Inkjet ink "more expensive than vintage champagne"

Old July 4th 03, 09:53 PM
No-one

Default Inkjet ink "more expensive than vintage champagne"

Old July 4th 03, 11:05 PM
Deathwalker

I read that report. the canon i950 was a best buy for quality speed ease of
use and running costs.

--
Ian Lincoln Independent I.T Consultant

Old July 5th 03, 12:30 AM
Smith

Refill Refill Refill ;-)))

Old July 5th 03, 07:14 AM
John Houghton

"Chan WK" wrote in message
om...
Is there really any point in comparing ink to champagne? They are
different products for different purposes. So what if the IJ ink is
ten times more expensive than champagne?

Fair point. A more relevant comparison is with the price of bulk ink. The
Which report gives an example of the cost of ink in a cartridge as £1.70 per
ml. I use a top quality ink in my CIS that costs £40 for 500ml, which works
out at £0.08 per ml, i.e. a factor of 21 times cheaper. And my 1290 has not
clogged once since I installed the CIS over a year ago.

John

Old July 5th 03, 10:25 AM
Wayne

No-one wrote in message . ..

It reminds me Canon's move with replacing the BCI-3* tanks with
BCI-3e* ones which contain less ink and cost more.

wayne
Old July 5th 03, 02:44 PM
Deathwalker

don p is ridiculously expensive. Yet coloured pigmented water costs more.

--
"Chan WK" wrote in message
om...
Is there really any point in comparing ink to champagne? They are
different products for different purposes. So what if the IJ ink is
ten times more expensive than champagne?

One can also twist it a little further and claim that IJ ink is a
thousand times more expensive than tap water. So does it mean
Canon/HP/Epson should sell their ink for 1 cent per bucket?

No-one wrote in message

. ..

Old July 5th 03, 03:11 PM
Taliesyn

Deathwalker wrote:
don p is ridiculously expensive. Yet coloured pigmented water costs more.

Frankly, I'm surprised some of the more expensive cartridges aren't
"served" in crystal. My Lexmark, for example, with taxes comes to about
$75 Canadian. If I had a love for alcohol I would probably debate
whether the $75 might be better spent on a good bottle. $75 used to be
my week's salary at one time. Bit much for a "bottle" of ink, me thinks.

Compa

1 (individual) colour cartridge for my Canon i850 sells for about $23 in
Canada (before taxes).

1 quality - 8 oz refill bottle (individual) colour sells for $17.50
and will refill about 25 cartridges! Cost per refill = 70 Canadian
cents (taxes and shipping costs not included).

-Taliesyn

Old July 5th 03, 07:34 PM
John Mills

My suggestion...

Try using a fine champagne in your printer
and see what happens.

If you can get a good quality color photo
that has any longevity, use the champagne
instead of ink.

--
John Mills ( )
*comp.periphs.printers FAQ Archive

"Deathwalker" wrote in message
: don p is ridiculously expensive. Yet coloured pigmented water costs more.
:
: --
: "Chan WK" wrote in message
: om...
: Is there really any point in comparing ink to champagne? They are
: different products for different purposes. So what if the IJ ink is
: ten times more expensive than champagne?
:
: One can also twist it a little further and claim that IJ ink is a
: thousand times more expensive than tap water. So does it mean
: Canon/HP/Epson should sell their ink for 1 cent per bucket?
:
:
: No-one wrote in message
: . ..
: http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/54/31569.html
:
:

Old July 5th 03, 08:46 PM
Lee Babcock

Taliesyn wrote:

Deathwalker wrote:
don p is ridiculously expensive. Yet coloured pigmented water costs more.

Frankly, I'm surprised some of the more expensive cartridges aren't
"served" in crystal. My Lexmark, for example, with taxes comes to about
$75 Canadian. If I had a love for alcohol I would probably debate
whether the $75 might be better spent on a good bottle. $75 used to be
my week's salary at one time. Bit much for a "bottle" of ink, me thinks.

Compa

1 (individual) colour cartridge for my Canon i850 sells for about $23 in
Canada (before taxes).

1 quality - 8 oz refill bottle (individual) colour sells for $17.50
and will refill about 25 cartridges! Cost per refill = 70 Canadian
cents (taxes and shipping costs not included).

-Taliesyn

The cost of the cartridges are meaningless unless you look at the volume
of ink in them!
Regards
Lee

Old July 5th 03, 09:22 PM
Taliesyn

Lee Babcock wrote:
Taliesyn wrote:

Deathwalker wrote:

[...]

For you ....

A new cartridge holds about 12 ml of ink - cost $23 Canadian.

250 ml bulk ink, enough to refill about 25 cartridges (because refills
only accept about 10 ml due to residual ink in cartridges), costs
$17.50, or about .70 cents per filling.

-Taliesyn