaliesinSoft wrote:

On Fri, 1 Jan 2010 22:29:02 -0600, John Brock wrote (in article
):

My siblings and I bought our 80-some year old mother a new iMac for
Christmas, and her Epson Stylus Color 740 -- unsupported by Snow Leopard
-- is now junk. So we'd like to hear recommendations for a new printer.

We're not interested in speed or ultra-high quality photos or
multi-function; we're looking for robustness and simplicity above all.
We'd like our mother to be able to change the ink cartridges by herself!
Beyond that, we're looking for a major brand with good OS X support, and
not overly expensive (especially the ink). Under $200 certainly, and
under $100 would be nice. Given these criteria, what would be the best
choice?

If you should decide on a laser printer Newegg has recertified Brother
models HL-2140 (USB connection) & Hl-2170w (USB, wired ethernet &
wireless) for $89.99 and $99.99 respectively, both with $30 rebates if
purchased before 3/31/09.
Old January 2nd 10, 10:06 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers,comp.sys.mac.hardware.misc,comp.sys.mac.misc
Ronnie Lee

In article ,
Ronnie Lee wrote:

In article ET,
TaliesinSoft wrote:

[...]

Should of course be 3/31/10
Old January 2nd 10, 10:06 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers,comp.sys.mac.hardware.misc,comp.sys.mac.misc
John McWilliams

Ronnie Lee wrote:
In article ET,
TaliesinSoft wrote:

[...]

'10?

Do you have said machine? how many pages before you have to buy a new
toner cart.?

--
john mcwilliams
Old January 2nd 10, 10:15 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers,comp.sys.mac.hardware.misc,comp.sys.mac.misc
Ronnie Lee

In article ,
John McWilliams wrote:

Ronnie Lee wrote:
In article ET,
TaliesinSoft wrote:

[...]

I just received the HL-2170W on 12/29/09. Time from out of box to
working on a wired ethernet network was about 20 minutes for two
computers. The manual says the starter toner cart prints 1000 pages. New
carts are 1500 page standard or 2600 page high yield.

From what I have seen they are not overly expensive. So far I am happy
with my choice.
Old January 2nd 10, 04:50 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers,comp.sys.mac.hardware.misc,comp.sys.mac.misc
nospam

In article , John Brock
wrote:

My siblings and I bought our 80-some year old mother a new iMac
for Christmas, and her Epson Stylus Color 740 -- unsupported by
Snow Leopard -- is now junk. So we'd like to hear recommendations
for a new printer.

We're not interested in speed or ultra-high quality photos or
multi-function; we're looking for robustness and simplicity above
all. We'd like our mother to be able to change the ink cartridges
by herself! Beyond that, we're looking for a major brand with good
OS X support, and not overly expensive (especially the ink). Under
$200 certainly, and under $100 would be nice. Given these criteria,
what would be the best choice?

pretty much any printer you'll find in a store is fine, however, the
ink will be expensive no matter what you get. that's how they make
money. you can sometimes buy a replacement printer with ink for *less*
than just buying ink for an existing printer. also, stay away from
cheap generic knock off inks since they tend to clog.