9800 Pro: Vertical Bars on Screen

Old May 8th 05, 10:42 PM
IMA

Default 9800 Pro: Vertical Bars on Screen

Well it looks like my 9800 Pro 128 is going back to ATI. This will be my
2nd bad 9800 Pro.
Before I send it back, is their anything I can look for or do to repair this
myself?

You can see a pic at http://tinyurl.com/brx9y

RT

Old May 9th 05, 02:25 AM
glamart

A long shot, but it looks like that you may have files from an old
driver being used with a later driver. Since having 2 bad boards is
rare, you might try uninstalling all of the ATI Catalyst and driver
software, then do a registry search to find any remnants and delete
them. Reinstall with Catalyst 5.4. I have found sometime that you
have to re-install just the driver, over the new driver, using the
Catalyst setup (not the driver setup) to get the Windows settings to
come back (no clue why this works).
I know that removing the driver trashes your desktop unless you can
save it. I use a freeware prog: Icon_Save, to save my desktop before
removing video drivers.
Good Luck!

Old May 9th 05, 03:28 AM
Advanced Primate

I should of mentioned all was well until I turned the computer on this
morning. I have to other OS's all they all exhibit the same problem so
probably not a driver problem.

Tomorrow I'll take the vid board to work and try it there.

Old May 9th 05, 03:01 PM
mhicaoidh

Taking a moment's reflection, Advanced Primate mused:

| I should of mentioned all was well until I turned the computer on this
| morning. I have to other OS's all they all exhibit the same problem
| so probably not a driver problem.

Looks like an issue with the card's RAM ...

Old May 9th 05, 04:15 PM
~Alex~

"mhicaoidh" wrote in message
Taking a moment's reflection, Advanced Primate mused:

| I should of mentioned all was well until I turned the computer on this
| morning. I have to other OS's all they all exhibit the same problem
| so probably not a driver problem.

Looks like an issue with the card's RAM ...

Check out my post from about a month back - Red vertical lines on 9700 pro,
and X-posted to a UK group:
http://tinyurl.com/9rb2v

I thought I'd sorted mine by adding some more thermal paste but after a week
it'd gone back to teh same problems I think you are experiencing... So I've
put it down to a heat problem and am currently using an older ATI card (a
7200 VIVO, so no danger of that getting too hot!) I bought it second hand
(well, refurbished) and the RTB warrantee has run out so the vendor isn't
interested. Because it's been refurbished though i doubt the manufacturer
(Hercules) will help either... They did, however, tell me that an Arctic
Cooling VGA cooler would fit their boards, so maybe they would take it back
as faulty...

Check out my screenshots and see if that's the same thing that is happening
to you anyway, something dodgy must be going on with all these ATI cards...

~A~

Old May 9th 05, 05:47 PM
js

"~Alex~" wrote in message

"mhicaoidh" wrote in message
Taking a moment's reflection, Advanced Primate mused:

| I should of mentioned all was well until I turned the computer on this
| morning. I have to other OS's all they all exhibit the same problem
| so probably not a driver problem.

Looks like an issue with the card's RAM ...

Check out my post from about a month back - Red vertical lines on 9700
pro,
and X-posted to a UK group:
http://tinyurl.com/9rb2v

I thought I'd sorted mine by adding some more thermal paste but after a
week
it'd gone back to teh same problems I think you are experiencing... So
I've
put it down to a heat problem and am currently using an older ATI card (a
7200 VIVO, so no danger of that getting too hot!) I bought it second hand
(well, refurbished) and the RTB warrantee has run out so the vendor isn't
interested. Because it's been refurbished though i doubt the manufacturer
(Hercules) will help either... They did, however, tell me that an Arctic
Cooling VGA cooler would fit their boards, so maybe they would take it
back
as faulty...

Check out my screenshots and see if that's the same thing that is
happening
to you anyway, something dodgy must be going on with all these ATI
cards...

~A~

This only gets better. I took the card to work and installed it. First it
worked the same as home, with very similar vertical bars and artificts.
After 5 minutes it's back to normal. Another 5 minutes go buy and it starts
all over again.

So I'm guessing heat issue, it's air conditioned here at work. I have an
Artic Cooler which I should try on card. Perhaps the fan is bad or not
spinning fast enough.

Old May 16th 05, 06:33 AM

| I should of mentioned all was well until I turned the computer on this
| morning. I have to other OS's all they all exhibit the same problem
| so probably not a driver problem.

Looks like an issue with the card's RAM ...

Check out my post from about a month back - Red vertical lines on 9700
pro,
and X-posted to a UK group:
http://tinyurl.com/9rb2v

I thought I'd sorted mine by adding some more thermal paste but after a
week
it'd gone back to teh same problems I think you are experiencing... So
I've
put it down to a heat problem and am currently using an older ATI card (a
7200 VIVO, so no danger of that getting too hot!) I bought it second hand
(well, refurbished) and the RTB warrantee has run out so the vendor isn't
interested. Because it's been refurbished though i doubt the manufacturer
(Hercules) will help either... They did, however, tell me that an Arctic
Cooling VGA cooler would fit their boards, so maybe they would take it
back
as faulty...

Check out my screenshots and see if that's the same thing that is
happening
to you anyway, something dodgy must be going on with all these ATI
cards...

~A~

This only gets better. I took the card to work and installed it. First it
worked the same as home, with very similar vertical bars and artificts.
After 5 minutes it's back to normal. Another 5 minutes go buy and it starts
all over again.

So I'm guessing heat issue, it's air conditioned here at work. I have an
Artic Cooler which I should try on card. Perhaps the fan is bad or not
spinning fast enough.

It sounds like a defective card if it shows the same symptoms on multiple
systems,
--
"You're kissing an ant hill." --Mike Nelson
/\___/\
| |o o| | Ant's Quality Foraged Links: http://aqfl.net
( )
Old May 17th 05, 07:22 AM
GinTonix

kirjoitti viestissä
| I should of mentioned all was well until I turned the computer on

this
| morning. I have to other OS's all they all exhibit the same

problem
| so probably not a driver problem.

Looks like an issue with the card's RAM ...

Check out my post from about a month back - Red vertical lines on 9700
pro,
and X-posted to a UK group:
http://tinyurl.com/9rb2v

I thought I'd sorted mine by adding some more thermal paste but after

week
it'd gone back to teh same problems I think you are experiencing...

So
I've
put it down to a heat problem and am currently using an older ATI card

(a
7200 VIVO, so no danger of that getting too hot!) I bought it second

hand
(well, refurbished) and the RTB warrantee has run out so the vendor

isn't
interested. Because it's been refurbished though i doubt the

manufacturer
(Hercules) will help either... They did, however, tell me that an

Arctic
Cooling VGA cooler would fit their boards, so maybe they would take it
back
as faulty...

Check out my screenshots and see if that's the same thing that is
happening
to you anyway, something dodgy must be going on with all these ATI
cards...

~A~

This only gets better. I took the card to work and installed it. First

it
worked the same as home, with very similar vertical bars and artificts.
After 5 minutes it's back to normal. Another 5 minutes go buy and it

starts
all over again.

So I'm guessing heat issue, it's air conditioned here at work. I have

an
Artic Cooler which I should try on card. Perhaps the fan is bad or not
spinning fast enough.

It sounds like a defective card if it shows the same symptoms on multiple
systems,

How about RF disturbance by the card fan? Well, the Arctic Cooler would fix
that one, too.

gt