FS2004 & ATI

Old July 27th 03, 03:32 PM
Bill

Default FS2004 & ATI

Ok ATI fans I am thinking of jumping ship and coming over from a Geforce 2
MX400 ( no laughing please) :-)

I just got FS2004 and it is really a frame rate hog when flying through
clouds. Its like a slide show. I know my video card is out of date and all
my readings and research point me to the Radeon 9800 128 Pro which has
direct x 9 support. I dont mind shelling out the bucks if it would really
make things better. My AGP port is 4x so would there be a problem or serious
loss of performance since the card is 8x?

Are there any FS2004 fans out there that can comment if this would be a good
move? The rest of my system is a P4 1.9/512RAM/Windows XP

Thanks for any advice.

Bill

Old July 27th 03, 03:42 PM
Dave M

I use 9700pro with 4X. works well with 2002 (2004 enroute) and much better
that ti4600 128 and gefx5600 256 card.

Old July 27th 03, 05:58 PM
JY

"Bill" wrote in message
Ok ATI fans I am thinking of jumping ship and coming over from a Geforce 2
MX400 ( no laughing please) :-)

I just got FS2004 and it is really a frame rate hog when flying through
clouds. Its like a slide show. I know my video card is out of date and all
my readings and research point me to the Radeon 9800 128 Pro which has
direct x 9 support. I dont mind shelling out the bucks if it would really
make things better. My AGP port is 4x so would there be a problem or

serious
loss of performance since the card is 8x?

Are there any FS2004 fans out there that can comment if this would be a

good
move? The rest of my system is a P4 1.9/512RAM/Windows XP

Thanks for any advice.

Bill

You should post this to alt.games.microsoft.filght-sim if you haven't
already. Lots of talk about FS2004.

Old July 27th 03, 09:54 PM
Bill

I was also considering 512 more ram , so I am glad you pointed that out
Many thanks
Bill

"Dr Richard Cranium" wrote in message
. ..
you only lose maybe up to 15% with 4x agp. Evidently there is nothing out

there to take
advantage of agp 8x. Whats that 1 or 2 frames (5 ?).

the fsb's at 400,533,800 only vary by small increases in frame rate

percentages also.
Intel's hyper threading cpu might be the key to fast and higher frame

rates.

You can't go wrong with the ATI 9800pro, I do not have FS2004, i can guess

something from
microsoft gaming side of their house requires the 9800pro AND a 3 + gig

cpu.

On my PC I found in WindowsXp, increasing the memory size to 1 gig

helped quite a bit,
besides the 9800pro.
http://www.smokeypoint.com/My_PC.htm

hope this helps,

** No Fate **

cheers,
dracman
Tomb Raider: Shotgun City
http://www.smokeypoint.com/tomb.htm
http://www.smokeypoint.com/tombraider1pictures.htm
http://www.smokeypoint.com/3dfx.htm
http://www.smokeypoint.com/banshee.html
http://www.smokeypoint.com/My_PC.htm
http://www.smokeypoint.com/tomb2.htm#Tova

NFS: drive at the limits of tyre adhesion ! snag Lara's Croftraider IV

sports car ! !
NFS3:NFS4
http://www.smokeypoint.com/3dfx.htm#raider

http://www.smokeypoint.com/3dfx.htm#blondstranger
NFS:HS - Reg method to add your d3d card to NFS:HS
NFS III - Reg method to add your d3d card to NFS:HP
-=-=-
Mad Onion - 3DMark 2001 and 3DMark 2001se -
{not the Pro} 4x4 Missile Launcher Truck Secret Game Demo screen snaps
(and secret password)
http://www.smokeypoint.com/3dmark2001.html
-=-=-

http://www.smokeypoint.com/glidos.htm

:
[...]

.................................................. ..............
at http://www.TitanNews.com

Old July 27th 03, 10:10 PM
NightSky 421

"Bill" wrote in message
Ok ATI fans I am thinking of jumping ship and coming over from a Geforce 2
MX400 ( no laughing please) :-)

I just got FS2004 and it is really a frame rate hog when flying through
clouds. Its like a slide show. I know my video card is out of date and all
my readings and research point me to the Radeon 9800 128 Pro which has
direct x 9 support. I dont mind shelling out the bucks if it would really
make things better. My AGP port is 4x so would there be a problem or

serious
loss of performance since the card is 8x?

Are there any FS2004 fans out there that can comment if this would be a

good
move? The rest of my system is a P4 1.9/512RAM/Windows XP

Thanks for any advice.

Bill

I doubt you will be sacrificing much performance at all if you only have an
AGP 4X slot compared to 8X. I don't think it's anything to worry about. In
any case, I agree the GeForce2 MX has to go. :-)

Old July 28th 03, 03:13 PM
Kenneth E. Coakley

Bill,

I'll be picking up my copy of FS2004 today and will test it out on my Radeon
9800 128 Pro in an AGP 4x slot tonight. I'll report back with my results.

Ken