Too many different AS500 sound bars!

Old June 16th 05, 02:18 PM
Tony Mountifield

Default Too many different AS500 sound bars!

I want to buy an AS500 sound bar to go with the 2005FPW I will be buying
from Dell UK. It appears that there are several different product codes,
listing different sets of compatibilities:

520-10260, 520-10263, 520-10273, 520-10285, 520-10289.

Does anyone know what the technical differences between them are?

I will be using mine with the 2005FPW connected to a D-Port hosting
a Precision M70 (1680x1050). Can anyone advise which AS500 I need?

Thanks in advance
Tony
--
Tony Mountifield
Work: - http://www.softins.co.uk
Old June 16th 05, 02:35 PM
Notan

Tony Mountifield wrote:

I want to buy an AS500 sound bar to go with the 2005FPW I will be buying
from Dell UK. It appears that there are several different product codes,
listing different sets of compatibilities:

520-10260, 520-10263, 520-10273, 520-10285, 520-10289.

Does anyone know what the technical differences between them are?

I will be using mine with the 2005FPW connected to a D-Port hosting
a Precision M70 (1680x1050). Can anyone advise which AS500 I need?

Why not give Dell a call?

Notan
Old June 16th 05, 02:57 PM
Tony Mountifield

In article , Notan wrote:
Tony Mountifield wrote:

I want to buy an AS500 sound bar to go with the 2005FPW I will be buying
from Dell UK. It appears that there are several different product codes,
listing different sets of compatibilities:

520-10260, 520-10263, 520-10273, 520-10285, 520-10289.

Does anyone know what the technical differences between them are?

I will be using mine with the 2005FPW connected to a D-Port hosting
a Precision M70 (1680x1050). Can anyone advise which AS500 I need?

Why not give Dell a call?

Because I don't have confidence that the person at the other end of the
phone line will know any more than I can find out from the website, i.e.
they will just quote the compatibility lists, which don't seem to
include the configuration I want.

I have sent them an email enquiry, to which I am awaiting a reply, and
hopefully that will give them time to find a real answer.

In the meantime, I figured there might be people here with first-hand
experience who could give a reliable answer!

I can't imagine what might be different between the different models;
after all they are just speakers with a power input, a 3.5mm stereo jack
audio input and a couple of mounting screws, aren't they?

Cheers
Tony
Old June 16th 05, 03:09 PM
Notan

Tony Mountifield wrote:

In article , Notan wrote:
Tony Mountifield wrote:

[...]

It's not uncommon for the same part to have different part numbers,
or for parts to change part numbers.

By calling Dell, you just have to ask for "an AS500 for a 20005FPW,"
and let *them* figure the rest out.

Notan
Old June 16th 05, 03:10 PM
Tony Mountifield

In article , I wrote:
In article , Notan wrote:
Tony Mountifield wrote:

I want to buy an AS500 sound bar to go with the 2005FPW I will be buying
from Dell UK. It appears that there are several different product codes,
listing different sets of compatibilities:

520-10260, 520-10263, 520-10273, 520-10285, 520-10289.

Does anyone know what the technical differences between them are?

I will be using mine with the 2005FPW connected to a D-Port hosting
a Precision M70 (1680x1050). Can anyone advise which AS500 I need?

Why not give Dell a call?

Because I don't have confidence that the person at the other end of the
phone line will know any more than I can find out from the website, i.e.
they will just quote the compatibility lists, which don't seem to
include the configuration I want.

OK, I thought I would try calling them anyway. Waste of time!

The Indian guy on the other end tried telling me there was not a sound
bar compatible with the 2005FPW (even though the brochure says it takes
one, and even though some resellers sell them together).

When I queried it, he spoke to his supervisor, and still came back with
the same story. Stupid droid!

So if anyone here know the real answer, I'd be very grateful!

Cheers
Tony
Old June 16th 05, 03:23 PM
Tony Mountifield

In article , Notan wrote:

By calling Dell, you just have to ask for "an AS500 for a 20005FPW,"
and let *them* figure the rest out.

Yeh, just tried that, as you'll have seen from my other post :-(

Cheers
Tony
Old June 16th 05, 03:25 PM
Notan

Tony Mountifield wrote:

The Indian guy on the other end tried telling me there was not a sound
bar compatible with the 2005FPW (even though the brochure says it takes
one, and even though some resellers sell them together).

snip

I found two references for the AS500 at http://tinyurl.com/az4r9,
neither of which makes any reference to the 2005FPW.

You *could* take a chance on the one made for the 2001FP...

Notan
Old June 16th 05, 04:04 PM
Monica

I swear! Sometimes I think with a day, maybe two, of training,
kindergarteners could do better with tech support than what Dell is offering
Yes, there is a sound bar that fits (no screws necessary) on the 2005FPW
Ultra Sharp. I have both and here is a picture. However, the monitor is in
"portrait mode" in this example so the sound bar will be on the left side
instead of the bottom. Just turn your head to the right to look at it go
Monica
http://www.pbase.com/monicakm/image/43798596

BTW, this sound bar came with the Dell 5650 5.1 Surround Sound Speakers
System with Subwoofer

Old June 16th 05, 04:06 PM
Monica

And spell checker could use some improvement too LOL That go was
supposed to simply be a g

Old June 16th 05, 04:09 PM
Bill Joy

Despite the various model numbers, there is only one AS500 sound bar. There
are two variants: with and without a power adapter. The 2005FPW has the
necessary power connector, so you do NOT need the power adapter.

A better place to get information about Dell hardware are the message boards
at

http://delltalk.us.dell.com/