Dell Inspiron Laptop

Old August 9th 04, 10:22 PM
Irene Gaffigan

Default Dell Inspiron Laptop

Hi,

I have a Dell Inspiron that will be 3 years old in January - I really
didn't use it that much, but now would like to. One day I noticed that all
was not well. It ran slow and I couldn't get the resolution back to where
it has been. I thought it might be spyware, tried a few products and still
no good. We reinstalled Windows and all seemed fine - then the problems
again. I have the extented Warranty and called Dell. Well 2 hours later
after talking to someone in the Phillipines, still no solutions. She told
me I would have to reinstall Windows (which we had done already).

All my desktop icons are very small, so are the fonts, when I go into
Internet Explorer I cannot get it to go full screen. I am not to happy with
Dell - I paid for the extended special Laptop waranty and they will not
help.

Any solutions?

Thanks in advance

Irene

--
All outgoing messages scanned with Norton Antivirus 2004

Irene Corb Gaffigan, CRS
Principal Broker
Farm Town Realty, LLC
e-PRO Certified Internet Professional
Allen F Hainge CyberStar (TM)
231 Depot Street
Proctorsville, VT 05153
Toll Free: (800) 659-1819
Cell: (802) 353-1983
Office : (802) 226-8022
Fax: (802) 706-1000
E-Mail:

Website: http://isellvermontrealestate.com
http://isellvermontrealestate.com/

Old August 9th 04, 10:52 PM
WSZsr

The warranty only covers hardware. It does not include software.

Did you format the hard drive before reinstalling? Did you follow the
instructions for reinstalling the operating system on Dell's website
step-by-step? Chipset drivers? video drivers? etc.

Old August 9th 04, 11:08 PM
Irene Gaffigan

I had someone who was supposed to know what he was doing do it. I do not
think he followed the Dell proceedures. I will find out - I wanted to
format the entire harddrive, but he said not to.

thanks
Irene

news

Old August 9th 04, 11:19 PM
alex

"WSZsr" wrote in message
news
[...]

on my c600 this happend to me
i use the blue keys fn+font key to make it large again
give it a try might be your problem

alex

Old August 10th 04, 06:27 PM
Fixer

Try Fn + F7 key held down together failing that check the resolution
settings in control panel

Old August 12th 04, 10:38 PM
Irene Gaffigan

Thank you all for your help. I called Dell again and this person determined
it was a hardware problem and told me she would call me back with a case
number and a dispatch number to ship back to Dell for them to repair - I had
taken out the laptop exended guarantee. She never called back until much
later and left me a message that she lost my physical address and I should
wait for her call back again within an hour (this was about 6:30PM) I then
called Dell again later that evening, got someone else and found out that my
info was not entered in the computer and the last info they had was that it
was an operating system problem. This person wanted to start all over again
and check out the laptop - I lost it! I asked if I could please speak to
someone in the USA, she replied that I could call back and if I was lucky, I
might get someone from this country.

After me getting very upset, she finally gave me the info I needed to have
the laptop picked up and sent back. It seems to me, that if I paid for
extended care, that is what I should get - I also explained that to her in
no uncertain terms.

I fully intend to write to a higher up in Dell Corporate to, I want them to
explain to me, why when people have no jobs in this country, they have most
of their customer service in India, Philapines or wherever. This will get
me nowhere, but make me feel better.

I have 3 Dells and not sure if I will ever have a 4th.

Irene

what model.

Old August 13th 04, 03:04 AM
Christopher Muto

don't try to pass blame on dell, you bought their low priced extended
warranty and if you didn't bother to ask yourself at the time that you
purchased it how it could be so inexpensive, you now know. if you want to
ensure that you only employ american labor then don't buy their extended
warranty and instead bring your computer to a local shop yourself.

ps. still no mention of the model.
pps.

Old August 13th 04, 11:48 AM
Irene Gaffigan

This model is Inspiron 8100 and I bought it over 3 years ago, at that time
the extended warranty cost approx $200.00 and at that time, I was not aware
that all calls were going to go to India or where ever, as a matter of fact
I believe they were still going to the US.

Irene

Thanks for Michael's e-mail, but in this case I would write a letter and
send it US mail.

Old August 16th 04, 03:50 AM
jim

I agree with you Irene. If you look at the Dell ads o n television you will
se American looking caucasians with the headphones on, not asians or
Indians..... and they ship the jobs overseas because those MEGAMILLION
profitable companies won't to chase every penny they can. Thats why....
JUst why do they not show the true phone support as it really is, because
what they are doing is typical American business practice of bait andswitch.

JIm